Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mission: Impossible Fallout
Quote | Reply
I would assume slowguy has seen it or will, but I didn't see a review.

I thought it was awesome. Knowing that the stunts are "real" makes the INSANE things they do in these movies all the more enjoyable to watch. The moments are truly cringe worthy and heart-stopping.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Aug 6, 18 16:08
Quote Reply
Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I waited for SG to make a post too.
I really liked it and thought it was top 2 in the MI series.
I loved the motorcycle/car chase scene (aside from him getting through intersections). I thought the camera action put you in the middle of the scene.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a behind the scenes of the stunt work. Really great stuff

And I loved the movie too.
Quote Reply
Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMW Motorrad product placement.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the screenwriting is cringe-worthy, so many breathless proclamations in the movie, can't these people just make a statement without it sounding like it's life-altering.

That said, the action scenes is what you pay for and this one delivered. I loved the couple sleight-of-hand reveals but the motorcycle scenes and finale with the helicopters were worth the price of admission. I don't see many movies on the big screen, can't justify the cost, but I'm glad I watched this one in the theater, it's worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two of my local cinemas have the following options for this movie:
Regular
Real 3D
IMAX
Ultra AVX
Ultra AVX 3D
DBox: Motion System where the seats move along with the action.
DBox 3D:
VIP: Dinner and drinks served at seats.
VIP 3D

All of the above are choose your own seat. Whatever happened to buying a ticket, going into the theatre and sitting down?

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of 3D movies, but would you recommend the 3D option in this case? Or IMAX bigger screen and clearer picture be good?
@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the movie in IMAX (but not 3D), and it was impressive. I don't know if movies are "better" in that format unless they were specifically planned that way, but it makes the action scenes way more intense.

I'm not a fan of virtually any 3D movie unless it was specifically shot IN 3D, and not upconverted. I think the only 3D movie I've seen that I enjoyed was Avatar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you...the only 3D movie I enjoyed was Avatar
….and....
the only Smell-O-Vision movie I enjoyed (well, the only one I ever saw/smelled) was Polyester: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyester_(film)

@Kid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's amazing to me the camera equipment & technology they have now to get some of these shots.

I thought it was because I wasn't expecting much, but I really enjoy the movie,
Quote Reply
Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Some of the screenwriting is cringe-worthy...

I started watching the latest Star Wars movie the other day and had a similar thought. Is Hollywood filled with screenwriters? Why the hell is the dialogue and scenes in movies so awful so much of the time? it's like they took any old high school kid and said write us a movie.

The opening scene where the fighter pilot gets the empire general on the radio and then gets him to hold while he tries to get Princess Leia on the other end is just fucking stupid at so many levels.

And then the rebels attack and for some reason their bombers can only move at the speed of a WWI era plane for some reason.

But it looked cool, so I guess just fuck any other aspect of movie making.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom Cruise seems to have gotten a lot of negative press over the years primarily due to his links to his church but I have to hand it to him; he comes across as the consummate professional on set. Meticulous with his planning and stunts. The fact that he does everything himself, which I didn’t believe in the past. That fact must make it so much easier for directors not having to worry about getting the wrong angle of a stunt double. The guy has huge balls. Bigger than Duffy it would seem.

I’ve heard other stories about him being very nice to other cast and crew members.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He can drive better than Uma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5NzLPi8WU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we please address the hairpiece that Simon Pegg is wearing? He has gotten more hair in every movie. MI:III he was just a guy going bald but in the last three movies he has a big head of hair. They could have made a joke about it even!

Also, what's the explanation for the absence of Jeremy Renner? He was a great addition in MI:4, marginalized in MI:5, and gone from this one. I thought he was a great addition to the franchise.
Quote Reply
Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Tom Cruise seems to have gotten a lot of negative press over the years primarily due to his links to his church but I have to hand it to him; he comes across as the consummate professional on set. Meticulous with his planning and stunts. The fact that he does everything himself, which I didn’t believe in the past. That fact must make it so much easier for directors not having to worry about getting the wrong angle of a stunt double. The guy has huge balls. Bigger than Duffy it would seem.

I’ve heard other stories about him being very nice to other cast and crew members.

I agree. I was really impressed with everything he did in the video, from the stunts, the focus, the attention to detail and the appreciation he showed the team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's busy at my new job, and here in Japan, I don't always get to see new movies as quickly as I did in the states. I just saw it last weekend, and I'll put together a review.

As for Renner, he wasn't in it because, when they were shooting, he had potential competing requirements for Avengers: Infinity War, and there was uncertainty over whether he would be available depending on which film was shooting when. Obviously, it turns out they didn't use him in Avengers.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was awful. Though I was in a foul mood

I like TC. I don't think he appears to take himself too seriously but I think we have already passed peak MI
Quote Reply
Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't like it either. I had seen the previous one in the theatre in 2015 and, for the life of me, could not remember anything about the antagonists (The Apostles) or the MI6 spy, which made it impossible for me to keep up when they were referencing MI: Rogue Nation.

I'll watch MI 5 and 6 again to see if it changes my mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Mission: Impossible Fallout [Brandon_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't watched MI since #3 or #4, but still liked Fallout. Always a good action flick. My son learned the hard way, to not drink a half-gallon of soda over the first half of the movie. Poor kid was dying by the end.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen a MI flick at the theaters since 2, but went to see this based on early reviews/RT rating. Extremely solid.

If you don't like vertigo this isn't the movie for you.

I found the most uncomfortable scene was him standing alone on top of that building.....not a fan of heights, and the way that one was shot really introduced a squirm factor.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Last edited by: mopdahl: Aug 11, 18 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't mind it as a popcorn flick. You knew that the characters should have been dead long ago, but here we are.

I had two problems with the plot:
-The missing Soviet nukes plot line is a little tiresome at this point, no? I mean Austin Powers was making fun of that plot trope 20 years ago
-If you're an evil mastermind with two nukes, why do you arm both nukes and then put them both in the same place? So it can be extra nuked?
Quote Reply