Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coaching expectations
Quote | Reply

I’m curious on what people expect from a coach? I’ve read some of the many articles out there but I didn’t see a whole lot with money in the equation. In this case it’s for triathlon (typically a mix of HIM & IM). I paid more thinking I would get more and gain some experience along the way. It seemed like a lot of $$ for me but I was eager to try something new and big hopes of increasing my knowledge along with the obvious, speed… so I threw it in the budget. If a person was to be paying $400/mo how much should I expect as the athlete? Is this reasonable? More/less? I’ve seen coaches from $100 to over a $1000(I live in the Midwest, USA)
· Training plan that they continue to modify as coach see’s it needed
· Weekly chats? Or more?
· Email access returned within 1 day or less
· Help with nutrition & fueling?
· Specific advice for areas like bonking if needed?
· Sodium, etc intake for different sweaters? I’ve seen issues randomly
· Determines/helps FTP and gives you numbers to work with so one has a clear expectation on what’s going down on race day? (I know every race day is diff with many elements to factor)
· Determines/helps running power/speed giving numbers again to shoot for and or test with?
I know it’s kind of a ‘thrown together’ list but is that reasonable? I don’t feel like I’m really getting all that and I hate to be a whiner. I work hard for my $$$ so I don’t want to be throwing it out the window.
Thanks much
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching expectations [MNbikeNerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me your list seems reasonable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive coached for 21 years now.

Everything you ask for there seems 100% reasonable. And if you ARE NOT getting all/most of that stuff...find a better coach.

IMHO the sweet spot for "as needed" guidance is 280-375.00 per month. This allows for 2-3 hours of schedule work and changes. Then AS needed (sometimes 2-3 hours...sometimes 6-8 hours:-)) per month of file analysis, chats, pre and post race briefs, equipment choices, etc.

I tell folks...you want a great coach who knows about (triathlon, cycling, nordic skiing, trail running, etc)...not necessarily a triathlon/cycling/running coach. Understand?

Good luck!

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything you mentioned seems right. For several hundred a month I would expect all questions I have to be answered within a day, workouts looked at to make sure they are being done correctly and to the best of my ability, on time workouts delivered & built around my schedule. I would also like them to take a look at my bike fit to see if it looks alright, but don't have to give a full fit (offer suggestions). Probably a few other things.

Basically if I'm just getting workouts laid out per week I don't necessarily believe thats worth $75-$100 per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what coaches like

Matt Bottrill
Dave Scott
Purple Patch
etc charge?

Ballpark?
Or any other successful coaches reasonably priced?
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching expectations [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're expectations are COMPLETELY reasonable, and at a lower price point. Are you really paying $400 a month and not getting the guidance above you are looking for? If you have further questions feel free to message me.

Re: Coaching expectations [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purple Patch pricing

https://purplepatchfitness.com/coaching

You get everything on the OP's list for the $400/mo plan

But also tons of successful athletes on the $185 plan (e.g. quite a few podiums at Santa Rosa 70.3 this past weekend are on this coaching plan)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems reasonable to me.... especially for $400. Not sure if you ever noticed but there is a "coaching" link here on the site that you could search for other local coaches.
Quote Reply