Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Help: Where Do I Go From Here?
Quote | Reply
Preface: I've been on ST for more than 14 years, so I know this is a delicate subject that offers nothing more than n=1. I'm hopeful someone has had a similar experience and can get me going in the right direction, so I don't have to spend a small fortune trying to find some comfort. I was fitted so it's not necessarily a fit issue.

I've been riding the Cobb SHC on my road/cross bike, which is mostly ok. However, I think it flexes too much and causes some undercarriage discomfort after 45-60mins. Previously, I tried the Spesh Romin which I liked but it rubbed my thighs raw. I also tried the Bontrager Montrose and it was ok but I could never find that sweet spot. Was always moving around and/or adjusting the tilt.

Back to the Cobb SHC. I think I like the general shape of the saddle and the flat profile but need something more firm. What saddle might that be? I thought I read somewhere that the SHC was based off the shape of the Fizik Airone but I would definitely prefer a saddle with a cut-out.

Any advice?

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Help: Where Do I Go From Here? [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sont have a suggestion, but I really wish there was some kind of troubleshooting guide for finding a saddle. Something along the lones of if thyou have pain here, try a saddle with these characteristics.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.meld3d.com

Custom fit to you....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you just have to keep trying saddles. In the end, you stick with what is acceptable even if not "perfect". There is no perfect saddle for most of us.

Having said this, it might be time to look at one of the SMP models. They have plenty of models, and the swag in the middle might suit you more than you think. You really can't hypothesize what the virtually perfect saddle for you would be, you just have to go try them. The Specialized Power Arc seems to be a well liked saddle, and should resolve your thigh issue....maybe. Order from Spec and you get a 30 day trial on most anything you buy. Same with Trek/Bontrager. Also, a good bike shop will do the same.

I thought the Cobb SHC was hard and stiff - at least the original. Maybe they have changed over the years.
Last edited by: NealH: Aug 1, 18 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Help: Where Do I Go From Here? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at the Power Arc. Over the years, I've had decent luck with the Specialized saddles but I was riding more and 20lbs lighter.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Help: Where Do I Go From Here? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fizik is a great option. MELD customer service is garbage. Do a search for “meld saddle review” or look at BBB.org
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Help: Where Do I Go From Here? [Smithjeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smithjeb wrote:
Fizik is a great option. MELD customer service is garbage. Do a search for “meld saddle review” or look at BBB.org

I wasn't aware they were bad that with CS, as I have asked the forum a few times. I thought it was a great concept and a possible solution for many of us. I appreciate the input....guess the search continues......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonty Hilo RXL Speed Dial might be worth a punt if you can find one. Obviously we all have different lower halfs but what sets this saddle apart is the adjustable width. If width happens to be the thing where you are struggling to find the sweet spot, this might help.

Helped me, but it's saddles so YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobb JOF 55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel ur pain. Not sure why but a saddle that worked last yr is hell this yr.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give the SMP’s a try. I, as a shop owner, bought the road and tri demo’scafter reading the article from Greg K. here on ST about 2 weeks ago. Tried a few different onces on my road and tri bike. On my tri bike i like them, but still not super sure if i like the more then my other saddles. But on my road bike i have their Avant model and that is, well, like sitting on a sofa. For me this is by far the most comfortable and at the same time the most ugly saddle i have tried so far.

Also like their Kryt and their Dynamic models.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply