Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you qualify for XTERRA World Championships??
Quote | Reply
Simply question: How do I qualify? (please talk to me like I am 5 years old)

Ok, I've read the XTERRA website several times ... and it is very confusing. It sounds like you try and rack up points, which you can do simply by racing a lot... And the top points leader goes to Hawaii. Right?

Kinda sounds like you just need to race as much as you can! $$$. But is it only AG winners with the most points that go? I'm in the 40-44 age group, is there more than one slot in my region (I'm in California).

Any clarification is greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: How do you qualify for XTERRA World Championships?? [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you either qualify through points or race a regional championship (xterra utah, xterra alabama, etc) and place high enough on the podium (generally 1st or 2nd) in your age group and you get an automatic qualifier.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you qualify for XTERRA World Championships?? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can also get to Worlds by qualifying at Nats in Ogden Utah in Sept ?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you qualify for XTERRA World Championships?? [Flanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but can I skipped flying to Utah, and just rack up points locally? I just want to know the options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since not all that many people (who ride mountain bikes and can swim) can afford to just up and fly to Hawaii for a race, they do typically have some at large entries, first come first served (although oddly they are offered way in advance - November of last year for this year's race...BUT the waitlist is apparently still active even now so it may benefit from unclaimed slots over the year). Not that you'd want to build your whole plan around getting lucky in that way for a future year, but it's probably considerably better odds than, say, the IMH lottery:

https://www.xterraplanet.com/...arge-open-december-1

(and, the other replies are correct, you don't necessarily need to accrue points, you can win a slot outright)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You basically have 3 options as stated in a number of posts.
1. Sign up for General entry as soon as race registration opens.... usually late Nov, early Dec.
2. Do as many Xterra races as possible and accumulate points to qualify
3. Go to Regional or National race and try to get a top AG finish. Usually pretty tough considering your 40-44 AG group
Race in Maui is worth the effort. Amazing course
Quote Reply
Re: How do you qualify for XTERRA World Championships?? [evfitness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
evfitness wrote:
Race in Maui is worth the effort. Amazing course

I may be biased (did it 2016) but that course is not really "amazing." Nothing technical on bike (except in 2016, extreme mud), run is just up then down. Swim is fun though.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you qualify for XTERRA World Championships?? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also did the mud fest of 2016. Not a fun day condition wise.... but if you have to appreciate the beauty of Maui and the view from that ridge. Agreed that the course is not technical. Sadly we got big surf and too much mud in 16. Starting in one of the last AG waves by the time we hit the bike trail it was toast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim is fun. Isn't this the last year at this venue in Maui? Or did they renew already?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do as many races as you can in your region. They take the regional champion at minimum and it sounds like in yours they'll take second as well. They add up all the points from the races in the region that year to get the regional champion and then the next places after that. I don't know how popular it is in your region, but I would suspect if you are reasonably towards the front of the pack (and you do most of the races in your region) you will make it.

I made it in 2016 from the southeast region but didn't go. Still kicking myself for it! They also let you defer it a year of you want.
Last edited by: Rossguy: Aug 7, 18 19:33
Quote Reply
Re: How do you qualify for XTERRA World Championships?? [cldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack the thread here but I think the OP has been answered. Or I hope so!

But where did you hear about this renewing of maui course? If this is the last year are there thoughts on a new location and course?

The maui course as is, or has been over recent history really isnt all that technical or fun. The location is amazing and I love going there, but it would be nice to see them do something to that course. The swim, aside from doing wave starts last year (it should always be a massive group start!! please dont water down xterra!) is great. Rough seas. No wetsuits ever. Perfect. Make it a mass start again and never change that... PLEASE.
The bike could absolutely be changed slightly to make it more interesting than a 75min climb at the start. Or longer.. easily turning us off that climb halfway up and doing some of the techy-turny stuff that usually is at the end, and then get us back on up toward the top would be great. Mix up that long climb.
And the same for the run.
My point is there is potential there for a balanced, techy fun course that isnt basically straight up and down.

daved
Quote Reply
Re: How do you qualify for XTERRA World Championships?? [Flanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flanders wrote:
I think you can also get to Worlds by qualifying at Nats in Ogden Utah in Sept ?

Yes, you can. I got a roll-down slot there last year.
Quote Reply