Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

POC Cerebel vs. Smith Podium
Quote | Reply
I have a POC Cerebel (great lens on this one) and I run hot. I am thinking of trying the Smith Podium which I hear has quite good ventilation. Can anyone tell me if it is well ventilated? I also don't like that I cant adjust the Cerebel on the fly.

Thanks.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel vs. Smith Podium [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Podium. I’m a heavy sweater and also run hot. I’ve found the Podium to be great. Never tried the POC so can’t compare the two.

However, I tried the Aerohead and it was a furnace on my head. I couldn’t believe how terrible it was. I was even more surprised that people said it provided good cooling.

So at least compared to Aerohead I found the Podium to be vastly superior for cooling and comfort in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned 4 aero helmets and the Podium certainly wasn't the worst (very subjective) of them. If you put your head down you can hear whistling and the air pulls through noticeably...but if you're already sweating that's the perfect way to drip on the lens.
Last edited by: dangle: Jul 29, 18 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel vs. Smith Podium [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which other helmets did you try?

Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel vs. Smith Podium [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
I have the Podium. I’m a heavy sweater and also run hot. I’ve found the Podium to be great. Never tried the POC so can’t compare the two.

However, I tried the Aerohead and it was a furnace on my head. I couldn’t believe how terrible it was. I was even more surprised that people said it provided good cooling.

So at least compared to Aerohead I found the Podium to be vastly superior for cooling and comfort in general.

/\/\ +1

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned and used extensively the Giro A2 with the LG windscreen modification, LG dimple-forgot-the-name, and Bell Javelin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want the ultimate vented aero helmet then this is it. It runs pretty much as cool as an aero road.

http://aerogeeks.com/2016/08/03/catlike-rapid-tri-review/
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel vs. Smith Podium [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
If you want the ultimate vented aero helmet then this is it. It runs pretty much as cool as an aero road.

http://aerogeeks.com/2016/08/03/catlike-rapid-tri-review/

I always wanted to try one of these. They never seemed to gain much popularity?

I have a Smith Podium. I like it, but to be honest I don't find it cool, I still sweat a -lot- in it. Enough that I may use a POC Ventral aero road helmet at IMMT if it is a hot day..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about the kask bambino? ive been riding with poc cerebel which is great and lightweight but it sucks it cannot be adjusted and it is not comfortable at all. giro aerohead is cool but heavy. oakley aro7 is fantasticaly comfortable but also heavy as giro aerohead.

kask bambino is light, comfortable and has a solid ventilation. better from POC. the only thing about bambino is that the inner anti fog coating on the visor tends to come off
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel vs. Smith Podium [Heavyform] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't thought of the bambino....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I hadn't thought of the bambino....

i recently ordered my 2nd bambino. love it. and i can say that after ive tried all the above i lve mentioned...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I really like the Cerebel but the fact you cant adjust on the fly is a pain in the you know where. One of my friends just bought a Bambino so will take a look at it when I see him next time. Also considering the Casco Speedairo (mostly because its quite vented and it will match my bike and kit). A few people in the club have them and seem to like them a lot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I really like the Cerebel but the fact you cant adjust on the fly is a pain in the you know where. One of my friends just bought a Bambino so will take a look at it when I see him next time. Also considering the Casco Speedairo (mostly because its quite vented and it will match my bike and kit). A few people in the club have them and seem to like them a lot.

my friend has the casco. its a cool helmet but i just do not like the looks of it. and wouldnt say that would test faster from the other models
you are considering. between the giro aerohead and the bambino, giro would be a better fit regarding aerodinamics for
most people rather then the kask. but as far as i know oakley aro7 tested faster from both of these in the windtunnel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who has the Airohead...I hate that thing...hate the way it looks ...did I say I hate it? :)))))

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I have a friend who has the Airohead...I hate that thing...hate the way it looks ...did I say I hate it? :)))))

hahahah yeah :) its not that nice. but it does the job. its a heavy helmet.

from a looks standpoint, most minimalistic are kask bambino and oakley aro7, while your choice smith podium would be in between :) but thats just me. someone else might have a different opinion :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bambino renowned to be warm and will be no cooler than any you have already mentioned. The only bearable tt lids I've tried in warm conditions for 70.3 but especially IM has been the Rudy Wingspan I used to race in, the Catlike Rapid which I have and the Met Drone which I have also due to the volume of air around your head. I use the Drone in races up to around 30 degrees celsius but was too hot for me trialling in Kona where the Rapid was fine. I only like to race in tt lids with visors and of all I have trialed they are now the only two I will race in. A few pros wore the Catlike at Kona the last few years but I think it never took off being a smaller Spanish brand. Movistar cycling team raced in them until they changed sponsor this year. A friend of mine won his age group in Kona wearing a Kask Bambino with visor which blows me away but each to their own. The Lazer Wasp (they have a new short tail model Victor) visor pushes out allowing air flow and I found ok for 70.3 but can get hot over an IM but would be cooler than the Kask, Smith or POC IMO.

https://bikerumor.com/2017/09/26/eb17-lazer-renames-victor-tt-helmet-custom-paints-bullets-plus-new-eyewear/

http://www.lazersport.com/adult-helmets/victor?color=ffffff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m gun shy on lazar products since the bullet doesn’t test well apparently, plus the tardiz creation.
I’m intrigued by the victor have u seen any testing done on it or links to that effect? Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel vs. Smith Podium [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering the Vanquish tests 60 seconds slower over the Aerohead for an Ironman and the Victor is an evolution of the Wasp that tested pretty well, I'm thinking it would be in the ball ark of of most top aero helmets but I haven't seen any testing. The thread is about a helmet that is cool enough to endure over a race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is a helmet with an integrated visor a must? In my experience, helmets with sunglasses are considerably less stuffy than helmets with an integrated visor. In that regard, I consider the Giro A2 to be pretty well ventilated.
Quote Reply
Re: POC Cerebel vs. Smith Podium [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer the visor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read that the Catlike Rapid Tri's coating peels off easily have you experienced that? I was checking out some reviews on Wiggle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had no issues and didn't know that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks for that...

Quote Reply