Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 WC Nice France advise [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey!
Any tips after having raced the test event? (water temperature, recommended gearing on the bike, etc.)?
Cheers

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC Nice France advise [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kampinou wrote:
Hey!
Any tips after having raced the test event? (water temperature, recommended gearing on the bike, etc.)?
Cheers

Swim: awesome! Rolling start with 8people at a time makes it real nice to just get in your rythm and find some good feet. I was one of the first to hit the water, so not sure how packed the watef became behind me. Temperature was on the warmer side but i didn't overheat in my wetsuit because the sun was just rising (which was absolutley beautiful to see when sighting).

Bike: starts off flat, until you hit a first really really steep climb. From there on you're in for a 45k climb. I love climbing and consider myself a good climber but it was a mean beast this one. I rode 53-36 and 11-28 but for some reason i was stuck in my 24t cog.. which made things just a bit more challenging. It's a very long, but beautiful, drag up there, but the descent is rewarding. If you have the bikehandling skills you can bomb down like a madman and gap the rest of the field. There's just 2 or 3 corners you need to be very careful at. The rest is TDF-style downhill madness.
Once back in town you ride the same flat stretch of road back to T2. One warning: there's a few zones on that flat stretch where laying in the aerobars are not allowed. I found it confusing to see where those zones start/end, and even got a penalty for it. Just so you know.

Run: hot as hell! You run along the promenade which is flat but there's nowhere to hide from the scorching sun. Overheating is real here. I wanted to run a 1:19 half marathon, but that didn't happen. Everyone i talked to at the finishline had the same experience: awesome but hard bike, start off the run feeling strong, get stopped in your tracks by the heat. At each point of the run you can see the turnaround points of the out and back course.. that finishline looks close but it doesn't get nearer as fast as you would hope for.

All in all it's a very cool race, very happy to have raced it. I'm quite sure this course will cause some real fireworks among the pro's! Can't wait to see the livestream.

One tip: get a hotel close to the start, i was there by car, and nice is just a hellhole trafficwise.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC Nice France advise [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the detailed race report, very helpful and insightful.
Really looking forward to next year!

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC Nice France advise [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nico: Thanks for the suggestions! I recently booked an apartment for 5 nights in Nice through 'Nice Pebbles', as recommended by another post. After the difficulties in getting to starting line in Austria a few years ago, I definitely wanted to be close to the starting line (apt ~ 1/2 mile from transition).

Wow, 15% climbs! I better find some mountains for training since I live in the low country of South Carolina. :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next