Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calvin & Hobbes: Politics & Cycling & intelligence ...
Quote | Reply
My training is going great. My distances are increasing as times are decreasing all the while staying the same upper limit HR (even lower, most days). But, that is incredibly boring. So, I'll talk about something else *wink*.

I've been reading Calvin & Hobbes with my 2 year old son (i.e. "his" tiger book). I have a couple of strips that may start some discussion. FWIW, the author is an avid cycler and runner.

--------------------------------------

1. Politics

Calvin and Hobbes are riding downhill in his wagon

Calvin: When I grow up, I'm not going to read the newspaper and I'm not going to follow complex issues and I'm not going to vote.

Calvin: That way I can complain that the government doesn't represent me.

Calvin: Then, when everything goes down the tubes, I can say the system doesn't work and justify my further lack of participation.

Hobbes: An ingeneous self-fulfilling plan.

Calvin: It's a lot more fun to blame things than to fix them.

-------------------------------------------

[2] Cycling -- for your entertainment and for your similar situation.

Calvin's Dad (CD) struggling up a hill on a mountain bike, "Ahhhh, this is the life".

CD Riding behind a truck exhaust with litter falling out of the truck's bed, "Outside in the fresh air. All Alone ..."

CD being surrounded by bugs, "...no distractions, No irritations ..."

CD being chased by dogs "nothing but quiet and serenity"

CD flipping over the handlebars after the front wheel struck a rock, "... a chance to get a feel for the land ..."

CD lying down after crashing, " ... the exhiliration of speed ..."

CD riding while holding an injured lower back, " ... the opportunity to reflect on things and let the mind wander"

CD walking his bike into the garage, " *sigh* getting out like this really makes the rat race seem ridiculous. The weekends just aren't long enough to do what's important.

CD approaching his wife, "you know, I think I'll quit my job and ride my bicycle all the time."

Calvin's MOM, "OK Dear, want me to call the bike shop and see if they'll sponsor your midlife crisis?

CD: "Yeah! Ask 'em if they'll upgrade my shifters too."

[The author states under the panels that this was a joke strictly for hobbysts ... cyclist in this case.

-----------------------------------

[3] Intelligence ... this is my favorite calvin quote.

Calvin, proving to Susie (a girl, yuck) that he's really smart, "Believe it Lady. You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Calvin & Hobbes: Politics & Cycling & intelligence ... [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love C & H. Alway funny and worth a read.

As for politics, yep, a healthy democracy requires an educated and informed populace. Problem nowadays is that most media sing from the same songsheet, so the range of views is somehwat limited. However, you still have the net where you can usually find the other side of a story.
Quote Reply
Yes!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin and Hobbes is THE greatest comic strip of all time, bar none.

I've got a couple of the ones with his dad cycling in my office
Quote Reply
Re: Calvin & Hobbes: Politics & Cycling & intelligence ... [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(C&H sitting on their tobaggan atop Mount Maim)

"Let's just sit here for a moment, and savor the impending doom!"

I catch myself saying that before every Ironman start.

b

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply