Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Making the most out of OW workouts
Quote | Reply
I live as close to a pool as I do to Roth See in Germany - 30 mins. This means that during the Summer months May - September I swim OW, however I tend to go out, bang 2 - 3kms swim and come back. I enjoy it way more than going to a pool and doing lanes but I do feel it's more the most efficient use of training time. Instead of sending me to the pool, is there a way to make the most of my swim training in OW? Suggestions?

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Re: Making the most out of OW workouts [pmatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do it as a fartleg. Find some markers and swim hard from tree a to tree b.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Making the most out of OW workouts [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Do it as a fartleg. Find some markers and swim hard from tree a to tree b.

Assuming I am going for 1hr, would you do 30mins fartlek, like swim hard/easy intervals followed by 30mins normal swim?
On this, I have noticed my usual swim stroke is around 34 strokes/min (as reported by Garmin). Is this within the normal range or should I try to speed this up using something like a Finis wetronome?

Edit: Maybe I should point out I am a really slow swimmer with a 37-39mins time for a IM70.3. This is around the 2min/100m mark. Last 2.5kms OW was 2:09 / 100m, but I tend to be slightly faster on race day (guess I am good at drafting).

Paulo Matos
Last edited by: pmatos: Aug 8, 18 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Making the most out of OW workouts [pmatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often have my athletes use a tempo trainer or timex watch that beeps every so often. They'll do intervals, could be 1-8 beeps then 1-3 beeps rest. Rinse and repeat for 20-40 min.

The worse thing you can do is just go swim from point A to point B and back

You should also think about working on your OWS skillset

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply