Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sharing wheels between bikes
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of building a new Tri bike and the wheels are going to end up being my budget breaker. I have a set of Hed Jet 4+ on my other ceepo and thinking I would just switch them back and forth depending on which bike I'm riding.

Anyone else do that?
Is it a pain in the butt?
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing wheels between bikes [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a FLO 60/90 front with a FLO 90 rear which currently I'm sharing between my roadie & TT bike... normally leave the TT on my direct drive trainer in any case I feel froggy & wanna ride the TT... painful yes but worth it at the moment

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 3 bikes and 6 sets of wheels that I'm routinely swapping around from bike to bike for various reasons. All 3 bikes have 11-speed and all wheels have cassettes and tires installed so swapping them from one bike to another just takes a couple of minutes. If I had to swap tires and cassettes it would be a bit more of a hassle but still not a major issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just get a set of cheap training wheels to train on? Seems easier than constantly swapping wheels (assuming you switch between bikes fairly often).

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing wheels between bikes [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Why not just get a set of cheap training wheels to train on? Seems easier than constantly swapping wheels (assuming you switch between bikes fairly often).

How long does it take to remove wheels from one bike and put them on another? 60 seconds?
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing wheels between bikes [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure it doesn't take long, but if you're switching between bikes a couple of times per week gets annoying.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is annoying is if you have race tires / tubes. Then swapping wheels is a chore because you probably don’t want to ride on your good rubber during a training ride. So a wheel swap is a wheel, tire and inner tube swap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The n+1 rule is probably more appropriate for wheels than bikes. I always wish I had another set of wheels. I guess that makes it the 2n+2 rule for wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing wheels between bikes [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I completely agree with this... n-$1,000 is the barrier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies.
I'm good with keeping the one wheelset between the two bikes for the initial build/time being. Sounds like it's not that uncommon.

I can go for a different or at least deeper rear as funds allow next season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do it, huge pain in the ass.

It worked til I could afford a nicer set for the TT bike though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonus points, without the rush, you can wait for the right deal!!

I scored a HED Jet Disc with a powertap hub in it a while back for $800 canadian.

I MADE that one work :p
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing wheels between bikes [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Bonus points, without the rush, you can wait for the right deal!!

I scored a HED Jet Disc with a powertap hub in it a while back for $800 canadian.

I MADE that one work :p

Exactly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$1,000 for a set of training wheels isn’t required. I think the more appropriate question is this: which is more valuable to you. Having cool wheels to train on (and swap back and forth) or having a set for each bike (cheaper wheels). I bought a new set of HED Ardennes wheels from My Bike Shop for like $700 and they’re awesome training wheels. Look good, roll smooth, super high quality.
Quote Reply
Re: Sharing wheels between bikes [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my current Tri bikes I train and race on the same wheels. I think it's important to know the feel, etc. when wind catches your wheel and you're in aero position.

My plan is sometime in the next year to get a deep rear wheel and continue to swap the Jet 4 back and forth.

In the meantime I will swap both wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Flo 30s are 500$ and they are pretty nice wheels that fit somewhere between great training and low-end race wheels. I train on mine and use them for racing on gravel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done the training wheel / racing wheel separation.

Just train and race on the same wheels, no surprises race day with handling or minor brake adjustments, bike looks more badass too.
Quote Reply