Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which device for Zwift
Quote | Reply
Hi,

My ipad died, iphone too small, and my laptop from work is blocked for Zwift -- what devide would you recommend?

I havent bought a tech device for about 7 years so quite lost. These are the criteria:

-- I do not care about fancy brands
-- needs to be reliable which might rule out some of the very cheap stuff
-- would be great to use also for netflix stream etc but not looking for a performance machine
-- could be a lap top but a tablet sort of thing is also completely fine
-- need to work with Wahoo too
-- probably dreaming but a price tag around or below USD 500 would be great

Any recommendations

Thanks
Last edited by: andreasjs: Aug 6, 18 3:05
Quote Reply
Re: Which device for Zwift [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apple TV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could get an Apple TV 4K and a nice smallish ~32inch 4K tv for $500. Or a new iPad for well under $500. Or spend $500 on a computer. Or a little more gets you a bigger iPad Pro. Many options at that price point.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple TV 4K (Even with a non 4K TV, it's the one to go with)

Here's my take on the whole Zwift on Apple TV 4K experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVkjmeW6AM

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Which device for Zwift [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't anticipate ever using (or simply wanting to test) any other training apps (ie: Road Grand Tours, VirtuGO, TrainerRoad, etc.), then the Apple TV 4K is definitely the best bang-for-the-buck. Otherwise, a small Windows gaming PC (maybe a used Alienware Alpha) will offer a bit more versatility. If you go the PC route, I definitely recommend keeping the system as "clean" as possible. Seems like a lot of the issues folks have with applications like Zwift are self-induced by having other (conflicting) stuff installed. That's another advantage of the Apple TV (less interaction between installed applications.) Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Which device for Zwift [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
You could get an Apple TV 4K and a nice smallish ~32inch 4K tv for $500. Or a new iPad for well under $500. Or spend $500 on a computer. Or a little more gets you a bigger iPad Pro. Many options at that price point.

Why not just a Lightning to HDMI cable and a TV?
Is there any advantage to Apple TV vs just using your iphone and cable to a TV?
Quote Reply
Re: Which device for Zwift [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

Lots of options and workarounds, but the Apple TV is just more convenient. Works all the time, doesn't need recharging or connecting/disconnecting cables. Which is especially nice if you have a dedicated bike and trainer setup that never moves.

If money is not an issue, then a PC is probably the best option, but it does come with the requirement of a little more technical knowledge on the users part.
Quote Reply
Re: Which device for Zwift [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
MKirk wrote:

Lots of options and workarounds, but the Apple TV is just more convenient.

Can you or anyone elaborate on the "workarounds" needed when using an iphone w/ lightning to HDMI cable?
Reason I ask is I just replace my 20 year old Cyclops Fluid 2 with an Elite Direto so I'm in the same boat as planning on using Zwift. I was just planning on going the iphone route to my TV, but if this setup requires some "workarounds" that are a PITA, I'm ok going the Apple TV route if it's just going to be that much easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Which device for Zwift [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

Lightning to HDMI isn't a straight mirroring, there's some kind of compression/upscale happening. The cable itself has an ARM processor with 256MB of RAM inside of it... and is why it's so damn expensive. Things that look nice on a small phone screen rarely look as nice upscaled on an external screen. It works, it's just not as you'd expect.

Also as pointed out above - charging, not being able to use your phone at the time, etc.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Which device for Zwift [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find the Apple branded cable works best. I have one hooked up to an iPad that I use on my treadmill and I haven’t had any problems. More importantly, the wife hasn’t had any problems.

You are right that the cable is doing some sort of processing. I’m not sure it’s upscaling though as the phones generally have higher resolution that the tv or monitor it’s plugged into.

I do agree with you that the quality isn’t fantastic but it’s definitely good enough for Zwift.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fyi if you wanted to go with a small form factor computer i posted an alienware for sale a few days ago.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_F2/FS%3A_Alienware_Alpha_R2_(small_form_factor_PC)_P6696977/?page=unread#unread

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply