Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best tires for enve 7.8 - Ultra puncture resistant
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,

I am having a huge difficulty to change tubes on the enves (never faced that with mavics nor shimanos wheels - i know how to change tubes and changed a lot of them already). The hard part of it on enves is putting the tire back in place, it Is almost impossible to put the tire back without hurting the tubes.

So my question is ... should i go tubeless or use a gator hard shell tire (or a 4 season). I am runnjng on vittorias now.

Any help is very much appreciated ! Tks!

Leo
Quote Reply
Re: Best tires for enve 7.8 - Ultra puncture resistant [leontuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use turbo cottons.. not ultra but I've had good luck.

Are you running Tubeless or tubes.

Tubes = talc is your friend
Tubeless = soapy warm water
Quote Reply
Re: Best tires for enve 7.8 - Ultra puncture resistant [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using turbo cottons on 7.8 ?

Even my mechanic has to use one big tool to bead the vittorias in the enves.

I am running tubes, tried to use talc, got easier but still my fear is to get road punctures and not being able to put the tire back
Quote Reply
Re: Best tires for enve 7.8 - Ultra puncture resistant [leontuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes using TC on 7.8 and yes I have destroyed a latex tube once or twice. :) You just have to take your time and be watchful of the tube...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a way to bring this with you on the bike? You can cut a bit of the handle down.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack/dp/B001AYML7K

Quote Reply
Re: Best tires for enve 7.8 - Ultra puncture resistant [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my tire bead jack trying to put tires on the 7.8s...go figure.

The key is trying to get the tube into the rim seat before getting the tire over the bead. If I do this successfully then I dont have problems with hurting the tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental GP TT's pop on my 7.8 without too much effort
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubeless wheels are going to be harder to mount a tire than non-tubeless wheels. And if you also use a tubeless tire (with or without a tube), it will be even harder to mount. Tubeless needs much tighter tolerances to make sure it air tight.

I suggest using only very thin rim strips, like Stan’s. You can also throw the tire in the clothes dryer for a bit a heat up the rubber and make it easier to stretch.

Then, good technique mounting the tire really does help. Put one side of the tire on the wheel, and place it in the deep center channel of the rim. Then, starting from the side opposite the valve, do the same with the other bead of the tire. Work it all the way around making sure both side beads of the tire are in the center channel.
Then, sometimes you just have to give ‘er a lil hell and rolle the final few inches around the valve stem into the rim.

Alex Arman

Strava
Last edited by: doublea334: Aug 6, 18 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
leontuna wrote:
Hey folks,

I am having a huge difficulty to change tubes on the enves (never faced that with mavics nor shimanos wheels - i know how to change tubes and changed a lot of them already). The hard part of it on enves is putting the tire back in place, it Is almost impossible to put the tire back without hurting the tubes.

So my question is ... should i go tubeless or use a gator hard shell tire (or a 4 season). I am runnjng on vittorias now.

Any help is very much appreciated ! Tks!

Leo

Are you planning to use the tires just for training or racing?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s-works tubeless and don't even carry a spare. tubeless saved my race on those rims at WC's last year. Very hard rim for tire changes and I am good at it. In a race, forget it. Best rr and puncture resistent, the s-works tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tires for enve 7.8 - Ultra puncture resistant [aavlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aavlee wrote:
Find a way to bring this with you on the bike? You can cut a bit of the handle down.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack/dp/B001AYML7K

Yea so I bought one of these to help get tires onto my 7.8s. It doesn't work. Oh sure it works great getting tires onto regular wheels. But nothing is going to help get a tire onto a 7.8 set other than patience and careful handling of tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tires for enve 7.8 - Ultra puncture resistant [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:

This is what I use on my 7.8s and they are damn near impossible to get on for me!
Quote Reply
Re: Best tires for enve 7.8 - Ultra puncture resistant [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training,

For racing i guess i will be using Gp4000 SII or Vittorias. But if i go tubeless it will be Schwalbe all the way for training and racing.

At least until more tubeless options come to the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Best tires for enve 7.8 - Ultra puncture resistant [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
SteveM wrote:

This is what I use on my 7.8s and they are damn near impossible to get on for me!

I struggled at first, but once I figured out how to move the tyre into the center of the rim and shift as much of it towards the opposite side from the valve it became a bunch easier.
Quote Reply