Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you could go anywhere in the world to train in January/February, where would you go?
Quote | Reply
Subject says it. I'm trying to decide where to spend my winter retreat. I am looking for a place that has both world class mountain biking or world class gravel and world class road riding. I prefer low/high temps in the 60/80 range. Money is not no object. Ideally would be able to get a nice private studio or one bedroom place for something like $2,500 and would be able to fly there for under $1K.

I have looked at Maui, New Zealand, Australia, San Diego/Chula Vista, and Cape Town. What do you think?
Quote Reply
Re: If you could go anywhere in the world to train in January/February, where would you go? [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t see Tucson on your list. It meets most of your requirements with road riding (if you can stand some bumpy riding until you are outside city limits), gravel riding, and decent mountain biking. A nice house or apartment would easily fall into your range. Bonus would be the group riding available to you if you needed a push. Tucson has a great climate in the winter, just a little chilly in the mornings in Jan/Feb.
Last edited by: KLH9184: Jul 29, 18 20:14
Quote Reply
Re: If you could go anywhere in the world to train in January/February, where would you go? [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mainland Australia is probably a bit too hot for you.

But Tasmania fits pretty much all your criteria (except for maybe the cost of travel to get there).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lubbock, Texas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dubai. 140+ km of dedicated car free bike track, open water and good 50m pool facilities and good running paths along the beach. Also a very active tri community.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could go anywhere in the world to train in January/February, where would you go? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:

But Tasmania fits pretty much all your criteria (except for maybe the cost of travel to get there).

+1 Tassie. Although I’m biased.

Best time of the year to be in Hobart. World class MTB. Hobart has about 80km of XC trails, 3 MTB parks, and is close enough to others suck as Derby and Maydena.

Great swimming, minimal traffic on roads, good food and coffee.

Where are you flying from?

@Diabolo - you an Aussie?
Quote Reply
Re: If you could go anywhere in the world to train in January/February, where would you go? [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swiss living in Canberra :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Australian in me says Australia, but honestly it would be hard to top some parts of New Zealand. Rotorua, Taupo, Coromandel Peninsula, Napier... etc Hahei was probably my favourite place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I have nice temps, good weather and incredible XC trails right at home in January/February... and the road riding is pretty good on the weekends. I'd much rather plan a summer getaway to the Alps.

However, if I could spend a winter abroad, I'd look for something like NZ. Probably a bit too warm, but from what I hear about the trails and the views, I have to go there one day. Same with Cape Town and the trail systems shown on the Cape Epic, but I don't know how safe the roads are over there (remembering Burry...)

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: If you could go anywhere in the world to train in January/February, where would you go? [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helliquin wrote:
Diabolo wrote:

+1 Tassie. Although I’m biased.

Best time of the year to be in Hobart. World class MTB. Hobart has about 80km of XC trails, 3 MTB parks, and is close enough to others suck as Derby and Maydena.

Great swimming, minimal traffic on roads, good food and coffee.

Where are you flying from?

@Diabolo - you an Aussie?

Noosa in aus is great but would be too hot that time of year for you, so I would say Launceston in Tassie, closer to Derby MTB trails, great running, loads of good loops on the road bike. That time of year you might even find yourself in a group ride with Ritchie Porte or young Birtwhistle, who both live in the area and are found out training with the locals.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jul 30, 18 2:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
South Island NZ or Tasmania both give you all you ask for
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tasmania is not a bad idea, I’d also add jindabyne in the snowy mountains, lots of training camps there in summer. Temps there range from 48-80 in summer, probably nicer weather than tasmania.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Jul 30, 18 3:44
Quote Reply
Re: If you could go anywhere in the world to train in January/February, where would you go? [joafr339] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joafr339 wrote:
Dubai. 140+ km of dedicated car free bike track, open water and good 50m pool facilities and good running paths along the beach. Also a very active tri community.

Been living in Dubai the last 9 months and it's certainly hugely exceeded my expectations in terms of the cycling/tri scene, but I wouldn't recommend it as a training destination. Distinct lack of variety in the riding unless you're prepared to spend lots of time driving to the mountains. And not an easy place to live cheaply!

New Zealand would be very high on my list. Nice weather that time of year, huge amount of variety in the training, and can live pretty cheaply. Only downside is that drivers have a pretty poor reputation, but if the OP headed somewhere like Rotorua or Queenstown that has great MTB trails then may not need to spend much time on roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is something you may want to consider...Curacao....this island has plenty of what you seek plus some occasional world class riders visit. The have two clubs on the island that have a significant amount of members. I have been there a couple of times and experienced some excellent road and mountain training, not to mention some good trail running. The weather is always perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canary’s. Take your pic of the bunch. Great safe riding. Wait till after the 2nd week of January & prices come WAY down for housing/airfare. Fantastic beaches too!

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Girona, Spain. It’s no coincidence that over 200 professional cyclists call it home. Expect to see few cars and fewer houses as you pedal farther outside city limits. You’ll do a fair bit of climbing, but the views (and the descents) are worth it.
Last edited by: Skyline Chili: Jul 30, 18 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austin might work

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply