Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cycling tourists killed in Tajikistan....ISIS [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happened in Mexico recently. Is Mexico an Islamic country also? You can find more examples foreign cyclists getting killed by locals in gruesome ways all over the planet.

Google works pretty well with the search.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/cyclists-on-round-the-world-trip-feared-murdered-in-mexico-1.3493359

Sanuk wrote:
This wasn't just a hit and run, they ran over 7 cyclists then exited the car and stabbed them.

I wasn't aware of that, but it still doesn't change the fact that this sort of incident is not specific to islamic countries and the comment to beware Islamic countries is unjustified and unhelpful.

I am always one to defend the Muslim countries as I have biked through a number including Syria. However, when you say this incident is not specific to an Islamic country I would disagree. Car accidents are not specific of course but when they ran them over, turned around and stabbed them and claimed allegiance to ISIS, makes it different. I've never heard of that happening anywhere else in the world which of course makes it specific to that Islamic country.

Quote | Reply
This happened in Mexico recently. Is Mexico an Islamic country also? You can find more examples foreign cyclists getting killed by locals in gruesome ways all over the planet.

I was responding to the "isolated incident" being where someone hits you with a car and then stops and stabs you with a knife. There are gruesome murders everywhere and they happen to cyclists, tourists or people in their own homes. I'd just never heard of one where a car is used as a weapon and then they attack with a knife to ensure they are dead.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What ever happened to the triathlete here awhile back who was riding out of Irbil Iraq (working there as a contractor)? Me and others (who get it) explained it wasn't a good idea.

Cheers,
G
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling tourists killed in Tajikistan....ISIS [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question is this:

Are your odds of getting killed (while cycling) greater in the US or in an "ISIS-controlled territory?" Are there worldwide cycling-death stats, per capita?

I was piled on by a bunch of folks (non-cyclists, non-athletic for that matter) who think there are hardly any cycling deaths in the US, but yet, stepping into a Middle Eastern country will automatically get you blown up by an RPG.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling tourists killed in Tajikistan....ISIS [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
How can anyone pile on when cyclists are getting run over left and right in Islamic and Christian countries!?

DJRed wrote:
M~ wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:
you think that is bad, those Christians are complete psychos!!!

I'm not sure I get the point of your comment, or the relation to Christians from the article.

The OP was talking about being careful in Islamic countries.

I was talking about being careful riding in Christian countries. It appears you can get hit by cars in both of them.

Every other "Driver Kills Cyclist" thread on ST is a pile-on over how bad drivers are...how it's so unsafe to ride outside...how distracted driving is everywhere...

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this one's not a pile-on?

Oh well.

I'm prety neutral when it comes to religion (I disbelieve all equally!) however!

There appears to be a hell of a lot more Muslims running into people with there cars in the name of there religion than Christians!
Last edited by: Jackets: Aug 16, 18 17:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I was responding to the "isolated incident" being where someone hits you with a car and then stops and stabs you with a knife. There are gruesome murders everywhere and they happen to cyclists, tourists or people in their own homes. I'd just never heard of one where a car is used as a weapon and then they attack with a knife to ensure they are dead.

no, but plenty of videos out there in the US, and plenty of stories here, about American drivers who threaten cyclists, tell them they're going to such-and-such, then drive away. What stopped them? Were they just blowing smoke to start with? Or did they realize that the US has a moderately efficient state police force, and if they did punch/shoot/run over the cyclist, or re-run-over a cyclist they've already run over once, that they'd wind up in court and probably in prison? actual question.
Quote Reply

Prev Next