Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on Giro Vanquish Helmet
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts or input on the new Giro Vanquish helmet?

I know this will vary with the individual - how aero is it (for long course triathlon racing)?

How aero is it with/with out the visor?

Would it be a good option as a helmet for the IRONMAN World Championships considering heat issues there?

Thank you.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Giro Vanquish Helmet [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased one not long ago and love it. Comfort is great and the visor is awesome. There was a thread on here that said it would be 60 seconds slower than the Aerohead over an Ironman. How true that is I don't know but not a great deal considering how heavy and hot it is. I purely got the helmet because I love helmets with visors and unsure why you wouldn't use it when on the tt bike. As for Kona it is the perfect helmet. I used the Rudy Wing 57 with visor my first time and just wanted to get it off my head on the back end. The next few years I used the Giro Air Attack with visor and was a lot better. Last time I was there I used the Catlike Rapid Tri which is basically as cool as a semi aero like the Vanquish but I think you would have no issues using it with the visor as it should be cooler than the Air Attack.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Aug 1, 18 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just raced IMC in mine with Temps up to 100 F, and I had no overheating issues. Really comfortable helmet. I use the visor and find the visibility great. Without visor there's not a huge aero penalty according to Giros own data. I think I read Jim @Ero mention this helmet generally tests well on a wide array of people but I could be thinking of the aero head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it. Surprisingly cool... I think they claim it’s within 3% of the synthe for ventilation. I wear it with the visor always. Made the mistake of keeping the visor on in the rain at TTF (were you there? Thought I heard your name)... failed experiment, couldn’t see squat. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Giro Vanquish Helmet [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try some Rain-X inside and out next time you want to use the visor in the rain. Not perfect, but not bad.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://aerogeeks.com/...ish-mips-first-look/

I’ve worn this a couple times in Texas heat (90-100 degrees) this summer and didn’t feel that the helmet caused me any issues with overheating. Comfortable, noticeably lighter than Aerohead (which is what I switched away from) and I think probably a good option that is both quite aero and cools nicely for a race like Kona (although I have no experience actually racing in Kona!).
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 4, 18 4:23
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Giro Vanquish Helmet [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have that crazy Zeiss reflective coating on the visor (Ltd edition)... wonder if rain-x would mess with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting

Following this

I have wind tunnel tested my Scott cadence against my giro aerohead - 10 watts difference

Last two times at Kona I had a heat melt down not that far after climbing back onto the Queen K - last time with a Kask Bambino which is cooler than the aerohead

I definelity lost more than 3 mins (the 10 watts ?) as a result stopping to pour 2 bottles of water over my head and soft pedaling as I felt terrible

I will probably go with the cadence but am looking at he Vanqish - in theory it’s better but only in theory

Cheers Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Giro Vanquish Helmet [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just use the P09? Amazing ventilation aerodynamics, and Fleck it’s Canadian ;) and half the price.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Giro Vanquish Helmet [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Why not just use the P09? Amazing ventilation aerodynamics, and Fleck it’s Canadian ;) and half the price.

I used a P09 for a 70.3 and a full IM, I roasted in it. At very least, I did not find it any cooler than any other helmet.

So are we saying that based on charts and wind tunnel tests, full on aero helmet vs 'aero road' helmet, is something like 3 minutes over 180km?
I think I am going to use a POC Ventral Spin at IMMT. Last year in my Smith Podium I got too hot in it and had to pull over around the 130km mark to dump cold water over my head. Same as the other poster, I'm sure any time gains were then gone..
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Giro Vanquish Helmet [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dummy, take the plug out! It's faster with it out :) and has amazing ventilation

SBRcanuck wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

I used a P09 for a 70.3 and a full IM, I roasted in it. At very least, I did not find it any cooler than any other helmet.

So are we saying that based on charts and wind tunnel tests, full on aero helmet vs 'aero road' helmet, is something like 3 minutes over 180km?
I think I am going to use a POC Ventral Spin at IMMT. Last year in my Smith Podium I got too hot in it and had to pull over around the 130km mark to dump cold water over my head. Same as the other poster, I'm sure any time gains were then gone..
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Aug 4, 18 11:18
Quote Reply