Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Portland ICE Protest Fallout
Quote | Reply
Interesting the way things shook out, and now the ICE agents and union are demanding an apology from the mayor, an apology that does not look to be forthcoming. I'm troubled by a mayor/police commissioner that decides on a police force doing their duty based on his own political leanings. Seems fraught with dangers.
-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/anarchy-breaks-out-in-portland-with-the-mayors-blessing-1533331454

"A mob surrounded ICE’s office in Southwest Portland June 19. They barricaded the exits and blocked the driveway. They sent “guards” to patrol the doors, trapping workers inside. At night they laid on the street, stopping traffic at a critical junction near a hospital. Police stayed away. “At this time I am denying your request for additional resources,” the Portland Police Bureau’s deputy chief, Robert Day, wrote to federal officers pleading for help. Hours later, the remaining ICE workers were finally evacuated by a small federal police team. The facility shut down for more than a week.

Signs called ICE employees “Nazis” and “white supremacists.” Others accused them of running a “concentration camp,” and demanded open borders and prosecution of ICE agents. Along a wall, vandals wrote the names of ICE staff, encouraging others to publish their private information online.

Federal workers were defenseless. An ICE officer, who asked that his name not be published, told me one of his colleagues was trailed in a car and confronted when he went to pick up his daughter from summer camp. Later people showed up at his house. Another had his name and photo plastered on flyers outside his home accusing him of being part of the “Gestapo.”

Where were the police? Ordered away by Democratic Mayor Ted Wheeler, who doubles as police commissioner. “I do not want the @PortlandPolice to be engaged or sucked into a conflict, particularly from a federal agency that I believe is on the wrong track,” he tweeted. “If [ICE is] looking for a bailout from this mayor, they are looking in the wrong place.”
"
-
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ice-union-alleges-portland-mayor-violated-constitution-by-denying-911-support/ar-BBLhpYT
Quote Reply
Re: Portland ICE Protest Fallout [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're troubled by politics? The entire immigration issue is about politics/votes/money. Not enough people really give a shit about the illegals because if they did we would have a sane immigration policy.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Portland ICE Protest Fallout [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
You're troubled by politics? The entire immigration issue is about politics/votes/money. Not enough people really give a shit about the illegals because if they did we would have a sane immigration policy.

Enough people gave a shit to make Donald Trump president.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Portland ICE Protest Fallout [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
dave_w wrote:
I'm troubled by a mayor/police commissioner that decides on a police force doing their duty based on his own political leanings.
Isn't this exactly what the executive branch of the federal government is doing when it chooses which laws it feels like upholding? Personally I think the local, state and federal executive branches should grow up a little and help each other out. But there seems to be zero desire for compromise anymore.

Not really. This thing in Portland was in many ways just a mob committing assaults and other crimes. But because their crimes were committed against ICE agents (and in one case a food vender (because she sold food to ICE agents)) the Mayor decided that that was ok.

People who have nothing to do with ICE were assaulted, called the cops and cops did nothing. Do you what comes from this type of shit?

People will decide (be forced) to defend themselves. And that’s when it gets really ugly.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Portland ICE Protest Fallout [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I said sane immigration policy.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
-
So you're good with the mayor's actions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is a "federal police team"? I think I've seen that term recently but don't recall it's use in the past. What I recall is that any federal agent would be identified by agency, e.g., FBI, Federal Marshall, ATF, etc.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I said sane immigration policy.

What you don't think that an extremely expensive wall that would significantly damage the environment while also taking land away from American citizens to prevent a fraction of the illegal immigrants is not a sane policy. Did you not hear the chants? Listen to the chants and stop thinking, then it will seem sane.

And of course the extra sane part of this is that somehow Mexico will pay for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Portland is a cesspool, not surprised in the least. Feds should have come in hard and knocked some heads.
Quote Reply
Re: Portland ICE Protest Fallout [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
What is a "federal police team"? I think I've seen that term recently but don't recall it's use in the past. What I recall is that any federal agent would be identified by agency, e.g., FBI, Federal Marshall, ATF, etc.

There are Federal Police officers that guard the major Federal building in most major cities that are under the Federal Protective Services agency within the DHS umbrella: https://www.dhs.gov/...l-protective-service

The U.S. Marshal Service also serves some of the police functions for the Federal Government and are part of the Department of Justice. Other agencies such as the ATF and FBI sometimes assist the Marshal Service depending upon the mission.

In this case it was likely the Federal Protective Service was call upon to assist with evacuating the ICE office.
Quote Reply