Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Religious intolerance in the 2nd grade [zoomzoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"without religion there could be no war, so you can be sure religion is here to stay"

What a joke and what a gross misunderstanding of world history.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]without religion there could be no war, so you can be sure religion is here to stay.[/reply]

Ok, I got to here this. How was the civil war, or for that matter the American Revolutionary war based on Religion?

Im sure you have an answer for this one, I just need to be educated.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Religious intolerance in the 2nd grade [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how many soldiers would die so you can live if they didn't believe in heaven. ?

i'm guessing not many

if people believed this right here is all there is .
maybe they'd try a little harder to get along.

the myth that you'll be rewarded when you're dead is just a huge scam and a revolting method of the powerful controlling the weak.

as far as the revolution, well right off the top of my head let's pretend the king didn't have this delusion that he had the right to control the word of god.

maybe we wouldn't have had to fight the prick then eh?

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of things to contemplate ...

if people believed this right here is all there is .
maybe they'd try a little harder to get along.

Perhaps, but not necessarily. Reminds me of occassions when I hear peole say, "If Christians really believed there was a heaven they wouldn't fight to hang on at the end of their lives" ... or ... "cry when a loved one dies" ... or ... "they'd all just go hang themselves and go to heaven". Somewhere in the logic is a flaw.

If this life is all we have, that might be more incentive for power-hungry folks to "get all they can while they have the chance".

---------------------------------

as far as the revolution, well right off the top of my head let's pretend the king didn't have this delusion that he had the right to control the word of god.

Without religion, the "First Americans" would not have had these ignorant delusions that a Creator gave them rights that other men could not take away. Without that, there's really no reason to think that certain people aren't more suited to be King and other peole are more suited to be servants.

without delusional ideas like that, we would realize that we, like everything else, are just a part of nature in a struggle for survival. There are those that are more fit to survive and those that are more fit to not survive. Men are not "equal" in the eyes of nature.

Rather than fighting "for God" (or whatever the argument would be), we'd all be fighting to be the "alpha male".

Humans like to fight. We love violence. Move on.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jan 5, 06 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yours is a typical attitude for those who don't believe there is anything bigger than themselves.

That must make for an unhappy existence.
Quote Reply
Re: Religious intolerance in the 2nd grade [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yours is a typical attitude for those who don't believe there is anything bigger than themselves.

That must make for an unhappy existence.

And yours is a typical attitude for those who need to believe that there is some meaning to their pitiful existence.

That must make for a blissfully ignorant existence.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Religious intolerance in the 2nd grade [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blissfully ignorant of what, exactly? How pathetic and meaningless our existence is?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Religious intolerance in the 2nd grade [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Blissfully ignorant of what, exactly? How pathetic and meaningless our existence is?

(come on, lighten up)

Blissfully ignorant of the fact that we are born, we live, and we die. That's the sum of it. It sucks.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Religious intolerance in the 2nd grade [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize I am not exactly your best buddy, Ken, but please tell me this is not your attitude as the father of a second grader.
Quote Reply
Re: Religious intolerance in the 2nd grade [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's tongue-in-cheek. He's making a point, not necesarily opinionated statements as a reflection of his ideas.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply

Prev Next