Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LAKE PLACID RAIN TIPS
Quote | Reply
Up in LP where mother nature is torturing us this week with beautiful weather. I know the forecast can change on a dime in the Adirondacks, but there has been a rain cloud hanging over Sunday all week.

Anyone ever done LP in the rain? Tips for bike clothing? If this low 60s + rain holds, it could be chilly on those descents. Not to mention sketchy if the winds pick up and the roads are wet.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: LAKE PLACID RAIN TIPS [w3bradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it 2014 when we had a thunderstorm roll through during the swim and beginning portion of the bike. I had arm warmers, and a wind vest over my jersey and I was freezing by the time I was done the decent into Keene. I will caveat that by saying I get cold easily. I wouldn't have minded gloves as I was having a hard time holding the bars my hands got so cold and maybe one of my warmer jerseys. Again I get cold very easily so I may not be the best example, and once the sun came out it went from freezing to warm very quickly. I ended up shedding the vest and arm warmers at special needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were up there for training camp when it deluged all weekend long (just before the horse show). It was a balmy 58 degrees that day.

Some tips for you:

• It's going to feel even colder given how warm Mirror Lake is right now. If it winds up being a wetsuit optional swim, be very honest about whether or not you've got a shot at KQing and make your decision on how well your body regulates heat. Finishing the race in the "participation" category is a hell of a lot better than DNFing because you decided you "had" to swim without a wetsuit.
  • The pavement out by the ski jumps, although new, is fine when wet. The bridge brackets are metal, so don't plan on trying to turn on them. Pick a line and stay with it.
  • It is going to be warmer down in the valleys. I would vote for arm warmers as your riding choice (which, hell, go to Walmart and pick up some leggings cheap, that works out well). I wore a one-piece sleeveless kit, and outside of the descent (more below), I was fine.
  • The descent: the longer you're on it, the colder you feel (you're not pedaling much whether you do it at 25 MPH or 50+ MPH; I was leading a group of nervous riders and rode down slowly and froze). Be forewarned that for the first two miles, the potholes fill in with water. Stay far right (high side, real close to the guardrail), or you need to go center. Be smart. Thankfully, it usually doesn't gust too badly if it's raining - which makes the descent fine from a handling perspective.
  • Per usual, run 5-10 PSI less than you normally would. Avoid painted lines like the plague.
  • I would highly recommend a change of clothes for your T2 bag. Bring an outfit you've used in really wet conditions before and plan on taking that extra 30 seconds to swap.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: LAKE PLACID RAIN TIPS [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing. Thanks to both of you. I get cold easily. I think I'll just wear cycling shorts, jersey, arm warmers, and gilet (if it truly does stay 57-low 60s out of the water) and then just switch into running gear at T2. Would rather be comfortable for 112 miles then try to tough it out in my sleeveless tri kit and burn through a bunch of calories to stay warm. And if I get warm, I can just put the warmers in my jersey pocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those famous latex gloves can keep your hands/fingers warm in such weather. Easy to discard. Cheap to purchase. Should always carry some in your travel bag.
Quote Reply
Re: LAKE PLACID RAIN TIPS [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
We were up there for training camp when it deluged all weekend long (just before the horse show). It was a balmy 58 degrees that day.

Some tips for you:

• It's going to feel even colder given how warm Mirror Lake is right now. If it winds up being a wetsuit optional swim, be very honest about whether or not you've got a shot at KQing and make your decision on how well your body regulates heat. Finishing the race in the "participation" category is a hell of a lot better than DNFing because you decided you "had" to swim without a wetsuit.
  • The pavement out by the ski jumps, although new, is fine when wet. The bridge brackets are metal, so don't plan on trying to turn on them. Pick a line and stay with it.
  • It is going to be warmer down in the valleys. I would vote for arm warmers as your riding choice (which, hell, go to Walmart and pick up some leggings cheap, that works out well). I wore a one-piece sleeveless kit, and outside of the descent (more below), I was fine.
  • The descent: the longer you're on it, the colder you feel (you're not pedaling much whether you do it at 25 MPH or 50+ MPH; I was leading a group of nervous riders and rode down slowly and froze). Be forewarned that for the first two miles, the potholes fill in with water. Stay far right (high side, real close to the guardrail), or you need to go center. Be smart. Thankfully, it usually doesn't gust too badly if it's raining - which makes the descent fine from a handling perspective.
  • Per usual, run 5-10 PSI less than you normally would. Avoid painted lines like the plague.
  • I would highly recommend a change of clothes for your T2 bag. Bring an outfit you've used in really wet conditions before and plan on taking that extra 30 seconds to swap.

Excellent advice!
Quote Reply
Re: LAKE PLACID RAIN TIPS [choppadude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 1984 I believe it was it was rainy and cold

No wetsuits back then and most just wore Speedo’s

I don’t remember the bike course being bad in the rain

Got hypothermia. I remember getting off the bike and nothing else until I woke up 1/2 way back to Rochester. Found out I didn’t even attempt the run and was swearing at the poor volunteers about the oranges.

Thanks to my sister in law for packing up the car, getting me inside and driving home

Yikes. Lol
Last edited by: RBR: Jul 21, 18 4:18
Quote Reply
Re: LAKE PLACID RAIN TIPS [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

Got hypothermia. I remember getting off the bike and nothing else until I woke up 1/2 way back to Rochester. Found out I didn’t even attempt the run and was swearing at the poor volunteers about the oranges.

Thanks to my sister in law for packing up the car, getting me inside and driving home

Yikes. Lol

'84? Was that the half that the bike went around in the other direction?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: LAKE PLACID RAIN TIPS [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
RBR wrote:

Yikes. Lol

'84? Was that the half that the bike went around in the other direction?

It was a half. Sorry no idea what direction the bike went

I think before the race the largest Hill I ever rode up was around 1%

And the furthest I had run was 7 miles lol. What could go wrong?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: LAKE PLACID RAIN TIPS [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching the IM live feed and it looks like it's dry at IMLP right now...but threatening. Hope the rain stays away. Forecast says sunny by noon so they'll get warmer later.

http://www.ironman.com/...y=2018#axzz5LysHqDCm
Quote Reply