Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Listening to vinyl [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Ah the good old days when you bought albums that came out of their sleeves warped and you needed to place a quarter on top of the needle to stop the skipping. If you really are going to buy a turn tab!e don't forget the black lights...And bong.

I really think the novelty would wear off in a few month. Instead take a look at these options... https://www.lifewire.com/...udio-systems-4038589

And get both a good set of headphones and a subscription to a music app that allows you to play anything anywhere. Much better decision in the long run then owning 20 albums that skip and hiss .I have been there and do not want to go back.

You're about 2 years late in that advice. Deep into the hobby at this point:

Grado Black3 - cart/needle - bottom end for Grado but fun for the time being.
Thorens TD 166mkii - turntable - restored by yours truly
Schiit Mani - phono stage/pre amp - punches well above it's weight at $100
Yamaha SR 202 - receiver - my next area of upgrade to a power amp
Klipsch RF 55 floorstanders - speakers - holding onto these

Good on the black light and bong.

Novelty of the hobby and the listening experience are no where close to wearing off. Skipping and hissing are non issues for me and the quality of sound is pretty great.

I am glad you are happy. We bought a turntable for our daughter 2 years ago because she wanted one. Gave it to Goodwill just last month but still have a bunch of albums. Now she has a good pair of headphones and could not be happier.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Last edited by: jkca1: Nov 9, 20 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Listening to vinyl [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Ah the good old days when you bought albums that came out of their sleeves warped and you needed to place a quarter on top of the needle to stop the skipping. If you really are going to buy a turn tab!e don't forget the black lights...And bong.

I really think the novelty would wear off in a few month. Instead take a look at these options... https://www.lifewire.com/...udio-systems-4038589

And get both a good set of headphones and a subscription to a music app that allows you to play anything anywhere. Much better decision in the long run then owning 20 albums that skip and hiss .I have been there and do not want to go back.

Novelty of the hobby and the listening experience are no where close to wearing off. Skipping and hissing are non issues for me and the quality of sound is pretty great.

I am glad you are happy. We bought a turntable for our daughter 2 years ago because she wanted one. Gave it to Goodwill just last month but still have a bunch of albums. Now she has a good pair of headphones and could not be happier.

Thanks. I do have probably too much fun ($) with it but so far so good. Speaking of both the listening experience and dollars though I think going the route of high quality headphones a hi res digital source is an ideal listening situation on a number of fronts. Speaking of which I've been meaning to look into some studio monitors..thanks for the reminder!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Same. I have always been into hifi, and before vinyl was heavily into SACD/DVDA and that hardware pretty much went belly up. Now I am into an expensive hobby. on my 3rd turntable (project>EAT euro>now a mofi - all belt driven TT). Phono preamp (Sutherland Insight). Musical Fidelity Integrated amp to drive my dynaudio special 40 speakers. Crazy fun hobby. Covid actually decreased my vinyl diet, so now just selectively collecting.
Quote Reply
Re: Listening to vinyl [satchmo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satchmo wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Same. I have always been into hifi, and before vinyl was heavily into SACD/DVDA and that hardware pretty much went belly up. Now I am into an expensive hobby. on my 3rd turntable (project>EAT euro>now a mofi - all belt driven TT). Phono preamp (Sutherland Insight). Musical Fidelity Integrated amp to drive my dynaudio special 40 speakers. Crazy fun hobby. Covid actually decreased my vinyl diet, so now just selectively collecting.

My vinyl diet has gone up pretty drastically during Covid. I started getting into specific pressings a year back or so usually have a discogs window up (a good example is all of the RE/RM of Pink Floyd albums that took place between 2011 and 2018 or so...those remasters are amazing).

I have started popping back into our local record store during off hours to get my record browsing fix every now and then as I really do love that experience.

How did/do you like your Project? My boss is looking into one of their midrange models. I hear really good things but on my 3rd table as well but my path was a little weird - Audio Technica lp60 to start, then a Uturn Custom Orbit (acrylic platter, upgraded the stock cart Ortofon 5e to a 10..stuff like that) up to about two months back but had a buddy shoot me a CR listing for a 40 year old German Thorenson table that required some work (working on turntables is not something I had ever done) and went for it. Made some errors but thankfully non too drastic and could not be happier with the table now.

Since, as you know, this shit can get out of hand so I'm happy knowing that the table I have is going to be running for years and has plenty to mess around with should I get bored but that also frees up time/expenses to start looking at putting a dedicated power amp in.

If you're on discogs shoot me a link and I'll do the same. Always interesting sharing and going through someone elses collection.

Now to be a good audio nerd I should plunk this in here - Anyone reading this who's eyes are starting to roll back in your head this hobby is awesome and you can keep it at a very manageable/basic level and have an great listening situation. 90% of the stuff I go on about are in the weeds and you don't have to go there. For example the Uturn table I was talking about was fantastic for me (for a couple years I think) and that thing was straight out of the box up and running in minutes (and sounded great).

I wanted to mention the above since when I first started looking at this stuff seriously (in fact I think that's what my OP was about - getting into it more) I was real close to just saying f-it because there are just too many directions to go right out of the gates. Some super savvy audio folks on this board (I'm not one of them) that can make it super easy if your interested in pursuing.
Last edited by: Skipjack: Nov 10, 20 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: Listening to vinyl [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I prefer listening to vinyl over streaming, CDs, or even DSD/Hi-Res FLAC when I can. While the digital files are more easily stored and accessed, there is something about ritual and physical process of listening to vinyl that is more deliberate and engaging. My wife and I like to spend an hour after walking the dog on the weekend mornings making breakfast, brewing coffee and listening the songs from our high school and college years.

Absolutely true for me as well. There's a thought process that goes into selecting a record from the rack, somewhat like choosing a wine based on more than just what your tastebuds crave at the moment--album art, the weight of the plate, associated memories, choosing which 4 or 5 songs to play first--that you simply don't get with digital media. Pouring a tall glass of red, dropping the needle and hearing those beautifully simple opening notes of So What through the faint vinyl crackle, man, that is an experience in itself.

I'm half inclined to buy an old Sony Walkman and the 20 or so cassette tapes that I played into oblivion back in the 80s. A very similar type of tactile experience, the resistance of the play button, the click-clacking of flipping the tape, Run-DMC kick-drumming and synthesizing your eardrums into oblivion through cheap-ass spongy headphones. Good shit.

Quote:
I'd be lying if I told you the audio difference was vast to my ears, I've done a back to back on my system with a few vinyl records that I also have the DSD or 192kHz/24bit FLAC version and the difference is slim. But there is a difference, even to my ears aren't that great after years of listening thing go bang and boom.

I keep a few select CDs, Tool and Waylon and a few others, in my Bose-equipped car stereo when I really want to hear the music. Otherwise, it's 95% streaming digital, but man I appreciate that 5% when I'm in the mood.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Listening to vinyl [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
The best part of vinyl (pre-COVID) was going to a record store an flipping through the used records and finding the great records from days gone by.

I recently located rural south and discovered two record shops within 15 minutes of home, which is funny given that I lived in one of the most densely populated areas of the state and couldn't find one within 20 miles. Northern VA really is the place where happiness goes to die.

I scored on Ebay last week, found a near pristine copy of a record I've been digging around for since last year. Cost me $80 but I'd have paid double for it. I'm saving the first listen for my first sunny day off so I can kick back with a sativa gummy and a cold beer. Can't come soon enough.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Listening to vinyl [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wanna keep this thread going so I want to put up some suggestions.

Vinyl me please (VMP) has added a country monthly curation selection for those interested. And if that style + Americana is your jam, you need to check out the Magnolia Record Club.

Tipatina's of New Orleans fame has started a record club. It looks neat. I am waiting to see more feedback before I take a dive.

And don't forget Record Store Day (RSD). They have announced the releases as of last Monday. IMO it is really good this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to reply to this one. I had the project TT for a short amount of time, due to "sharing" with the girlfriend at the time. We split, so I lost the player. I liked it. The TT had a button to switch from 33 to 45. Sort of an auto switch. I love that feature and that is why I put the EAT TT to bed, bc you had to take the platter off to move the belt. I don't have but a handful of 45 speed records, but I sure as shit don't like messing with the TT to that extent to play them. I ended up getting the MoFi TT and moving the belt is SUPER easy. I did that just yesterday.

I moved my office from brick and mortar to a home based operation. I have it set up to where my hifi system send all signals to a pair of powered speakers that can pick up the signal in my small office. I can spin all day now and I love it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next