Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Someone explain this to me, please
Quote | Reply
I was at Boulder 70.3 yesterday as a Sherpa for 140triwife. After her bike portion, I retrieved her bike and other stuff from transition, and schlepped it all back to the car. We are quite into repurposing stuff: it used to be my bike (3 x IM, 3 x 1/2 over several years) and my wetsuit. I hung her wetsuit and towel over the aero bars, strapped her shoes to the top tube, hung her helmet from the handlebars, and pedaled the whole thing back to the car, without wearing my own bike shoes or shirts. The car was in the dry, dusty dirt parking lot, and I rode the whole assemblage right up to the car.

So, PLEASE explain this: why in the world were people CARRYING their bikes across that dusty parking lot? I mean, they could just roll those along while walking, right? They just completed riding 56 miles sitting and riding the bikes, on chip seal and bump roads. Why in the world do those need to be picked up? I saw at least 3 instances of that in less than 3 minutes.

Help me out, because I'm really judgey here, as I guess those people carrying their bikes could tell when I gave them the look of absolute incredulity.
Quote Reply
Re: Someone explain this to me, please [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because they value their wives and their wives bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people seem to believe the gravel will pop the tires I think.... Even without someone on the bike. I notice this at every race at the res.

Some places (austin 70.3) that have crazy goathead sticker burrs in the grass do require carrying the bike, but the res and the dirt parking lot is not one of those places.

Edit: I actually took my felt IA on a gravel ride with some friends, on 23c gp4000sii tires. It's definitely not a good choice for that - the vibration!!! - but the tires were just fine.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 5, 18 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: Someone explain this to me, please [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 2x pound bike being pushed at walking speed... You could roll bikes over goat head burrs, glass, and tacks and not get a flat just walking a bike. I rode a bike with my 1XY pound weight, a wetsuit, towel, shoes, helmet, and goggles on 105# inflation and the bike is fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they might be thinking that the gravel/small pebbles/dirt might collect on tires and scuff it scrape up their bike a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because, thankfully, we're not all the same.

I just know there's a thread with some guy asking, "Did you see the guy riding the overloaded bike through the parking lot at Boulder? What's up with that?"
Quote Reply
Re: Someone explain this to me, please [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They went on a 56 Mike bike race. They presumably transported the bikes on roof, hitch, or rear racks...
Quote Reply
Re: Someone explain this to me, please [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carried far less than the dudes I saw carrying their pop-up canopies, coolers, and loaded tri bags back to their off-site parking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sticker patches everywhere! Two of the places we parked were nothing but stickers.
Quote Reply