Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

La Marmotte 2019
Quote | Reply
Anyone know when registration for La Marmotte opens and how soon it usually sells out? Also be interested in any recommendations on outfitters to go within terms of accommodations, etc.
Thanks,
Jack
Quote Reply
Re: La Marmotte 2019 [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably opens in October. I know that La Fuga is a very good operator. As is Cyclemundo. It’s an awesome race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't announce the date much in advance. I think it's usually Oct or early Nov.
I think it usually sells out immediately.

If I was you I'd book accomodation right now. Book something you can cancel should you not get and entry or something else changes. Most accomodation in and around Alpe D'Huez and Bourg D'Oisans is probably already gone. I stayed in Les Deux Alpes when I did it because I didn't book accomodation until after I had an entry. It's a short drive away so was no problem since I'd hired a car.
Quote Reply
Re: La Marmotte 2019 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the advice. Is it possible to get accommodations for a family in the area rather than just myself. Was planning on bringing wife and daughter on the trip to stick around afterward and watch the tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its not a race...

I've stayed with here several times now http://www.fermenoemie.com/ Melanie and her family are English and fluent in French and have lived in the area for more than 20 years..
It's on the valley floor so very accessible for the whole family.
Quote Reply
Re: La Marmotte 2019 [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrPG wrote:
Its not a race....
Oh yes it is...... everything is a race silly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it's a fairly touristy area. Alpe D'Huez and Les Deux Alpes are both ski resorts in winter and full of hotels. I'm sure there are lots of self catering apartments and chalets available to rent for a few days or weeks too.
Quote Reply
Re: La Marmotte 2019 [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heading to La Marmotte next week and trying to decide if I should also do the Alpe d’Huez time trial held on Friday two days before the big ride. Be grateful for advice from those who have done it and whether it hurt you for the big ride on Sunday. I have trained a lot over the last 4 months including a trip to Mallorca and some long rides in Limburg and the Ardennes but have never ridden mountains with extended climbs like those on La Marmotte. Thanks in advance .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did la Marmotte and the AdH TT in 2012 - I'd have no worries about it affecting you on the big day. Its only an hour or so (excluding descent or the ride from/to wherever you're staying) and plus it gives yo confidence for the big day...

Enjoy - I'd love to have another go at it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can contact Rob, see https://www.colconquerors.com, for information on accommodation, hotel bookings and tips. He lives just behind Valloire and knows all there is to know about cycling in the Alps and La Marmotte in particular.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: La Marmotte 2019 [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the advice. La Marmotte was incredibly challenging and deeply fun. Hardest day I have had on a bike. If anyone else is considering doing it I’d strongly suggest you give it a go. Thanks again.
Quote Reply