Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do this all the time on my road bike -- but once a couple of summers ago I decided to try it on the TT bike. Down into the "pozish" I go, absolutely flying (just over 80km/hr if I recall), and then I squeeze the down tube with my knees, like usual, and all of a sudden I am squeezing the front tire with my knees and friction burning two patches onto each leg because I've squeezed the tire instead (shorter frame by quite a bit). YOWCH.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep same thing happened to me at Buffalo Springs. Seat is much farther fwd on tri bike and knees got burned by the tire!
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [Cjwurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cjwurf wrote:
Haha I can't remember to be honest, just remember wondering why everyone was all of a sudden a long way behind, decided to wait for SEBI at the bottom as wasn't learning anything alone up front.

In nice I believe I took around 4 minutes out of van lierde on the decent, he was still pretty close at the top, I used the super tuck quite a bit there that's for sure

OK since we have you hear let's get some clarification

1. You dropped Sebi coming down from Hawi top tube riding like Froome
2. You dropped him with a better tuck
3. You dropped him because you are fatter (did I just call the kona bike course record holder fat lol?)
4. All of the above

Please clarify after your 8 hrs training day. Tell Froome to get his ass over to the Vuelta
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have seen on Strava the highest speed was 95 km/h.
That is nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember exactly how I rode down that hill but I know I didn't do anything special, was just surprised when nobody was behind me, I'd imagine it's simply due the fact I wasn't fighting my bike like the others where which I noticed on the climb, especially sebi and Jan, they seem to be fans of a very narrow grip which is very aero but difficult to ride in the wind. The tuck only really works if your spinning out so it's always better to have a bigger chain ring than to focus on a tuck. With a 58 chainring you can comfortably pedal at 80-85kmph, also much more comfortable.

Am I fat, well I was certainly fatter last year than this year, taking the sport seriously these days. I did drop SEBI in Roth in a technical section however so I don't think it's body weight, I have no doubt he's the best bike handler in our sport, perhaps his setup isnt allowing him to show it. A superman tuck doesn't make you a great handler!
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You might find this link interesting, I've been around for a while mate!
Quote Reply
Re: This is how you ride downhill on a triathlon bike [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lars Vold did use the Morph bars. And according to the winner Allan Hovda, the bars were one of the reason Lars could keep a higher speed was that he could keep his head lower.

We are both riding downhill sitting on the frame as low as possible I do not have a chance to keep up, and I am more than average obsessed about aerodynamics. LC thought it was the Morf-tech handlebars allowing him to put his head so low he nearly can lick his front wheel, while I am limited by the handlebars. Looking at the video from the descents makes me agree with his thoughts.
https://triallan.com/2018/08/07/race-report-norseman-2018/

Quote Reply

Prev Next