Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compex question
Quote | Reply
I recently received a compex as a gift. What is y'alls experience? Does it legitimately help recovery after big training days? It also claims to have an "endurance workout mode" but I have a hard time believing I can sit on the couch in front of the TV and get a workout. I mainly plan on using it for recovery and maybe warm up on early mornings when I am sore. Thoughts and opinions appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Compex question [dwgrenle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a Compex for years. My best success is I had a long car ride home after a marathon in May, I used the Recovery Plus the whole drive (3 Hours) and my quads were barely sore the next day at all, it was awesome. The Endurance and Strebngth Programs can leave you sore for days up you go hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some use it for recovery, or warm up. I've used all modes (Elite model). I found that I best keep away from it a few days BEFORE a race, it really leaves me zapped no matter what mode I use, even on light intensity. For recovery, yeah, it can feel good after a marathon--then again that could have been from just not moving and laying down for the next 10 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the wired Elite for a couple years and must admit that I am not very consistent with using. Mainly because of the time it takes to get the pads attached and wires connected. However, it does seem to help to some degree in my schedule with the onset of DOMS from leg day at the gym Monday morning and how that impacts sweet spot / threshold intervals for the next several days on the bike with indoor training. I still count an active recovery spin Monday evening to work in helping with the DOMS to be a little better then follow that light spin with a couple sessions of active recovery using the Compex.

Obviously no evidence that it works and just based on feel/observation comparisons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dwgrenle wrote:
I recently received a compex as a gift. What is y'alls experience? Does it legitimately help recovery after big training days? It also claims to have an "endurance workout mode" but I have a hard time believing I can sit on the couch in front of the TV and get a workout. I mainly plan on using it for recovery and maybe warm up on early mornings when I am sore. Thoughts and opinions appreciated

Sure the endurance workout mode would work for potentially increasing the endurance of the recruited muscle fibers. The thing to remember is you will be recruiting a very small percentage of the muscle fibers* and you train already so maybe the added stimulus wouldn't be enough for any more adaptation in those fibers and you're almost certainly not going to stress your cardiovascular system sufficiently to induce any more adaptations.

*On the other hand if the frequency of the current is high enough whatever muscle fibers you recruit will be producing 100% of their force-producing capacity and if the frequency of the contractions is high enough, those fibers could potentially be working very hard. Additionally with the electrical stimulation you may be recruiting some Type II fibers that would only normally get highly stressed at relatively high intensities of endurance exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Dwgrenle, congrats on your new Compex. The device offers 3 important features, #1- we can completely clear lactic acid in less than 7 minutes (clinically proven under 7 minutes) on the Active Recovery or Training Recovery program. #2 Compex can target your Slow twitch or Fast Twitch Fibers and recruit them to 100%, the average person can only recruit about 20-25%, imagine riding intervals on your trainer at 100% your average watts will increase along with your average cadence. #3 Compex will warm up a muscle group in 3-5 minutes on the pre-warmup or potentiation program. Compex has been around for over 33 years, uses a biphasic current (meaning you will not disrupt or corrode hardware in your body and the stimulation is very comfortable). If you need more information please let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an edge unit from a couple of years ago. I like it. This sort of thing it's hard to say if it's doing a lot but I use it for recovery and it does feel good. It's nice that the new units have the TENS feature
Quote Reply
Re: Compex question [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mickison, great tool for recovery. Have you tried the strength training programs? Try this place the device on your quads, slide your bib over the electrodes, place your bike on the trainer, turn on the program called resistance level 1. Spin through the muscle contractions (it will be intense) work on trying to reach level 50 on intensity. I assure you a great workout in 15-20 min, and you will create muscle DOMS (delayed onsite muscle soreness) that you have never experienced before. If we can create DOMS in 15 minutes how is that possible? Answer you are reaching deeper fibers than you can on your own. Creating DOMS are good especially if you are in training mode, if we can train your muscle at a higher level you will see an increase in your watts and cadence I assure you. Last remember while recovering or training you need to see muscle twitches (shaking of the muscle) the device goes from 0-999 on intensity.
Quote Reply