Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Xterra Utah (Odgen)
Quote | Reply
Was thinking about doing this race in September. Opinions of those who have raced this before? Worth doing? I've done one other Xterra before. Thanks, Brian.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Utah (Odgen) [Crfdude86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Utah (Odgen) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

3.5 hours @ 6.7 mph....holy crap, Jaret. You are now #1 on my sufferfest list.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Utah (Odgen) [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going back there in 7 weeks :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the race! It is a great time of the year, cool in the morning, but warming up to a very comfortable temp by midday. Colors are changing.

The bike course is tough but super fair, with lots of climbing, some fun descending and great views from the top of the mountain.

The run is super tough to start, then gets fun as it goes across a ridge and then back again to then zig down the mountain.

I am hoping to go back and win my second AG title there, if I can sort a few injury issues.

Cheers!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s the most fun of the major climbing heavy XTERRA courses of Beaver Creek, Utah, and the current Worlds course.
Altitude is certainly a factor depending where you’re coming from, but people discount it often because it’s “only” 4900 ft at T1 and 6k+ at T2/Run course.
It’s certainly a climber’s course on both the bike and run, where the descending is much more of “can you be moderately competent” because it’s seconds gained/lost versus minutes gained/lost on the long climbs on both bike and run.
There are enough spots where the course crosses a road/nearly loops back on itself that you can pretty easily preview the course in chunks.
If you want to have a fun time after the race, stay down in Ogden. Otherwise, stay up in Eden, Huntsville, etc by the reservoir if you don’t want to drive 20-30 minutes each day you’re there and want to ride on course.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This course is awesome! Very challenging and very scenic.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Utah (Odgen) [biggerrig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack thread...to everyone that's ridden the bike course...is it non technical enough that I could possibly get away with not pre-riding? I'm decent technically but not spectacular. I'm hoping to get to the race but if I can logistically swing it at all I probably won't arrive until the night before.
Last edited by: Torrent: Aug 8, 18 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Utah (Odgen) [Torrent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no need. just ride up a hill, then down a hill, then up a hill and then down a hill..... oh and yell at everyone that is in your way that is the main thing to do, especially if they out climb you and you want them to stop while you descend.
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Utah (Odgen) [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great comments! Spot on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will probably be ok. As user iank states, the course has a lot of climbing. Quite a bit on double track or single track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cliff-side is a bit of an eye-opener if you've never done that before. There's a tight turn in there you need to be careful with.

The decent from sardine peak has a few tight turns in it. If you are not cautious you'll blow right past them and go into the woods.

I'm planning on getting there on Monday, riding the upper course on Tuesday and the lower on Wednesday. You can soft pedal them on the pre-ride days and then take the old Snowbasin road back down to your car at the bottom of Wheeler Creek or Art Nord Trail head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may be able to get to Ogden earlier in the day on Friday, so if i have limited time should I preview the first or second(from Sardine pk) decent? From the youtube videos the Sardine decent seems tougher, but videos can be deceiving:)

Ugh, I hope the race doesn't end up being a duathlon. I'd rather take my chances swimming with some algae
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would preview the second climb, up Sardine peak.

That close to the race I would just soft pedal the climb, as easy as I could.

I'm going to ride that climb on Tuesday and the lower climb on Wednesday.

Last year the first decent was easy but it had a zillion small rocks (1-2 inches) randomly laying around.

The second decent had good traction but some switchbacks where I needed to exercise caution. The cliff side isn't hard, just different if you've never ridden that stuff before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice, its greatly appreciated :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a great race. Be weary of driving up to the resort. There were cops to catch those out towners speeding down on the highway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, definitely worth doing. Absolutely beautiful course. Coming from outside of Houston, the climbing and alitude took a toll on me but the views were worth it. Unless they changed it, the only difference that most of my friends who did the race commented on was the swim was rough and tight at the start. Nothing you should not be able to handle, but as a large event with beach start when everyone runs in vertical and then goes prone, you are all over each other, and at alitude. Also, between the buoy and the dock was tight.

Funny, someone mentioned the cops pulling people over as remember seeing that.

We did the preride on the first climb then peeled off before the second big climb.

The run is crazy hard uphill at the start, but pretty cool to look around once that is over. Coming down into the finish is a blast.

Enjoy.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone has a safe trip out to Ogden and a good time previewing the trails. I’ll be arriving Thursday PM and most likely tackling this event cold. Come by the elite area in transition and say hi, would be great to meet some of you in person. Don’t have my number yet, maybe 45 based on the PanAm rankings and the elite preview from the newsletter, but look for Hans Ryham, or the cheap aviator glasses. All the best!
Quote Reply
Re: Xterra Utah (Odgen) [Testament TN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw your name on the pro list, #45
Quote Reply