Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Seems legit

aerobike wrote:
mungub50 wrote:
10 minutes behind men’s winner, Tim O, and 5 minutes behind Nils Frommhold.

HAHAHAHA

7th overall. We’ve never seen anything like this before.

it's tough - on the one hand, i think we should just generally be skeptical (if not necessarily cynical) about super-dominant performances in sport these days, and this one in particular is way out beyond the margins. 20+ minutes on rinny? OK, she's still coming back into form, but this is a half, not a full. 5 minutes behind nils? how many second-tier male pros would she have beaten outright?

on the other hand, ryf generally doesn't raise the some of the usual red flags identified by joel filiol. she has a long history of results and has been pretty consistent. her coach is controversial but not for doping. her body composition seems like it's stayed pretty much the same for her career. sadly, i suspect if she came from a different country her results might get laughed out, though.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the 'Kona hype' and the smart money has to be complete dominance by the 2016 winners, both upping their games from last year and putting all the hopefuls in their place.

Hope at least one of the races is a cliff hanger deep into the run....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:
Seems legit

aerobike wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

HAHAHAHA

it's tough - on the one hand, i think we should just generally be skeptical (if not necessarily cynical) about super-dominant performances in sport these days, and this one in particular is way out beyond the margins. 20+ minutes on rinny? OK, she's still coming back into form, but this is a half, not a full. 5 minutes behind nils? how many second-tier male pros would she have beaten outright?

on the other hand, ryf generally doesn't raise the some of the usual red flags identified by joel filiol. she has a long history of results and has been pretty consistent. her coach is controversial but not for doping. her body composition seems like it's stayed pretty much the same for her career. sadly, i suspect if she came from a different country her results might get laughed out, though.

she's had some head scratchers before. like the first year she out ran Rinny (and ran 10 minutes faster than she did the previous year), she was sprinting and bounding on the last mile. looked like she had just been out for a jog, not the ironman WC. then last year it seemed she didn't even start racing until the last 40k of the bike. said she didn't feel good at first or something, but just seemed like her strategy was to not be too dominant. idk. she hung out 5+ minutes down on Lucy until the mile 87/141km and then put 6+ minutes into her in the last 25 miles. i'm just very skeptical. nobody has a shot at beating her, that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of folks seem to believe in miracles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She was nose breathing with a closed mouth on her Hawaii jog last year. Wasn’t it the french or Ferrari that said just look at the athletes face/eyes and that’s all you need to know?

Maybe she got a moto draft and had an incredible performance? I don’t know. I think it’s fair to be skeptical when she’s that close to top male pros. What’s the typical difference between men and women across endurance sports? 10-12%? And this is what, 4%?

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big-time doper-hater. And a "Doc" "Sutto" hater.

But I need more than dominant performances to start in with this stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This quote has been in my head since I started this thread. Thank you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't know what to think! She is a really hard working pro Triathlete. I follow her on Instagram and she is really grinding it out there.

But I have been burned before so I don't know! If you think about she is as tall as some pro males tho!
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m just very skeptical and think it should raise some questions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you can see a lot of drug testing reported via wada and usada...but based one some stuff I know with another sport. The top athletes get tested more than is reported. Wouldn't be surprised if Daniela has had to piss 15x this year already.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The recent performances certainly raise eyebrows, but as a spectator is good viewing when the men are being challenged by the women!
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the current testing is all we have to go by, but it’s sadly fairly meaningless. “The most tested athlete of all time” never tested positive and he was on just about everything.

And then you have the joke that is IM testing. I find it hard to trust their result management. WHY would they ever busy the star of their sport?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
I think it’s fair to be skeptical when she’s that close to top male pros. What’s the typical difference between men and women across endurance sports? 10-12%? And this is what, 4%?

I disagree. Strongly.

I don't have time right now to dig around for the information but the gist is that the more endurance based the sport the closer men and women (at some point I believe women are actually supposed to be better than men), I don't think 4-5% slower is erroneous at all.

In addition, to whoever said that any outstanding sporting achievement is suspect, I would argue that as more and more people have access to sport (talent ID etc) there is a greater chance of finding genetic outliers who will thrash everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
What is up with Ryf's hair though??? In the pics she looks like she has either a crew-cut or a a very receding hairline??? Has anyone seen her up close in person??? Just curious. :)

Yeah, the pic on the front page looks weird, kinda looks like she has male pattern baldness if you look quickly. I think she might be wearing a headband. All the pics on her instagram look fine

https://www.instagram.com/danielaryf/?hl=en

Thanks for the link, glad I'm not the only one who thought the front page looks a little weird; the head band is a good explain. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's take a look at one stat: Half marathon world records: Men at 58:23 and women at 64:51. That is pretty close to a 10% delta.

Or how about the 10K? Men at 26:17 and women at 29:17 which is more than a 10% delta.

At the marathon the delta is about 15min, which again is more than 10%.

Seems the endurance data supports a 10% rule of thumb at the elite level.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Let's take a look at one stat: Half marathon world records: Men at 58:23 and women at 64:51. That is pretty close to a 10% delta.

Or how about the 10K? Men at 26:17 and women at 29:17 which is more than a 10% delta.

10k and 1/2 aren't long enough. I'm thinking multi hour events. I will have a dig around my bookshelves and see where I read about it. It was very plausible - probably The Sports Gene (Epstein) I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

USAT seems to agree...

athlete rules
  1. Race age is determined by one’s age on 12/31 of the race year
  2. Race Age determines the age group you race under
  3. To be included in the Final Rankings, an athlete must have an active membership on 11/1 of the race year
  4. Athletes who do not finish the race or are disqualified will not be ranked
  5. Women receive a 10% gender grade bonus in each race
  6. Athletes who hold an elite license in Triathlon (or are Foreign or Collegiate Elite) will appear in the results but will not qualify for a national ranking in any sport. Elite Duathlete and Off-Road Triathletes are eligible for age group rankings in any discipline other than that in which they hold the elite license
  7. National ranking scores are calculated using each athlete’s top two to three scores depending on discipline. (On-Road Triathlon = 3, Duathlon = 3, top 2 for all other sports.)
  8. All Athletes who receive an overall score will be used as pacesetters for the next season
  9. If you discover an error in your rankings, you must notify the rankings department by midnight Mountain Time on January 31 of the following race year. Request for corrections received after this date will be denied.
  10. [/url]Top 10% of each age group receive All American Honor

Last edited by: LifeTri: Aug 6, 18 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:
Seems legit

aerobike wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

HAHAHAHA

she's had some head scratchers before. like the first year she out ran Rinny (and ran 10 minutes faster than she did the previous year), she was sprinting and bounding on the last mile. looked like she had just been out for a jog, not the ironman WC. then last year it seemed she didn't even start racing until the last 40k of the bike. said she didn't feel good at first or something, but just seemed like her strategy was to not be too dominant. idk. she hung out 5+ minutes down on Lucy until the mile 87/141km and then put 6+ minutes into her in the last 25 miles. i'm just very skeptical. nobody has a shot at beating her, that's for sure.

I think Wellington raced a lot less HIM distance but I recall her having similar results relative to OA and margin of victory.

Perhaps we are seeing Ryf continuing to hone her skillset with now running an equal weapon to her biking. Also she seldom gets pushed and she does what it takes to win. Perhaps the goal for this race of arguably little consequence was something different and framed around an "all out" effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post reminds me when Lesley patterson nailed a 1:16 run at Oceanside 70.3 a few years back, which was 3rd overall fastest run for men and women. Could have she taken a 70.3 record had it not been for that bike course with mandatory slow down section?
Quote Reply
Re: Ryf goes 3:57 in Poland [Joshua_L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The recent performances certainly raise eyebrows, but as a spectator is good viewing when the men are being challenged by the women! //

This is directed at all the skeptics out there, you need to chill and take a hard look at what happened. She had a great race, but against an almost non existent mens field. TO won by a lot, so we will never know if it was shut down very early. And he hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire lately anyway. As for the rest of the field, just look at the names(we are all going who??) And we dont know the real distances of the events, so dont get too worked up about the time either. How many times does it have to be said that most these "fast" courses are short and fast for a reason.

Chrissie did the same thing in some races, getting 6th or 7th as I recall overall, but same scenario. Someone already pointed it out, if you want to see the all time woman dominant performance against the men(and most all of the men shaved and tapered) it was Paula's 11th in Kona. You do not go who are those guys(the next 10+ that she beat) and most the ones in front were real glad the race did not go another 5 miles..

Dont get me wrong, Ryf is the real deal and may be the fastest woman ever in long distance racing before she hangs up her shoes. She is tough, consistent, and so much better than the rest of the world, that she can have an off day and still beat all comers(like Chrissie and Paula before her). Her only competition at Kona will be herself, no one will beat her unless she beats herself(up). Beating Rinny on the run is not that big a deal, when Chrissy had to do it, she pulled out a similar run. I see Ryf now where Chrissy was at her peak, only Chrissie never got to do Kona at that peak for various reasons. I always said she was going to put down a low 8;40 there, and she should have. Now it will be Daniela's turn to have that magical day with her form in all 3 events now, and several years experience doing the race.

I really hope we get to see that race, we can focus on the mens race for a nail biter, the womens is going to be an exhibition if she is on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4%? So IF Ryf had been wearing a pair of Nike Vaporfly 4%, she may have won overall... (pink)
Probably the worst $250 USD she NEVER spent...
Quote Reply

Prev Next