Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2018 Alaskaman Crew Report
Quote | Reply
I had such a unique and positive experience over the weekend at Alaskaman that I felt compelled to write up a short report on the race and experience.

My fiancé decided to do this race after crewing for a friend last year. Also having just moved to Alaska a few years ago this was now her "backyard" race so that took away a lot fo the travel logistics for us. Just a 3 hour drive on Thursday from Wasilla to Seward was all it took to get to the race site.

Race Day
We started the adventure at Resurrection Bay in Seward, Alaska (Home of Mount Marathon). Pre race T1 set up was very quiet as we were right next to a campsite. Each athlete could have one support member with them in transition to set up and in both transitions to prep for the switch in disciplines. Setup for a race of this magnitude was rather quick. Drop off bike, set up bike, leave everything else in a bag to stay dry. Transition opened at 2:30 and we arrive around 3:15 and at this point it was already starting to get lighter outside. Yes even though the solstice was a month ago Alaska still has plenty of daylight :).

Swim
Because of the ridiculously early swim start time (4:45) and the fact that the last bus to the swim start left at 3:45 with no supporters or spectators allowed at the swim start I decided to go back to our Airbnb to clean up and check out. I got back to the race site around 5:30am just in time to see the first swimmers nearing the second half of the swim and passing the waterfall area (water was about 45 degrees +/- at this point). Because they cannot set out buoys on the course they recommend to keep and even distance from the shorelines and to keep the 4 boats on your right at all times. This lead to an extremely wide and spread out field. Nevermind that only 150 athletes started, but this was very untraditional of any swim I have seen. The marine layer helped to produce a very unique atmosphere. Fortunately though the water was cold, it was very calm.

T1
Support crew can and is recommended to help their athlete not only get out of the water but assist in the transition to the bike. I was able to find my fiance easily and followed her to the swim exit. Upon getting out of the water is was about drying her off as much as possible while walking and lightly jogging to T1. Once at T1 it was about warming up the body, completely drying, turning on all bike lights (required) loading up food, putting on dry clothes (full body change) and turning on the phone app for tracking (required). In total it took about 10 minutes, but an extra minute too get fully dry saves your race and we took that time on Saturday. Also as each athlete departed they asked for their race number as no chips were used, it was all recorded with people writing down times just like the good old days.

Bike
We were allowed to give support from miles 31-80, anything outside of that was completely illegal for safety and traffic reasons. Course was point to point all along the highway with many pullouts for stops. We planned 3 stops to hand off fluids, calories, and drop layers as it warmed up. First stop at 35 was simple and quick. I passed my fiancé around mile 40 right as she flatted. Per Alaskaman rules I am able to help and give "outside assistance" however I could not just pull off to the side of the road, I had to be in a pullout area. Fortunately one appeared about .25 miles up the road. With a complete tear in the tire we had to do a full wheel change. But once completed she was back up and running. Nothing much else to report from the bike except one final unique portion. Each athlete had to ride out of aero and carry bear spray for the final 24 miles that were on a bike trail (A black bear was spotted at mile 91 on the trail). This was another unique twist to the race. The Alaskaman bike course is absolutely stunning and IMO is worth doing the race alone.

T2
Since T2 was an empty parking lot on race morning it was the duty of the support crew to setup T2 for each athletes arrival. T2 was simple, find a spot lay, down a towel/blanket, spread out all the gear, and wait for the athletes arrival. Found my fiancé and directed her to her area. T2 was simple and quick. However I was in charge after she left to clean up her area and remove her bike immediately from transition. They had one rack for bikes as they never had more than maybe 5 athletes in transition at any one point in time.

Run
First portion fo the run is 17 miles and you are allowed to have support run with you, we elected not to do so. The support crew can never be more than 10 meters apart from you. The run takes you on cement, gravel, trail, and you even get to ride a tram to cross a valley. I was not part of this portion of the race at all so I really cannot comment, but the general impression I got from everyone is that the Nordic Loop trail (10k out and back) was less than pleasant for many, the tram was fun, and the Winter Creek Trail? was fun.

Alyeska Mountain
By far and away one of my favorite experiences ever in this sport. The mountain portion is not a run but rather a hike up and as controlled of a descent down as you can. Whether that is a run, walk, controlled fall, etc. Then you turn around and repeat one final time. Each athlete must do this portion with a support crew and you must go to the mountain check in before resuming your race. Here they check your packs to make sure they contain the following; first aid kit, bear spray, phone, external phone charger, gloves, and a whistle. They DO NOT mess around with this race and environment with good reason, but this is what both athlete and supporter must carry with them. Once past check in you start the ascent to the top of Alyeska. It is nothing short of a steep hike at times on trails wide enough for a pick up truck and narrow enough for only a mountain bike. But it is a good 2-3 mile hike with about 3,000 feet of vert. Just before reaching the top you reach the remnants of the previous winters snow still hanging around. Finish the first climb, summit the peak and descend back down. Right at the tram station was the first and only aid station on the mountain portion. Refuel and stock up for the descent down and ride up and down again. Second time up was on the North Face which was much more narrow trail, plenty of tall grass and shrub with a switchback finish to the top.

We did get to experience a very unique moment on this mountain. At the top of the first climb when we hiked over the snow there were about 8 of us total; 4 athletes, 4 support crew. All from different countries, all in the middle of this stupid long race, and all with the desire to stop racing for a minute and have a snowball fight. It was short, but a lot of fun and another unique characteristic of this race you don't really see anywhere else for obvious reasons.

I only "participated" for 10 miles or just under 4 hours as we hiked up and ran down Alyeska twice for about 5-6,000 feet of elevation gain. That alone was enough to let me know I put in a good days work. I cannot imagine doing the full distance.

This race is a more adventure than it is "race" IMO. It goes back to the true roots of the sport. A bunch of people toeing the line all set out for the same goal...to see if it can be done. Everyone is out on their own conquest but all together to help each other along the way. There were so many characteristics that made this race feel so grassroots; carrying all your athletes gear throughout the race, setting up T2 in the middle of the race in an empty parking lot, check points with race staff in the middle of the run, calling out race numbers to record splits, no SAG, no bike aid stations. etc. This race wasn't as much about finding all the ways to cut down every second, but rather find areas to stop for a few seconds and take in the beauty of this race. The mountain portion was a convoy of people stopping at areas to check out the view, take photos with each other, soak in the area, and just enjoy being out in the wild so to speak.

Though the race was small (150 athletes) I am sure a few others from this years addition are here on ST, so feel free to give any additional feedback. I highly recommend this race to anyone that is looking for a new challenge outside of the standard ironman races, but likes the distance. This race has everything and will challenge you in ways you would never expect. But this is NOT a race for just anyone that has completed an Ironman, it takes a much different training approach and racing approach to complete this race. Congrats to all that raced and finish,

About 300 registered, 150 made it to Alaska to race and 129 finished. Winning male time was 11:30 I believe and just over 14 hours for the females.
Last edited by: bcagle25: Jul 24, 18 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Alaskaman Crew Report [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice write-up! Would love to seem some pics if you grabbed any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle 25, nice write-up! Here's my version of what went down, as a competitor:

Weather-

We were blessed in a HUGE way. At least until most of us were on the mountain
(more on that later). My bike computer read 50Âș to start the ride and maxed out at 70Âș, average of 57Âș. We had some thick fog/mist for the first 30-ish miles. I was wiping the condensation from my visor and jacket sleeves (soft-shell) so I could see and stay warm. It was thick enough and there was enough road grime that the front of my bike looked like we biked a rainy day by the end. We had very little wind to contend with. That is very unusual for the bike course
like unicorn and bigfoot unusual.

T1 Set up-

At the pre-race meeting we were told that transition would open up at 2 A.M. WTF did I sign up for?! That’s about going to bed time, not get-up-for-one-of-the-hardest-day-of-your-life times! Plus there’s this thing called daylight that makes it hard to go to sleep at 9 P.M. Anyway
quick and easy set up. Mostly because you’re allowed support and my wife would be helping me out anyway.

Swim (1:09:54, 4th)

Resurrection Bay is a place you’re not allowed to swim in. In all my visits down there growing up in Anchorage, the only time I thought about jumping in was after many shots of Schnapps on a boat moored up in the marina
still didn’t do it! Plus, it really isn’t legal. We were told that the temperature was around 60Âș
must have been measured right where that person was peeing at the time! Many watches read in the 55Âș area at the start. It felt a hell of a lot colder than that to me, and I went down 20 minutes early and did some head-dunking to get ahead of the brain-freeze game. It’s the only race that I wondered if I’d make it through the swim-thought I’d cramp up, especially around the neck and throat.

The tide was low at 4:45 A.M. I could have walked most of the first 500 meters
and some did do some walking! It’s just that the rocks were sharp and I couldn’t really see them well. I did manage to slice my left middle finger on a pull. Did I mention that there are salmon sharks in Resurrection Bay! According to Shark Week, they could smell me, but decided to hang in the deeps for all I know. The truth is, I really don’t know what sea life was around us. I could barely see my hands! It’s probably better that I didn’t see anything! There are some that said they heard clicking (porpoises) and whale-like sounds. I had wax to keep water out of my canals, so I can’t confirm that. But for storytelling purposes, there was a school of porpoises chasing away a school of orca that was chasing baby sea lions and searching for silvers!

There was one (ONE!!) bout at swim exit. I couldn’t see it until about 1000 meters out. Luckily, the local fire chief had a rig out there with flashers on. I’m pretty sure we were all using it to sight off of. Swim exit was a bit uneven and tricky, but there were wonderful volunteers there to keep us steady. My wife met me with some warm broth and I chugged it during the 200 meter jog to T1.

T1-

I said that my wife was there to help me in T1. Well, she relived her days of dressing our sons when they were 3 years old. I kinda got things on and started and then straightened my arms out and shouted, “ I can’t get it on all the way!” This happened for two arm warmers, two sleeves of my jacket and two gloves. She’s the best!

Bike (5:20:57, 2nd)

For an XTri, this was missing the ‘X.’ There is only about 4000 feet of elevation and we got dead-ass lucky for weather. Seriously, they’ll be talking about the three days around this race for at least the next 5 years up there as one of the best stretches of weather they’ve seen. The biggest challenge on the bike is the shoulder space in areas. There are some spots where you have a guard rail on the right, 2 feet of ride-able shoulder and then rumble strips to the left. All alongside a highway with 55+ mph traffic. In some spots there was a couple of inches of sand-like dir that built up in the rideable space, not horrible though. I say that and I was third and second on the road, never having to negotiate other riders. I’m sure passing and having others around felt completely different. The biggest obstacles were the “Bikers on Road” signs. They took up the entire shoulder and you had to hop the rumble strips and get onto the highway. This was maybe 5 times, The first 70-75 miles are rolling and gaining elevation. From about Mile 76 to 100, it’s flat as a pancake. For the last 12 we were on a bike path (aerobar riding not allowed-DQ penalty) and we had to carry bear spray here. Some saw bears there, I didn’t.

T2-

T2 is a rack that could squeeze 5 bikes on it and then 30 feet away was where running stuff was placed
in the dirts
just off the parking lot. If you hate 5 star hotels and love tent camping, this is the transition of your dreams! The announcer said I was only 10 minutes off the lead and that “I’ve seen 10 minutes leads disappear quickly.” Yeah, but has he seen them grow to 2 hours!!! He was about to!

Run (6:54:59, really not interested in looking at placing for that!)

Part I:
Thanks to a battle with Mad Calf, I knew this was participation-time for me. For the run, you are required to carry bear spray, your phone with the RaceJoy app running, jacket/long-sleeved shirt, hat, gloves, whistle, first aid kit (bandages and gauze), cell phone charger, compass (can be app on phone), and something to carry all that plus hydration in. It’s a gradual downhill run on a paved bike path to about mile 2.5, then turn around and head back up until you turn off and run pavement/hard-packed dirt until just short of mile 8 where we got a 7-Eleven-style aid station. I went for some Powerade to refill my hydration bladders, a small can of Coke and barbecue Lays. I had started to do some serious walking just short of the aid station and thought I’d try the junk food route to recovery. I doubt it worked, but it sure did make me feel happy! From the aid station, we got some single track trails that had some good downhill action and a few roots. I was able to pick up the pace, if only to not break my cankles on the roots. After a mile of this, there is a hand tram river crossing. There were four dudes there that may have been paid more to get you across faster rather than slower! The hikers in the area graciously moved aside and let me to the front. The two fellas on my side of the river forgot to tell me to hold onto something and off I went. Luckily, my Salomon pack cushioned me when the cart took off like California Screamin’. When I got my land-legs back on the other side the course continued on with another 2 miles of single track and boardwalk running. No bears sightings for me here, but I did hear that others did. Because it was such a beautiful days there were plenty of hikers. They were all very accommodating and moved off the trail for us as well as cheer us on. At about mile 10, we entered the Gates of Hell, or more commonly known as the nordic loop in Girdwood. We went 5K, U-turned and came back out 5K. The terrain was either 10-18% up, or 10-18% down. Horrible for legs that hurt from pounding. I could hike/run the ups, but had to walk the downs. Once we came out, it was an easy jaunt back to T2, where the mountain running started.

Part II:
The Mountain. It was HOT. When it’s 75Âș and hotter in Southcentral Alaska, it means there is no wind. That’s what we had! Sun on our backs, no wind, but plenty of humidity to keep the sweat constantly on my skin and suit. I met my support runner, grabbed two Cokes, filled my bottles, and was (easily) convinced to eat the heart of another friend’s remaining cinnamon roll-DELICIOUS! Going up the first ascent was great. I was able to hike at a pace that I had hoped for. We passed a few people on the way up and around Chair 6 at the top. The two snow patches were great for grabbing snow to munch on. Unfortunately, I did not see any syrup mixes for a Tiger’s Blood snow cone! At the 20.5 mile aid station, I refueled and topped off my bladders, then moved through the “No Cheer” zone. There was a wedding on the mountain and we were to be quiet. There was even security there to give us some evil eyes when we got a little loud. We walked the 2-ish miles down, my quads still couldn’t handle it. After a short cross-mountain jaunt at the bottom, we entered the North Face trail. Things were a little damper and we had to switchback our way, starting with Stairway to Heaven (stairs spaced out juuuust far enough to stretch the hammys). This second ascent was tougher and we were definitely slowing from our first ascent. Another walk down the same trail as the first loop and then a slight detour to the finish. Seven. Hour. Marathon. Ugghhh! That being said, I had the best time ever catching up with friends that I hadn’t seen for nearly a decade, including my support runner on the mountain. We were chattier that a couple of school girls getting back together after being sent to different band camps during summer vacation.

Ended up 8th in 13:38:16.

I’d love to hear from those that have done other races in the XTri series to see where this ranks for difficulty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an adventure!!! Enjoyed reading both reports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having crewed for one of my athletes at Celtman last month, I echo much of what you said in your last couple of paragraphs.

Races like this are as much (actually more) about the experience and the amazing locations you’re visiting than your race times or performance.

Not going to see this at (m)any WTC events.

Re: 2018 Alaskaman Crew Report [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great report. Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:

About 300 registered, 150 made it to Alaska to race and 129 finished. Winning male time was 11:30 I believe and just over 14 hours for the females.

Here are the official stats:

2017 - 307 registered, 198 started, 158 finished
2018 - 228 registered, 152 started, 129 finished

So this event suffered a 26% decrease in registrations in year two. It sounds truly fantastic, but is the interest in XTri's outside of the principal 3 (Norseman, Swissman, Celtman) fading?
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Jul 27, 18 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Alaskaman Crew Report [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto to this! I don't recall stopping during an Ironman race for a photo op! Plus, this was one of about 10 stops I made.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Alaskaman Crew Report [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
So this event suffered a 26% decrease in registrations in year two. It sounds truly fantastic, but is the interest in XTri's outside of the principal 3 (Norseman, Swissman, Celtman) fading?

Agreed! I just don't think there are the numbers of competitors interested in XTri races out there for the smaller XTri Tour races like this to support it long term. Are there enough competitors out there that are willing to let go of performance goals and do these races for the challenge and the beauty these other courses offer? Time will tell.

I was a Kona-chaser for much of my triathlon life and I can tell you that this was a better experience than any IM I've done. Assuming that costs would be about the same, I'd head back up there before I'd head back to Kona.

To add to the stats, about 1/3 of the field was from Alaska. That means that roughly 100 people traveled from Outside to do this event. Cost has to be a limiter as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
bcagle25 wrote:

2 years is hard to make a definitive conclusion on that. Celtman has even less starters (average 160/year). Considering Celtman and Swissman have only been around since 2012/13? With Swissman only having 3 total races I believe, I don't see Alaskaman fading at all. Norseman really is the only of these races that I would say is established. I would categorize Celtman or Swissman as principle races...yet at least.

These races obviously will never be the size of an Ironman at all for various reasons. However, It does fill a niche in the sport and carries over others from endurance sports that do not do Ironman. Will Ross the winner of this years Alaskaman did his first Ironman and marathon at Alaskaman. I can see this race serving more of those looking for adventure and a different challenge which may pull more non-triathletes into the race.

Tourism is increasing here more and more in Alaska and while that may be beneficial to getting more athletes here, it is also an obstacle as you have that many more tourists on the Seward highway (Where the bike is). Personally I do not see athlete registration as the biggest risk to keep this race alive, but rather bike course safety and athlete compliance with local officials. This year seemed to go off without a hitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
bcagle25 wrote:

2 years is hard to make a definitive conclusion on that. Celtman has even less starters (average 160/year). Considering Celtman and Swissman have only been around since 2012/13? With Swissman only having 3 total races I believe, I don't see Alaskaman fading at all. Norseman really is the only of these races that I would say is established. I would categorize Celtman or Swissman as principle races...yet at least.

These races obviously will never be the size of an Ironman at all for various reasons. However, It does fill a niche in the sport and carries over others from endurance sports that do not do Ironman. Will Ross the winner of this years Alaskaman did his first Ironman and marathon at Alaskaman. I can see this race serving more of those looking for adventure and a different challenge which may pull more non-triathletes into the race.

Tourism is increasing here more and more in Alaska and while that may be beneficial to getting more athletes here, it is also an obstacle as you have that many more tourists on the Seward highway (Where the bike is). Personally I do not see athlete registration as the biggest risk to keep this race alive, but rather bike course safety and athlete compliance with local officials. This year seemed to go off without a hitch.

Celtman dates to 2012 (7 races held to date) and Swissman since 2013 (6 races held to date). Like Norseman, these race slots are given out by lottery with more people applying than can be accepted by the race. That is one mark of an established and successful event. If you followed the lottery results thread, you would see that most people want Norseman but will take of any of the three. Apparently, Alaskaman is not filling the void for those who lost out on the principal 3 xtris.

Starting and finish numbers don't matter a whit for what I'm talking about; it is registrations that pay the bills. That's why it is disconcerting to see the drop in registrations at Alaskaman. I.e., the race pulled in $20,000 fewer dollars this year. Yes, it is too early to make a definitive conclusion which I did not. Nor am I comparing it to an Ironman (I did not). I'm just wondering if the drop in registrations will continue and if so, what is the break-even point in registrations for the race to be financially viable. Be very clear that I wish for the race to succeed, but year 1 to year 2 did not go well.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Jul 27, 18 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
bcagle25 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
bcagle25 wrote:

Celtman dates to 2012 (7 races held to date) and Swissman since 2013 (6 races held to date). Like Norseman, these race slots are given out by lottery with more people applying than can be accepted by the race. That is one mark of an established and successful event. If you followed the lottery results thread, you would see that most people want Norseman but will take of any of the three. Apparently, Alaskaman is not filling the void for those who lost out on the principal 3 xtris.

Starting and finish numbers don't matter a whit for what I'm talking about; it is registrations that pay the bills. That's why it is disconcerting to see the drop in registrations at Alaskaman. I.e., the race pulled in $20,000 fewer dollars this year. Yes, it is too early to make a definitive conclusion which I did not. Nor am I comparing it to an Ironman (I did not). I'm just wondering if the drop in registrations will continue and if so, what is the break-even point in registrations for the race to be financially viable. Be very clear that I wish for the race to succeed, but year 1 to year 2 did not go well.

Alaskaman is a lottery.

My fiancé was able to get in as she is an Alaskan resident and they are awarded 100 lottery slots.

A friend from Wisconsin did not get in, he was not selected by lottery, they were offered 200 slots. Based on this, it would appear more people are applying than can be accepted by the race.

Neither of us know why they list 228 registered, especially when all 300 lottery slots were given out. They mentioned in the pre-race race briefing that it was a success just getting to Alaska as they lost half of the registration list before race day.

Perhaps the question should be what is happening to that 50% before race day and why are they not toeing the line?

Aaron Palain who is the RD for the race is very transparent and vocal on the FB page he might be able to give you more accurate information.

Based on all the feedback from athletes, support crew, and race stuff year 2 was improved from year 1.
Last edited by: bcagle25: Jul 27, 18 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Alaskaman Crew Report [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
bcagle 25, nice write-up! Here's my version of what went down, as a competitor:

Weather-

We were blessed in a HUGE way. At least until most of us were on the mountain
(more on that later). My bike computer read 50Âș to start the ride and maxed out at 70Âș, average of 57Âș. We had some thick fog/mist for the first 30-ish miles. I was wiping the condensation from my visor and jacket sleeves (soft-shell) so I could see and stay warm. It was thick enough and there was enough road grime that the front of my bike looked like we biked a rainy day by the end. We had very little wind to contend with. That is very unusual for the bike course
like unicorn and bigfoot unusual.

T1 Set up-

At the pre-race meeting we were told that transition would open up at 2 A.M. WTF did I sign up for?! That’s about going to bed time, not get-up-for-one-of-the-hardest-day-of-your-life times! Plus there’s this thing called daylight that makes it hard to go to sleep at 9 P.M. Anyway
quick and easy set up. Mostly because you’re allowed support and my wife would be helping me out anyway.

Swim (1:09:54, 4th)

Resurrection Bay is a place you’re not allowed to swim in. In all my visits down there growing up in Anchorage, the only time I thought about jumping in was after many shots of Schnapps on a boat moored up in the marina
still didn’t do it! Plus, it really isn’t legal. We were told that the temperature was around 60Âș
must have been measured right where that person was peeing at the time! Many watches read in the 55Âș area at the start. It felt a hell of a lot colder than that to me, and I went down 20 minutes early and did some head-dunking to get ahead of the brain-freeze game. It’s the only race that I wondered if I’d make it through the swim-thought I’d cramp up, especially around the neck and throat.

The tide was low at 4:45 A.M. I could have walked most of the first 500 meters
and some did do some walking! It’s just that the rocks were sharp and I couldn’t really see them well. I did manage to slice my left middle finger on a pull. Did I mention that there are salmon sharks in Resurrection Bay! According to Shark Week, they could smell me, but decided to hang in the deeps for all I know. The truth is, I really don’t know what sea life was around us. I could barely see my hands! It’s probably better that I didn’t see anything! There are some that said they heard clicking (porpoises) and whale-like sounds. I had wax to keep water out of my canals, so I can’t confirm that. But for storytelling purposes, there was a school of porpoises chasing away a school of orca that was chasing baby sea lions and searching for silvers!

There was one (ONE!!) bout at swim exit. I couldn’t see it until about 1000 meters out. Luckily, the local fire chief had a rig out there with flashers on. I’m pretty sure we were all using it to sight off of. Swim exit was a bit uneven and tricky, but there were wonderful volunteers there to keep us steady. My wife met me with some warm broth and I chugged it during the 200 meter jog to T1.

T1-

I said that my wife was there to help me in T1. Well, she relived her days of dressing our sons when they were 3 years old. I kinda got things on and started and then straightened my arms out and shouted, “ I can’t get it on all the way!” This happened for two arm warmers, two sleeves of my jacket and two gloves. She’s the best!

Bike (5:20:57, 2nd)

For an XTri, this was missing the ‘X.’ There is only about 4000 feet of elevation and we got dead-ass lucky for weather. Seriously, they’ll be talking about the three days around this race for at least the next 5 years up there as one of the best stretches of weather they’ve seen. The biggest challenge on the bike is the shoulder space in areas. There are some spots where you have a guard rail on the right, 2 feet of ride-able shoulder and then rumble strips to the left. All alongside a highway with 55+ mph traffic. In some spots there was a couple of inches of sand-like dir that built up in the rideable space, not horrible though. I say that and I was third and second on the road, never having to negotiate other riders. I’m sure passing and having others around felt completely different. The biggest obstacles were the “Bikers on Road” signs. They took up the entire shoulder and you had to hop the rumble strips and get onto the highway. This was maybe 5 times, The first 70-75 miles are rolling and gaining elevation. From about Mile 76 to 100, it’s flat as a pancake. For the last 12 we were on a bike path (aerobar riding not allowed-DQ penalty) and we had to carry bear spray here. Some saw bears there, I didn’t.

T2-

T2 is a rack that could squeeze 5 bikes on it and then 30 feet away was where running stuff was placed
in the dirts
just off the parking lot. If you hate 5 star hotels and love tent camping, this is the transition of your dreams! The announcer said I was only 10 minutes off the lead and that “I’ve seen 10 minutes leads disappear quickly.” Yeah, but has he seen them grow to 2 hours!!! He was about to!

Run (6:54:59, really not interested in looking at placing for that!)

Part I:
Thanks to a battle with Mad Calf, I knew this was participation-time for me. For the run, you are required to carry bear spray, your phone with the RaceJoy app running, jacket/long-sleeved shirt, hat, gloves, whistle, first aid kit (bandages and gauze), cell phone charger, compass (can be app on phone), and something to carry all that plus hydration in. It’s a gradual downhill run on a paved bike path to about mile 2.5, then turn around and head back up until you turn off and run pavement/hard-packed dirt until just short of mile 8 where we got a 7-Eleven-style aid station. I went for some Powerade to refill my hydration bladders, a small can of Coke and barbecue Lays. I had started to do some serious walking just short of the aid station and thought I’d try the junk food route to recovery. I doubt it worked, but it sure did make me feel happy! From the aid station, we got some single track trails that had some good downhill action and a few roots. I was able to pick up the pace, if only to not break my cankles on the roots. After a mile of this, there is a hand tram river crossing. There were four dudes there that may have been paid more to get you across faster rather than slower! The hikers in the area graciously moved aside and let me to the front. The two fellas on my side of the river forgot to tell me to hold onto something and off I went. Luckily, my Salomon pack cushioned me when the cart took off like California Screamin’. When I got my land-legs back on the other side the course continued on with another 2 miles of single track and boardwalk running. No bears sightings for me here, but I did hear that others did. Because it was such a beautiful days there were plenty of hikers. They were all very accommodating and moved off the trail for us as well as cheer us on. At about mile 10, we entered the Gates of Hell, or more commonly known as the nordic loop in Girdwood. We went 5K, U-turned and came back out 5K. The terrain was either 10-18% up, or 10-18% down. Horrible for legs that hurt from pounding. I could hike/run the ups, but had to walk the downs. Once we came out, it was an easy jaunt back to T2, where the mountain running started.

Part II:
The Mountain. It was HOT. When it’s 75Âș and hotter in Southcentral Alaska, it means there is no wind. That’s what we had! Sun on our backs, no wind, but plenty of humidity to keep the sweat constantly on my skin and suit. I met my support runner, grabbed two Cokes, filled my bottles, and was (easily) convinced to eat the heart of another friend’s remaining cinnamon roll-DELICIOUS! Going up the first ascent was great. I was able to hike at a pace that I had hoped for. We passed a few people on the way up and around Chair 6 at the top. The two snow patches were great for grabbing snow to munch on. Unfortunately, I did not see any syrup mixes for a Tiger’s Blood snow cone! At the 20.5 mile aid station, I refueled and topped off my bladders, then moved through the “No Cheer” zone. There was a wedding on the mountain and we were to be quiet. There was even security there to give us some evil eyes when we got a little loud. We walked the 2-ish miles down, my quads still couldn’t handle it. After a short cross-mountain jaunt at the bottom, we entered the North Face trail. Things were a little damper and we had to switchback our way, starting with Stairway to Heaven (stairs spaced out juuuust far enough to stretch the hammys). This second ascent was tougher and we were definitely slowing from our first ascent. Another walk down the same trail as the first loop and then a slight detour to the finish. Seven. Hour. Marathon. Ugghhh! That being said, I had the best time ever catching up with friends that I hadn’t seen for nearly a decade, including my support runner on the mountain. We were chattier that a couple of school girls getting back together after being sent to different band camps during summer vacation.

Ended up 8th in 13:38:16.

I’d love to hear from those that have done other races in the XTri series to see where this ranks for difficulty.

Nice report.

Driving the course I found it interesting how the caution bikes signs were directly in the bike lane. Apparently they cannot be off the road in Alaska.

The weather did decrease the "extremeness" of the race, it was a gorgeous day and not a cloud in the sky, however, the heat seemed to get to some, especially some of the locals. But that sun was relentless on the mountain, nowhere to hide!

How safe did you feel on the bike, especially the first 30-40 miles through the fog?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
How safe did you feel on the bike, especially the first 30-40 miles through the fog?

I grew up in Anchorage and started my triathlon-ing there. I've ridden that highway more than I'd like to admit, so I never felt unsafe. The only time I felt unsafe was at the edge of Seward heading north and a guy on a Harley rode up and told me to get on the bike path. I shook my head and said, "No." A quarter mile down the road he was coming off a side road as I approached. Luckily he only entered the highway behind me (very close though!) and gave me a good, loud blow by.

The bike signage was unfortunate. I wish Aaron would have mentioned it in the pre race for those unfamiliar. Or did he and I missed it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I saw that Alaskaman was part of the Xtri family lottery, but found it confusing that anyone was denied an entry (see the Nov 17 thread on XTri lottery results) when they didn't reach the 300 field limit. The 228 listed as registered came from the Alaskaman results on their website. Perhaps it wasn't updated properly because a lottery is not needed when there are fewer registrations than available openings. That is a mystery the RD will hopefully explain.

As to the DNS rate, yes, it is horrendous. Maybe, and I am totally speculating here, the injury rate is higher when training for an extreme because people know it is so difficult??

I am glad to hear that the race execution improved. I hope the registrations were also solid and the website is merely in error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alaska only had a lottery entry this year. I signed up for the lotto for Norseman, Swissman and AK and was denied for all three. Canadaman only had a signup so I did that race this year and absolutely loved it. Two friends were to join me but both had to cancel. After signing up for Canada I was contacted by AK about entry post-lotto entries but passed on it.

I did meet one woman on the run course at Canada who was heading to AK for her second Xtri race of the year...two week apart. That's hardcore.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Alaskaman Crew Report [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like they blew the lottery on Alaskaman. And yes, that lady is HARDCORE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading both of the race reports, sounds like an epic event!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought i would keep this thread going. I signed up for the Alaskaman 2019, wondering if anyone else is doing it? Also wondering if the lottery was 'real' as it says on the race website registration is still available.
I enjoyed the race recaps provided by those who have done the race, great insight. I was wondering if people that did the race used a TT bike? Also if you used road shoes or trial shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Alaskaman Crew Report [endurodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TT bike, disc wheel. Road shoes but that's what I race in other races as well. You might want to wear socks if you're into that and potentially toe warmers or rain covers of some kind. I didn't bother with any of that, though it was certainly cold AF at first.
Quote Reply