Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for riding rolling hills -- PLEASE!
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone! I'm doing IMCHAT soon and keep hearing the course as having "lot's of rollers." As a weak cyclist, I could use all the tips I can get. Thanks.
Last edited by: Super Slo Mo: Aug 7, 18 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for riding rolling hills [Super Slo Mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a beginner cyclist I would just keep it simple. Ignore what everyone else is doing around you on the uphill portions of the rollers. Especially early in the race when people are still fresh and excited. Just ride a comfortable effort up and over the rollers. And when you're up to a nice cruising speed on the descent portion, feel free to back off a little. It's important not to back off when you reach the apex...you want to keep your steady effort all the way past the apex so you can build up speed quickly. If you're feeling like you have to back off at the apex, you did the climbing portion too hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for riding rolling hills [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I like your thoughts. Makes perfect sense. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for riding rolling hills [Super Slo Mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old adage of "shift often, shift early" works well.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for riding rolling hills -- PLEASE! [Super Slo Mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's some strong info in this course breakdown:

https://www.endurancenation.us/blog/how-to/ironman-chattanooga-the-complete-race-breakdown-by-endurance-nation/

Taking a step back, I would encourage you to learn about the difference between normalized and average power, even if you're not using a power meter. The concept behind those numbers is very very important. Super broadly speaking, in short: It's easier on your body to maintain a steady power rather than big efforts followed by relaxed efforts. You can visualize this by imagining how you'd feel going as hard as possible for 5 minutes and then a super recovery effort for another 5, or covering that same distance in whatever time it takes you at your Z2. You still cover the same distance, but one took a ton more effort. Now translate that to hills: Going deep into your efforts and really working hard up every roller and then coasting down is going to 'cost' you more than allowing yourself to slow, staying in your range, shifting down, and getting up it. Keep that power on the decent. See you in 8 weeks!

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Aug 7, 18 18:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steady, manageable effort (not redline) on the uphills, and be sure to maintain pedaling effort on the downhills to carry your speed (don't coast unless you spun out).
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for riding rolling hills -- PLEASE! [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Return for effort is bigger on uphill than downhill. So push the uphills harder than the downhills.

Don't be crazy about it, though.
Don't blow up on climbs, burning matches will make you constantly weaker later. Just be somewhat stronger on climbs than elsewhere.
Keep your pedaling going as you crest the top of hills, even if the following descent is very steep: gravity might get you to a high terminal velocity, but you'll get there a lot faster if you keep some power flowing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also add that since you're going to be eating and drinking quite often during an IM bike, use the time just before you're cresting each hill/roller (when you should be going the slowest) to do any sitting up to eat or drink. Each time you're going downhill, make sure you're in your most aerodynamic position. The ideal on a rolling course would be to stay aero at all times, but if you have to come out (especially to eat or drink), do it at the time you're going slowest.

A lot of times what you'll see with less experienced riders is that they'll put in a lot of effort on the climbs and they are working too hard to be able to eat or drink during that time. Then they start descending and try to eat or drink then. But sitting up while descending is where it will cost you the most speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for riding rolling hills -- PLEASE! [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
Return for effort is bigger on uphill than downhill. So push the uphills harder than the downhills.

Don't be crazy about it, though.
Don't blow up on climbs, burning matches will make you constantly weaker later. Just be somewhat stronger on climbs than elsewhere.
Keep your pedaling going as you crest the top of hills, even if the following descent is very steep: gravity might get you to a high terminal velocity, but you'll get there a lot faster if you keep some power flowing.

This. Think of 'squeezing' on the hills, and relaxing the pressure a little on the downhills.
Whilst the 'constant effort' is physiologically correct it doesn't take into account aero 'bang for your buck'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another instance where a power meter is very useful if you can afford one; on a rolling course, you can monitor your Normalised Power to make sure you're not exceeding your limits/abilities - particularly early on in the event.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply