Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainerRoad Full IM Plan: Question for Those Who Have Done it
Quote | Reply
I just started week 12 of the High Volume Full IM Base Training phase.

This is my 1st attempt at a structured workout of any type, and I have loved it. In 11 weeks, I have not missed a single workout, including last Sat's 4:45 trainer ride.

I have a problem that is really getting to me mentally. I only have 8 weeks (including this week) until my 1st IM (Chattanooga). I dont know if I should go into the build phase or into the Specialty phase, or a mixture.

When I look at the build phase, there arent a lot of hours or long rides on the bike, but some shorter higher intensity rides. On the Specialty, there are a lot of long rides.

So, I cant figure out if I need the intensity or the "more time in the saddle" route.

I am new to biking and only been training on the bike for about 6-7 months. FTP is a whopping 175, or it was 11 weeks ago.

Thoughts on how to proceed with the final 7 weeks of training? I really want to have the confidence that I can ride the duration (looking at 6:45ish).

Also - I swim 11,000 yards per week - including one straight 4200 yard set per week. I also run 25-32 miles per week with a 13-16 mile run every other weekend. I have a nagging foot injury that arises when running more miles per week, which sucks because I prefer running over anything else.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Aug 6, 18 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Full IM Plan: Question for Those Who Have Done it [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should probably post this in the TR thread. But the specialty phase is what you want, that's what it is defined for - race specific preparation. I'm doing IMChoo as well and will be doing the specialty phase workouts during the week.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Full IM Plan: Question for Those Who Have Done it [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
You should probably post this in the TR thread. But the specialty phase is what you want, that's what it is defined for - race specific preparation. I'm doing IMChoo as well and will be doing the specialty phase workouts during the week.

I agree with this; you will want to skip ahead to specialty and count backwards the weeks to your goal race, since the workouts become more race specific as you get closer to your goal IM. Kudos for making it through the high volume plan; I struggled to keep up with my recovery on the mid volume plan.

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Full IM Plan: Question for Those Who Have Done it [sullytriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I thought, as well. But the TR people told me to do 5 weeks of the build phase and the 2 taper weeks of specially phase.

But looking at the build phase, there are fewer long rides than there were in the base phase. And every week, one of the rides is a 1 hour recovery ride at low intensity.

It's got me all freaked out since this is my 1st IM and 1st structured training. These 12 weeks were just following the plan, but now I have to modify and don't want to modify the wrong way.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad Full IM Plan: Question for Those Who Have Done it [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
That's what I thought, as well. But the TR people told me to do 5 weeks of the build phase and the 2 taper weeks of specially phase.

But looking at the build phase, there are fewer long rides than there were in the base phase. And every week, one of the rides is a 1 hour recovery ride at low intensity.

It's got me all freaked out since this is my 1st IM and 1st structured training. These 12 weeks were just following the plan, but now I have to modify and don't want to modify the wrong way.

Hey Spartan 420!

Believe it or not, those shorter, higher intensity rides will generate a much more significant boost in fitness and FTP than low intensity, long duration riding. What this will translate to on race day is a higher sustained power since your pacing will be based on a percentage of your FTP.

While you may be a little concerned about your ability to maintain power for the full duration, it really isn't neccessary to ride your target distance or duration before your event. Look at an event like the Dirty Kanza 200. Those riders would never ride 200 miles on gravel leading up to their event. It's much more about your fitness than your experience at a certain distance/duration. If you'd like a bit more info on this, check out this Blog Article from a little while back.

In our plans, the Specialty Phase is like the icing on the cake. It is much more better to focus on the ingredients (Base) and the Baking of the Cake (Build) than to skip the middle step and start smearing icing on top of cake batter.

I hope that clears things up a bit, let me know if you have any questions!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply