Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, they obviously did not pick up on the metal tacks in the road. I think a drive through just prior to the race would have revealed this. At the very least, IRONMAN should have cleaned up the tacks (to the extent possible) once they became aware of the situation.

Did you even do the race? Have you ever volunteered at an IRONMAN event? LOL, you are so mad.

Culley22 wrote:
AND, to further point out THEY ALREADY DRIVE THE COURSE. They do so a number of times actually. To mark for road deficiencies, to set up the course, to mark travel routes for the course (think arrows on the ground), one final drive though to make sure everything is in order prior to start AND THEN THE MOTORCYCLES prior to the athletes.

So tell me again how ONE RIDE will be enough to satiate your appetite for more safety...yet they do MORE than the one ride you suggest?
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [Amateur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know when the tacks were spread? Nope. So you have NO CLUE when they were spread.

And i'll take your designation as being "mad", because at least i'm not ignorant such as yourself.

Keep crying and maybe mommy will hold your hand during your next event so nothing bad happens to you.

Amateur wrote:
Well, they obviously did not pick up on the metal tacks in the road. I think a drive through just prior to the race would have revealed this. At the very least, IRONMAN should have cleaned up the tacks (to the extent possible) once they became aware of the situation.

Did you even do the race? Have you ever volunteered at an IRONMAN event? LOL, you are so mad.

Culley22 wrote:
AND, to further point out THEY ALREADY DRIVE THE COURSE. They do so a number of times actually. To mark for road deficiencies, to set up the course, to mark travel routes for the course (think arrows on the ground), one final drive though to make sure everything is in order prior to start AND THEN THE MOTORCYCLES prior to the athletes.

So tell me again how ONE RIDE will be enough to satiate your appetite for more safety...yet they do MORE than the one ride you suggest?
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, I asked you if you did the race. Yes or No?
Asked you if you have ever volunteered for IM. Yes or No?

I did the race, finished fine. Have never crashed or come close to crashing in a race. It doesn't sound like you did this race. ;)

I asked Dave Latourette for some information about who/when drove the course, where and when the tacks were found, etc... he has not responded. I neither have any contact information for the Race Director that he mentioned.

Culley22 wrote:
Do you know when the tacks were spread? Nope. So you have NO CLUE when they were spread.

And i'll take your designation as being "mad", because at least i'm not ignorant such as yourself.

Keep crying and maybe mommy will hold your hand during your next event so nothing bad happens to you.

Amateur wrote:

Culley22 wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tacks were also thrown out in 2016 for the full in July. I got one on the second loop a few miles past Chalk Hill. First loop I saw lots of people changing tires... second loop saw the same thing.... then I felt that signature squishy feeling on my disc. Changed the tube and only lost about 5 minutes. I saved the tack and asked a friend when I returned home about it that is knowledgeable in such things... said it was a furniture tack. Very small, rectangular head and very sharp, short point. I still have it somewhere...

Zoot Team Captain Southeast
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Gatorade Endurance, Ottolock, Theragun, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, boco gear, Giddy Up Multisports
Last edited by: bikefaster: Aug 1, 19 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [bikefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a local Santa Rosa resident who competes every year now in the full and the half IM, I have been fortunate enough to have never been on the receiving end of these tacks around Chalk Hill. Those responsible should face large repercussions (if caught) but sadly, they probably never will. Along with facing tacks on the course, I was the proud recipient of a punch in the right jaw by a vagrant at mile 12.5 on the run during the half IM in July. I was traversing through Prince Gateway Park (making that left turn right before you enter Santa Rosa Avenue after leaving the Greenway) when a tweaker walking away from a police officer passed right onto the run course and I happened to be right in his way. I guess I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. He decided to hit me right in the jaw as I was rounding the corner and it was a pretty solid connect. The police officer in tow saw the whole thing, several bystanders on the corner gasped and I yelled out I think, "what the hell?" The cop says something like, "Oh he's going to jail" so being startled, and now jacked-up on adrenaline I finished the race without any pain to my face. That cost me a minute but still finished top 10 in my AG, so pretty happy. I could've done without the punch, ha!

After the race I went up to another SR police officer and asked if he heard about the athlete who was punched in the face. He said, "oh yes" which I replied, "that was me." He took out his pen and pad and took information down and asked me if I wanted to press charges. I replied, "no" as what would be the outcome of that anyway? There was no apparent jaw damage, except for a little pain now on the opposite side of my face. I just let it go.

Two years prior on the inaugural half in SR, my friend had his run bag stolen. He showed up to no shoes, visor, nutrition and watch. He began to contemplate running barefoot, and to his rescue was a ton of support from the crowd who began throwing shoes, a visor, and even a Garmin watch at him. He still somehow had a faster T2 than me! That's what I love about this sport - the people. However, bikes continue to get stolen too so perhaps IM and appointed security need to be more vigilant in T2 during the dark hours on the square the night before the race. Things we put up in Santa Rosa. Guess it can happen anywhere.
Last edited by: Flyswimbikerun: Aug 16, 19 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [Flyswimbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think you should have pressed charges. I have been doing Vineman/IM Santa Rosa since ‘91. Your drug/homeless problem has increased exponentially. The problem near the finish line is scary and, as you found out, dangerous.
Car break ins, stolen bikes seem way to common.
Doubt I will return.

Team Zoot So Cal
Last edited by: Karl: Aug 16, 19 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading this, I will NEVER to a race in California.

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flyswimbikerun wrote:
asked me if I wanted to press charges. I replied, "no"

Because of people like you, bad people keep doing bad things. They know they can get away. Those bad guys need to learn the consequences. I have CHL and carry a gun with hollow points. If someone punches me or tries to punch me, I simply aim at their torso and shoot. I'm a skinny dude, 130lb. If someone huge punches me, I will die or end up in coma. I have family to take care of, so I can't afford any non sense like that. When I ride country road alone, I carry too. You never know some thugs will try to steal my bike and belongings.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't hear of or see any break ins this year, but two years ago their were two cars in the lot I parked in with smashed out back windows after the race and a cop said there were several more reported... Last year my boss and his wife had their bikes stolen just after the race while getting gas to leave town.

Myself or my lady friend have done it every year for the last 5 years and we're over the hassle of it. The hotels jack up prices, the drive that far north from LA is annoying and the entire day before is lost due to logistics so we're out for the time being.

Santa Cruz is a much simpler race and the logging is way more affordable. So much more convenient for anyone who doesn't happen to live on the north side of the bay and a great course with very minimal traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Flyswimbikerun wrote:

Because of people like you, bad people keep doing bad things. They know they can get away. Those bad guys need to learn the consequences. I have CHL and carry a gun with hollow points. If someone punches me or tries to punch me, I simply aim at their torso and shoot. I'm a skinny dude, 130lb. If someone huge punches me, I will die or end up in coma. I have family to take care of, so I can't afford any non sense like that. When I ride country road alone, I carry too. You never know some thugs will try to steal my bike and belongings.

Ever wonder why America has more deaths from dickheads with guns than from terrorism ? Probably not.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting perspectives on Santa Rosa, perhaps it is from the my view of living in a larger city, but the amount of homeless people didn't seem excessive and in my experience they were not particularly aggressive.

On the bike thefts, I think people were a little too lax in securing their equipment, I saw plently of low hanging fruit in parking lots, etc. including a P5x that spent a decent chunk of the day on a car rack in the parking lot of my hotel. I really enjoyed the area, never felt unsafe, and considering doing my first full IM there.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
s13tx wrote:
Flyswimbikerun wrote:

Ever wonder why America has more deaths from dickheads with guns than from terrorism ? Probably not.

Trust me. I don't want to kill or hurt anyone EVER, but if someone tries to hurt me and my family, that leaves me no choice.
I NEVER mess with anyone, so I want the same from other people. Sadly, this kind of stuff happens on a daily basis and I firmly believe I should be able to defend myself.

https://bikeportland.org/...ater-corridor-302366

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/...ack-caught-on-video/

https://metro.co.uk/...-by-thieves-7919149/
Last edited by: s13tx: Aug 16, 19 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll always remember a response that I read on another thread that related to having guns while cycling. It was something like this: "Triathletes struggle grabbing their water bottle from their cages so what makes them think they can grab a gun and then, let alone, shoot with accuracy?"

To the replies about not racing in California anymore or increased homelessness...this is not just a California issue but rather a national epidemic.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What other IM races do you have to worry about junkies beating you up in the middle of the race and stealing your stuff to boot?

Seems like almost an exclusively west coast issue... Both of the above posters articles from the US were west coast cities, one that I'm unfortunate enough to live in for a couple more years

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Last edited by: palmtrees: Aug 16, 19 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to agree that this a national epidemic. I have raced several times at IMAZ and there are homeless people who camp out there in the park at Tempe Town Lake. I think the police do a pretty good job clearing them out prior to the race. But there is a large homeless population here in Phoenix. Sad really.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in So Cal, and most cities have a homeless problem.
Oceanside and Santa Cruz are much safer than Santa Rosa (in my opinion).
Nor Cal is much more lenient on enforcing laws. I used to love visiting SF, but just drive around it now.
I am not anti-homeless, but in Nor Cal, it is a safety/theft issue also.
Like I said previously, I will avoid the SR race, but love the area (downtown just needs to get rid of the addicts and thieves.)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done SR 3 times and Vineman...yes there have been huge issues with bike theft there in last years for sure. It is sort of local to me so I will probably continue...I like SC as well but honestly there is just as much of a problem there with crime as SR, although I haven’t heard cases of bike theft.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [Mrnchk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy shooting up and almost losing consciousness along the run course at IMSR 2019...definitely a first during an Ironman. Homelessness is a huge problem everywhere, but seemed especially bad in Santa Rosa
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
People are a$$holes

Lmftfy: people are FELONS
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Flyswimbikerun wrote:

This is why your response scares me. You're prepared to escallate to killing someone for hitting you? This is why I don't approach people who do incorrect things. 1 example, people who litter. I want to say, come on now, don't drop your cigarrette butt, bottle, whatever, here; you're making a mess of the community we share. But I'm afraid to stand up for the most simple thing because I don't want to potentially face someone's unreasonable response of shooting me b/c that's the way everyone has decided to express their displeasure of someone else calling them out on their behavior.

No, people should not get randomly punched. But as inappropriate as that offense is, it's not worth the response of that person loosing their life.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Aug 17, 19 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Tacks at Santa Rosa [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your argument leads me to assume you ride a steel mountain bike with clip on aero bars, single speed drive train, and track chain. You know, because durability is more important than "free speed", or using equipment appropriate for the event you're completing.

If you have a carbon triathlon bike with any sort of performance wheels, "you better be getting a WC slot".
Quote Reply

Prev Next