Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which of the following has lower physiological cost
Quote | Reply
Either high 60s, with relative humidity at 95% or above (so dew point just below temperature). Or high 70s/low 80s, with relative humidity at 70-75% (dew point in the low 70s). Essentially asking if it's better to ride in the morning or evening. I'll be riding on the porch, with two ginormous fans blowing. I'd think the latter may be better just because the evaporative cooling would be more effective, not to mention that i won't have to deal with the sun; thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Which of the following has lower physiological cost [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds cold

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Which of the following has lower physiological cost [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
80+75 percent humidity has a temperature +dew point of about 151
70 + 95 percent = around 135
From a running perspective number 80 degrees would yield about 1.5 percent slower times at the same effort

http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.com/...e-dew-point.html?m=1
Quote Reply
Re: Which of the following has lower physiological cost [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you; looks like mornings are preferable

i just remember the one time when exercising in 68F with 64F dew point. Just belabouring and a difficult workout, and much harder than any other I did that summer (often in mid to high 70s with a comparable, if not higher dew point)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the units of measure for "physiological cost"?
Quote Reply
Re: Which of the following has lower physiological cost [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure. perceived comfort? If sweat can't evaporate, more heats builds up, and I can't do as much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
68 degrees, 95% humidity is a Vapor pressure of ~18mmHg
82 degrees with 75% humidity is a vapor pressure of ~28mmHg.

It will be easier to evaporate at the cooler temp and higher humidity. While it may seem counter-intuitive when you look at the humidity numbers, keep in mind that you are not evaporating at Air Temp, you're evaporating at skin temperature. Because of this, you can still evaporate even at 100% humidity approaching your skin temp and still have a gradient. Now, in still air the microclimate adjacent to the skin can become saturated, however, even a small breeze can refresh the micro-climate and the evaporative power.

How large that gradient is determines the amount of unevaporated sweat on your skin, In low humidity environments, many people think they are not sweating because they do not see sweat. However, they are, it's just that the vapor pressure gradients between the skin and the ambient conditions is so great that sweat evaporates rapidly.

Additionally, you'll be facing lower ambient temperatures which will allow greater convective heat exchange as well.

Now, Solar is a different question. What is your location and the times of day that you are proposing?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
not sure. perceived comfort? If sweat can't evaporate, more heats builds up, and I can't do as much

Yes, but there are a few studies kicking around on the training load upside of heat training even though the mechanical output from the muscles is lower in heat/humidity.
Quote Reply