Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crazzzy Question. Do some swim coaches purposily drag out the process of proper swimming for their own business interests? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if your friend never looks like ‘a good swimmer’ he can probably still make massive improvements in technique, strength, endurance, and even mobility. But for a swimmer like that - ya, I’d prob not use video feedback, that’s just cruel ;). I often use video when a swimmer who needs a confidence boost, does something amazing, so they can have that image to reference. Works really well with both 11-14yr old girls who have the swim of their life off of a good taper, and with age group men who finally get something AND ‘feel’ it, and can then match the feeling with the picture. Gives them a positive self image for future reference.
That, to me, is the difference between coaching and teaching, described differently here by someone else. Anyone who can teach people and knows swimming, can teach a swimming curriculum, but knowing how to coach an individual, well.... that kinda coach is worth patience... and it might take that coach a bit of time to figure out what methods are going to work. To tie back to original question - sorry for my tangent on video there - I just don’t see swim coaches withholding progress, even if they are ‘withholding’ certain tools.
Quote Reply
Re: Crazzzy Question. Do some swim coaches purposily drag out the process of proper swimming for their own business interests? [LauraM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LauraM wrote:
Even if your friend never looks like ‘a good swimmer’ he can probably still make massive improvements in technique, strength, endurance, and even mobility. But for a swimmer like that - ya, I’d prob not use video feedback, that’s just cruel ;). I often use video when a swimmer who needs a confidence boost, does something amazing, so they can have that image to reference. Works really well with both 11-14yr old girls who have the swim of their life off of a good taper, and with age group men who finally get something AND ‘feel’ it, and can then match the feeling with the picture. Gives them a positive self image for future reference.
That, to me, is the difference between coaching and teaching, described differently here by someone else. Anyone who can teach people and knows swimming, can teach a swimming curriculum, but knowing how to coach an individual, well.... that kinda coach is worth patience... and it might take that coach a bit of time to figure out what methods are going to work. To tie back to original question - sorry for my tangent on video there - I just don’t see swim coaches withholding progress, even if they are ‘withholding’ certain tools.

Ya, if he were willing to do some serious work in the pool, he could def improve in all those areas. Interesting take on the use of video, i can espec see how some young girls might need a self-confidence boost. And regarding the OP's original question, no way any swim instructor or coach is going to drag things out just to get paid more, just no way. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next