Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leg workouts
Quote | Reply
Hi. Are there any leg workouts you guys suggest I should do to imrove avg speed other than just biking?
Quote Reply
Re: Leg workouts [jacobpeacock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More information required.
What are your goals? Races? Distances?
When you say average speed-almost certainly mean you need to increase your average power.
What equipment do you have access to: Indoor trainer? Power meter? Gym for weights?
Plus don't forget the diet and waistline angle as well.....
Quote Reply
Re: Leg workouts [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My races are mostly sprint and supersprint distances. I do have a trainer but its just a basic one and a speedometer with cadence sensor. My avg speed only reaches about 28kmph (about 17mph) on flat courses. My previous avg speed were just about 26kmph Earlier this year (around January). My diet usually consist of rice and meats like chicken,pork,beef etc. Im not sure how to get my waistline angle.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, lost in translation.....waistline angle means getting diet etc in order and looking at an ideal race weight.
Watts/kg is an often used comparator in cycling circles. One can make an argument that it is not as important when in the aero position but still a good guide. Means you can improve in two ways, get lighter (to a degree) and also build power through structured training.
Quote Reply
Re: Leg workouts [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh ok. I dont have a power meter so im not really sure how much watts i produce. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this stage and at your speed, you would get more out of just riding more. Two hard sessions a week the rest pretty easy, one longish ride. Given time your power and speed will improve. Not dismissing resistance training for legs here, but there’s more bang for buck from just riding more at this stage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart trainers and power meters are nice if you can afford them, but not necessary. To get faster at cycling you also don't need to do any leg workouts other than more cycling. Basically you just need to ride more and ride harder. E.g.:
- Go find a local hill that takes you somewhere between 5 and 20 minutes to ride up. Ride up it as hard as you can, recover on the way down, then repeat a few times.
- Find a local cycle club with a good group ride that you can join. Ideally with riders who are stronger than you, but not so much stronger that you're immediately dropped or ruining the ride for others. Do your turns at the front as best you can, dig deep and hang on at the back when you need to, getting dropped occasionally is nothing to be ashamed of, it's all part of the learning cycle
- Get on your basic trainer and do 2 x 20 minutes at around threshold effort, with 5-10 minutes recovery in between. You're aiming to do the same intensity throughout, if you pace it right then the first 20 leaves you pretty tired but with a little bit left in reserve, the second 20 leaves you wanting to fall off the bike and go lie down for an hour without moving. Do that once a week (twice if you can handle it).

Ride as many miles per week as you can fit in around running, swimming, work and life. Do some work at race intensity or above on every ride.

That should take care of the fitness side. As mentioned above, if you're carrying excess weight then eat better or eat less to get rid of it. You may also be able to buy some speed with better equipment or fitting, there's plenty of advice on that elsewhere on this forum, but the basics are:
- Get a professional fit ($$)
- Race wheels ($$-$$$)
- Fast tires with latex tubes ($)
- Tri bike ($$$-$$$$)
- Aero helmet ($$)
Quote Reply
Re: Leg workouts [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I appreciate it. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply