Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Mont-Tremblant 2018 [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was surprised it happened, only because it wasn't really -that- hot last Summer....maybe 25C? There have def been hotter years there, 2015 was brutal.
I was using a smith podium. My bike times there have ranged from about 5:40 to 6:05 there. I'm thinking an aero road helmet won't have a huge effect on my middle of pack placing. And of course may benefit me more than the aero loss by keeping things cool. When I hit T2 last Summer, I think I spent 6 or 7 minutes sitting in the tent cooling down, so if I can stay cooler on the bike.....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Mont-Tremblant 2018 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I too have found it hot out on the highway a couple of the years......last Summer was the first time it really bothered me and I pulled over at the aid station at the top of the long highway climb on the last lap, racked my bike and doused my head with cold water. Was probably only pulled over for a total of a minute or two, but that saved me from overheating.

I'm seriously considering using an 'aero road' helmet this year to keep the noggin a bit cooler, likely a POC Ventral.

I run hot to begin with. I wore my Rudy Aero helmet for Syracuse this year and cooked the last hour on the bike. When I titled my head, water ran down like a faucet. I'm going road helmet for IMMT this year. I'm also wearing an all white tri suit top to try and stay cooler on the bike.

Whether it's sleeveless vs sleeved wetsuit; aero helmet vs well-vented road helmet, whatever is going to keep you more comfortable and coolest will contribute to a better OA experience and likely better finish time for your avg MOP'er, like myself.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Mont-Tremblant 2018 [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
God willing, this will be my 2nd IMMT, 5th full OA. My 140.6 PR is from 6 years ago at LP when I had a no travel, low stress, work from home gig. Then I started my current job of high stress and tons of travel and my training and times predictably went south. But I continued to do halfs and fulls because I, too, am of the philosophy that I'd rather participate than not. I would just reset my expectations to my fitness level (and weight) come Race Day.

Luckily this year work travel has been substantially lighter and thus my training has been much better. Saturday Bike was 6 hours/ 95 miles/ 5500 ft elev. Sunday Ran a slow 17 miles @ 10min pace due to 80% humidity! One more heavy week of training and then Taper Time!

Best of luck to everyone with the remaining 27 days of training!

I feel your pain! this is my second full, both at IMMT. easy sell on the family, they all wanted to go back. but when I registered for the race in sept, I was working 25 minutes from my house. I was laid off in January and found a new job but its TWO HOURS commute each way. so getting the time in has been tough. I rarely sleep more than 5.5 hours a day. our kids have a lot more activities to shuttle them around to and its just been a big drain. I did it in 2016, in the monsoon. slowly, at 15:51. I knew I could do better and that's what got me going again. but so much has changed, hopefully the gains I've made will carry me through.

I'm bib 723! see you all there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JPDMD25 wrote:
Funny you should say that because my head cooked too. I wore a Giro Aerohead (black) last year and I might pass on it if the weather is the same as last. I know people say its not that much hotter, but for me...yup.

Probably going to wear the Air Attack (which is easier on my neck too over that distance).

interesting, I just got the rudy wing57 (I think that's what its called), I can pop out the vent to increase airflow. I wore the Giro attack last time and felt no neck issues but wanted something a little more aero (I need all the help I can get!). maybe worth bringing both with me and see what the forecast says? thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Mont-Tremblant 2018 [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the Air Attack isnt the most "aero" thing out there, but I've had success with it (being comfortable on long rides...no heat issues..etc). I do most of my training rides indoors and neck soreness is a concern for me as I dont compensate for the weight of the helmet over 5+ hours (I could be that dork wearing a helmet indoors for those long training rides to build strength).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JPDMD25 wrote:
I know the Air Attack isnt the most "aero" thing out there, but I've had success with it (being comfortable on long rides...no heat issues..etc). I do most of my training rides indoors and neck soreness is a concern for me as I dont compensate for the weight of the helmet over 5+ hours (I could be that dork wearing a helmet indoors for those long training rides to build strength).

well, my slow ass is most likely 6.5+!! I also come out of aero a bit to change my position because I have a hard time sitting still. not necessarily discomfort, but just to move a bit. I may be a bit ADHD. used it during 2 Olympics and it was comfortable. I've never had much discomfort with heat on the bike. I do all my training indoors; cant structure anything outdoors because my terrain is too varied. the roads are pretty beat up and people drive like morons. I digress... I know my best chance of improving my time is going to be when I'm pushing down rolling hills and the few flat spots. I try to manage my efforts going up the hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there for the monsoon as well.
Other than thinking I was going to drown (waves at the far end of the swim...ugghh..), I loved racing in the rain, kept things nice and cool. Oddly I had my best bike split that year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah the swim was a bit rough. Started getting choppy a bit before the turn and the last 2/3 of a mile was really difficult. Garmin said i swam 2.57 miles!

My bike split was not at all what I wanted. But hydroplaning, not being able to see, I just couldn’t feel comfortable going faster. Also seeing the bike carnage on duplessis from that crash.... yikes. I kept repeating that scene from Forrest Gump.... the stingin rain, the big ole fat rain, the sideways rain, etc.... I think I even saw bubba and lt dan! LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that was a bad crash. I still think it is a very safe course, people just need to use common sense on that fast downhill sweeping turn. They do have the no pass zone right before it now to slow things a little bit.

I used to have an Air Attack, and it was one of the most comfortable helmets I've ever worn. I got rid of it for 2 reasons - 1. I had trouble with the shield falling off. This may have been corrected in later versions. And 2. because it got such a bad rap here on slowtwitch as an aero helmet....but that was probably a bad reason as the comfort is worth it IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course is great and very safe. On a few curves and turnarounds, other than that, wide open. And road quality is great.

Agree on the air attack, my shield has popped off, and also on a day like 2016, can’t realy wipe it in fear of knocking it off. You can actually hear the magnets clanking when you hit a bump. My Rudy shield broke, I still have to send in my old one for a replacement. Worst case, I’ve got sunglasses. It’s pretty comfortable but the other thing is it’s kinda old. I got an older model on sale and I know helmets have a 4-5 year shelf life. The Rudy is comfy. Shorter races but never felt hot. It was mid 70’s and humid.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Mont-Tremblant 2018 [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coralsnake wrote:
JPDMD25 wrote:
With less than a month to go, who's in? How's everyone's training going?

This will be my 4th Tremblant and Im psyched!

This is my first full distance after 4x70.3s and a bunch of Olys.

Feeling pretty solid but don't know what to expect.

Been getting the training in despite the demands of a stressful job and 5 kids at home including a one year old.

Run training has been limited due to a nagging plantar fasciitis issue since last August. But In the last 2 weeks it's feeling better than it has all year.

Very excited.

I’m with all of you! 2 Kids. Full Time Job. Finishing Doctoral Thesis. Have done 4 HIMs and dozens of smallers. First IM...and totally psyched. Let the SufferFest commence!

---------------------------------------------------------------
My other car is a Felt. DFL>DNF>DNS.

"There will come a day you won't be able to do this, today is not that day."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. This will be my 2nd IMMT and 2nd Ironman after doing it in 2015 - that year it was also super hot.

I've run through the heatwave and biked through the rainy week we just had. (I'm from Ottawa, so only 2hrs away), so I'm prepared for anything. I'm one of those guys who looks forward to poor weather. Bring on the rain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 IMMT will be my first Ironman since Florida in 2000. Bit of a hiatus. I've kept in pretty good shape but only really got back into tri specific training last October. My swimming has been good, no issue there, figure I'll go 1:10 to 1:15 if I take it easy. I was worried about my bike until yesterdays ride. 160km in 5:07, best ride I've had all year. Finally feel ready on that front. My running sucks, always has. As long as I can put one foot in front of the other I'll be good.

Looks like the temps have gone back down to normal summer like conditions. Hopefully we get a good day.

https://trigeek1969.blogspot.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stoked to find out that Lionel Sanders will be racing IMMT this year!! It'll be cool to see him on the Run course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NddkZj16I_4
Quote Reply
Re: IM Mont-Tremblant 2018 [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He did it a few years back (20150 and I remember just starting my marathon when we passed each other. He was running downhill and back into town finishing up. Humbling and amazing for sure...absolute beast.
Quote Reply

Prev Next