Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Work training balence [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I prioritized work like I do training, I'd probably be a lot more successful.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Work training balence [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
If I prioritized work like I do training, I'd probably be a lot more successful.

ha ha I hear you!
Quote Reply
Re: Work training balence [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
....I contracted for 10 years so was paid for every hour I worked hence when I went permanent I was very reluctant to work for free especially for an investment bank. We only get one shot at this, I want to get to 50 having lived a full life, not having spent half of it in an office :) No problems with people who love their job or happy to do the hours just not my gig.
I'm the opposite but have the same attitude. I was staff for years before switching to contracting. For a long time I used to do 50hr weeks as standard and 60-80hr weeks when things got crazy. My pay was fairly good for the 37hr week my job description suggested as the norm. But I was gettinv nothing for the extra hours. I was being screwed. I told them to hire more people on numerous occasions but it became clear they thought I'd just keep doing what I was doing. So I walked away. They hired 3 people to replace me. I was being a sucker and regret I didn't leave much sooner. Now I typically work much shorter hours for better pay but when the hours do go up, so does the compensation. A much fairer arrangement.

Don't be a sucker. Don't do it for the company. And don't imagine the company cares about your wellbeing. Most companies will take what they can get and feel no gratitude.
Quote Reply
Re: Work training balence [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
zedzded wrote:
....I contracted for 10 years so was paid for every hour I worked hence when I went permanent I was very reluctant to work for free especially for an investment bank. We only get one shot at this, I want to get to 50 having lived a full life, not having spent half of it in an office :) No problems with people who love their job or happy to do the hours just not my gig.

I'm the opposite but have the same attitude. I was staff for years before switching to contracting. For a long time I used to do 50hr weeks as standard and 60-80hr weeks when things got crazy. My pay was fairly good for the 37hr week my job description suggested as the norm. But I was gettinv nothing for the extra hours. I was being screwed. I told them to hire more people on numerous occasions but it became clear they thought I'd just keep doing what I was doing. So I walked away. They hired 3 people to replace me. I was being a sucker and regret I didn't leave much sooner. Now I typically work much shorter hours for better pay but when the hours do go up, so does the compensation. A much fairer arrangement.

Don't be a sucker. Don't do it for the company. And don't imagine the company cares about your wellbeing. Most companies will take what they can get and feel no gratitude.

agree with both of you. I had a boss say to me a few years ago when I worked at GE capital when I needed to take some days off "this company has been in business well over 100 years, if they cant handle you taking a few days off, then something is really wrong". sadly, the corporate world, and definitely here in the US, has turned into a walking death march. we are nothing more than an asset that can be disposed of at any moment to save $1. its harder to go contract here because of the healthcare. best care is provided by larger employers. many that do go contract have a spouse with full time employment. I've also seen it where people sell their soul to move up and over people and watch it inevitably fail as their supporters move on, or their role within the company is not required. companies show no loyalty and now people don't either. we don't get inspired by our company leaders because we know its all lip service.
Quote Reply
Re: Work training balence [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From experience, I would definitely say that above all else you should be trying to prioritise getting in enough sleep. If you don't, you are going to be struggling against a massive amount of training and work induced cortisol- not normally associated with good health.

Are you still training for races, or has it turned into more of an endeavour to keep fit? If the former then I would say having great coach who is always at the other end of a phone would be very useful (if you don't already). As much as they'll offer in the classic sense of a coach, it'll also be good to have someone to keep an objective eye on how tired/ready you are to actually train. You don't want to run yourself into the ground, as I'm sure you know!

I'm not at all a morning person, so I make sure my sessions are in the evening. Without this option I'd love to know if you're the same and how/if you manage to get quality in when you're really not wired for it?

I wrote a blog post on this really recently too- probably not so useful for someone in quite a time squeeze as you, but maybe some value to be had - training with a full time job
Quote Reply

Prev Next