Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [w3bradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Course maps are out...

Whoever did the Bike Course map deserves to be shot...you don't orient an E/W route on a slide as a N/S route.

Definitely thought the bike and run would be along the peninsula, kind of disappointed here.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turn the page! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing but crickets on here for TC 70.3 happening TOMORROW! Are there STers racing or is it full of newbies like the very entertaining FB group continually suggests? Iā€™m excited to come out of retirement, even if not at the level I once was. Taking bets on the DNS/DNF/Finisher ratio. Good luck to all out there.

Ben McMurray
Northern Michigan Small Farm Venture ---> http://facebook.com/hillvalleymi [/size]

Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Mc B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have loved to make it up there for the race but unfortunately it was just going to be too expensive to get up there. I've also heard Potts won't be racing but still a few solid pros on the start list. Hopefully the race is a success and I can make it next year!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm here- I lived here back in 2011 so once the race came out I knew I had to do it!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like perfect weather for tomorrow. Good luck to everyone participating
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced today and had a great time, they couldnā€™t have ordered better weather (some headwind coming back on the bike, but thatā€™s about the worst of it). I enjoyed the course, the water in the bay was so clean and clear. And the hills on the bike were actually fun to ride, enough downhills to let you recover for the next climb. So much new pavement as well. Run got a bit crowded, but there were a lot of spectators and volunteers out cheering, so that was nice.

Traverse is a beautiful location, and I thought they pulled of a first year race quite well.

(Back door brag, I got a spot to New Zealand with a 2nd in my age group place, so itā€™s hard for me to dislike much of the anything from TC 70.3 šŸ˜€)
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You nailed it. Tough bike, but fair. I rode my numbers and tried not to get to wild on the hills, but still was hurting on the run. Felt like my Achilles were beaten with a bat afterwards!

Good weather, gorgeous water, well-organized. Not a ā€œfastā€ course, but a good one.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the race. I think that's the biggest crowd on a course that I've seen in a 70.3. The town, volunteers, and organization were all great - they really embraced this race. And that course was sneaky tough, but very fun and scenic. I agree that the two-way run path was tight and probably the only slight negative I saw the whole time there.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was my first 70.3, so I donā€™t have much to compare it to, but I had a great time, and learned a lot.

Iā€™m signed up for IM Chattanooga next month, so I looked at it as a training exercise, and if nothing else, it gave me a little more confidence that I can finish a full.

The swim was nearly perfect, warm, clear, smooth water, simple route, and not terribly crowded...swimming into the sun was challenging though, had a hard time sighting the markers, and wound up swimming a lot of extra distance...so I know to work on that, at least (2338 meters, per my Garmin, lol).

The bike was the hardest part, for me...lots of climbing, and was dealing with a rear wheel that didnā€™t want to stay clamped...it kept moving forward in the dropouts and rubbing my frame (too many watts, no doubt, lol). Very hilly, with some tough climbs, but balanced by some FAST descents. A bit more wind than Iā€™d like, but not bad. I was much slower than I hoped, but still reasonable for me.

The run was good, but a bit squeezed as mentioned before...lots of out and back on narrow trails. Iā€™m nursing some injuries, but took it slow and finished strong.

Weather was almost perfect, and the volunteers were great.

Not sure Iā€™d do this one again, the city is a bit expensive and the distance is a little far, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone hear any info on a 2020 race?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tracking that it should open up this week. Was my first 70.3, loved it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there yesterday. Was my first 70.3 with about 9 months of training. I was hoping for sub 6 hours but went 6:06. The race was great, though it was very crowded on the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came in about 15 minutes slower on the bike than projected, and I averaged 5 watts higher than my BBS plan. That wind on the back half really crushed my speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [flyinryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad Iā€™m not the only one!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
You nailed it. Tough bike, but fair. I rode my numbers and tried not to get to wild on the hills, but still was hurting on the run. Felt like my Achilles were beaten with a bat afterwards!

Good weather, gorgeous water, well-organized. Not a ā€œfastā€ course, but a good one.

Yeah I thought the course was going to be similar to Chattanooga but it was far more challenging! Absolutely great event!

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super impressive the race they were able to pull off on a first try. The full support of the community was readily apparent. Awesome swim venue and challenging but fun bike course with the best road surfaces you'll find in Michigan and no auto traffic to deal with.

Going forward they may have to do something about the traffic on the run course. I'm slow so it didn't bother me much but I could see it being frustrating if you are running fast.

Anybody else smell BBQ on the swim course? Maybe I was just hungry.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Super impressive the race they were able to pull off on a first try. The full support of the community was readily apparent. Awesome swim venue and challenging but fun bike course with the best road surfaces you'll find in Michigan and no auto traffic to deal with.

Going forward they may have to do something about the traffic on the run course. I'm slow so it didn't bother me much but I could see it being frustrating if you are running fast.

Anybody else smell BBQ on the swim course? Maybe I was just hungry.

that wasn't BBQ. that was the smell of my spaghetti burps.

Local radio station this AM was fielding phone calls from locals commenting on the race. Most callers were happy with the race, and thought it was cool that such a large, well known event was in their own back yard. Of course, the glass half empty crowd was represented as well. you know, the usual...people that can't be inconvenienced for a single moment, not to mention an entire day! the horror.

I live in Charlevoix, about an hour north of Traverse city. I thought the event was great. The swim was beautiful ( I knew it would be), the bike was fair, but challenging, and the run was fun because their were so may small crowds of people cheering the athletes on. The finish line atmosphere was epic.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:

Local radio station this AM was fielding phone calls from locals commenting on the race. Most callers were happy with the race, and thought it was cool that such a large, well known event was in their own back yard. Of course, the glass half empty crowd was represented as well. you know, the usual...people that can't be inconvenienced for a single moment, not to mention an entire day! the horror.

Nice to hear this guy used his one phone call well.
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

Nice to hear this guy used his one phone call well.

Funny. He was pissed he had to take the long way to the co op.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.wxyz.com/...ause-of-road-closure

Pretty certain that this guy would have killed a cyclist the moment he got his chance. Good reminder to be thankful to the traffic marshals. Might not always be perfect but they certainly did their job and more here.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Traverse City 70.3 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not get a lot of training in this year due to having a new baby at home but had a great time none-the-less. No need to recap the big climbs on the bike but I also thought the course layout gave ample time for recovery on the downhills. There are also plenty of flat sections that were giving up plenty of speed if you were willing to putting in the effort. I heard from people out later on the bike that the headwind really picked up coming East on M72...I must have caught the very beginning of it as I felt a lot resistance on the big descent back down into TC.

Run course was a bit congested but I'm hearing that will be alleviated as trail construction around Boardman Lake is completed. I also did not notice how much warmer it was around Boardman Lake until the end of the first loop back near Grand Traverse Bay...must have been around a 5 degree difference and that would explain a lot of the cramping and hydration issues I saw on the run...myself included. Started cramping around mile 4 but managed to fight it off until mile 11 when a hamstring just seized. Couple minutes of stretching and some base salts from a very nice lady got me back on track.

Swim was as good as any venue I've been to. Clean and clear water the entire way with minimal contact because the rolling start. People were worried about the length of the run into T1 but I felt it to be less than half of what is in Mont Tremblant. Swim could be dicey with bad weather, it is still Lake Michigan, but was absolutely perfect for Sunday.

Volunteers and check in was very well organized. People in Michigan know what a gem TC and surrounding area is and I am glad the rest of the triathlon world got to see some of it on display this last weekend.

Quote | Reply
I agree a life was saved because of the marshalls. The locals have known for a year and electronic signs have been up for a few weeks reminding them the roads were closed. I believe they were closed for 6 hours starting at 7am. I have zero sympathy for any local that tried to go somewhere. Locals are use this type of thing with the cherry festival and other events. This guy being arrested has deeper issues.

As for the course, the swim was awesome. Bike course good. Not my ideal for triathlon because I'm a weak runner. At the 28 mile mark on the bike: RIP my run legs. I barely survived the run.

The first mile of the run course was more like a parade. Streets were just lined with people on both sides. The good is that it inspired you to run hard. The bad is that it inspired you to run hard. No way was I going to walk in front of all those people. It was so bad on the first lap, but on the second you had to run up that road twice, thus two miles of solid people. When I finally got back to the Tart trail I just about dove into the woods to die.

Run course was very crowded. I saw a few people running with nonracers (family or friends). Normally wouldn't bother me but then I saw them take stuff from aid station. That's a no-no. So I chirped at them a bit. They were apologetic.

Quote | Reply
Yeah, and there was a LEO who definitely could have killed someone as he drove down the run course lane responding to a call when there were other routes to exfil.

But outside of that one instance...this race was awesome. The locals came out in full support. I didn't hear the final count on volunteers as people were still signing up to volunteer on Saturday, but on Friday there had been over 1200 volunteers signed up. Talk about a full embrace of this race. Will definitely come back if we can.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never seen a race with that many volunteers. It must be a traverse city thing. I did a study up there a few years ago and needed 5-6 volunteers to survey. I ended up having over 30 volunteers.

Steelhead has a lot of volunteers as well.

Prev Next