Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stomach problems aero
Quote | Reply
Always have stomach problems (bloating, vomitting) on the bike in the aero postion (never on a roadbike where intensity is much higher).

Starts very early no matter what I drink (sportsdrink, water...).

Can a less agressive drop be a solution (raise arm pads)? Other solutions?
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach problems aero [Testrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you very crunched up - might be worth stretching out your position and opening the hip angle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s can definitely help, post a pic. That said, does it only occur after swimming?
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach problems aero [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it only occurs after swimming (was just a 1000m swim, 100 km bike afterwards).

I can not reproduce it in training (without a swim).

But in training I also sit upright to drink/eat (very small pause).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try some gravol, it’s not the aero position, it’s the sea sickness:) ginger is your friend.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Aug 6, 18 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a lot of digestion problems in long races. I don't eat or drink in sprints. I take one gel and maybe 1/2 bottle during bike in Oly. I never feel bonked or bloated.

But I start to have problems in 1/2s, since I can't skirt calorie or fluid needs. My best 1/2s have been hungry and thirsty; very scanty consumption after practicing that empty and dry sensation; and I basically hit the finish surviving on fumes. At my best, ketones were my friend.

My ploy falls apart in fulls. In my 20s, I regularly went 1:56 for Oly, 4:15 for half, but 11 for full (that's a brief cartoon of a decade of work). Now I am in my late 40s, I am still an 11-hour guy for full (and a whole lot slower in the shorter races, but somehow I am more at peace with that).

I have been specifically tracking my calories and fluid ounces per hour. In training, I can do 100 miles on the bike, then run adequately, after X calories and X ounces per hour. But, come race day, I still can't get enough in to have any power at the end of the bike and throughout the run. Actually, it's a nausea and bloating problem (and incapacitating lassitude) before it's a pure power and foot speed crisis.

Your post makes me take more seriously an idea that only came up this year. I swim at best once per week, usually about 2k. (Those who struggle with swimming will hate me. I can do 21 minutes for 1500m and sub-60 for 2.4 miles, both off 1x per week.) Yes, I am wrecked after swimming. It's a problem of technique/suffering mismatch with preparation/fitness.

I wonder if "over-swimming" might account for the bloating problems of some triathletes who otherwise seem to have nutrition nailed in practice. I specifically agree with the weird contrast between triathlon and bike racing. I never feel bloated in bike racing.

BTW, I can consume any volume very rapidly and still put out. My first real beer mile was 7:15 and I felt awesome. I have done 18 minute for medium pizza and 2 miles (ie one slice per lap).

Do you feel like your problems are specifically post-swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have that problem. I think it was from swallowing a small amount of water and air during the swim portion of the race. It would only happen during racing and not in training.

For some reason the hot weather formula from Infinit settles my stomach so I can eat and drink on schedule. I'm not sure if they sell the hot weather formula any more but I moved to the speed formula and it works just as well.

I'm not saying it will work for you but it may be worth a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Stomach problems aero [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My story is really a copy/paste of yours :-)

I drink 1/2 bottle for olympic. Works perfectly. 2u5 min

70.3 gives already a problem at the end of the bike. 4u30 minutes if I do not bonk

But IM is impossible with such a small amount of drinks/food. 11u (lots of walking)

I am going to give Gravol a try. Maybe incorporate a very fast swim with a fast bike to reproduce the problem in training.

But I am a litte bit lost because it really starts very early on the bike. I wait 30 minutes after the swim before drinking small amounts. I drink 750 ml the first 2 hours and even then my stomach is not digesting anything. Same heart rate as in training, no spikes etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm
we will need compare notes after a few trials
I am really glad you started this thread
been needing a kick in the arse to do swim/bike sessions
Quote Reply