Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Considering a move...
Quote | Reply
So I have an opportunity to move from the Hartford, CT area down to the Raleigh, NC area. This is for my work. My wife is so-so on the idea. I have 4 young kids, 2 are school aged. Tell me what I need to know about this move! I’m open to all aspects from general lifestyle to tri-specific. What should I be thinking about and considering? Advice from those who have done this before or have lived in both areas is especially helpful. Thanks so much in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering a move... [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Raleigh! A few more Slowtwitchers on here are too. Triathlon is big here and you can train year round outside.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of active people in Raleigh. I live here as well. Aside from triathlon, the economy here is booming and has been for a while. There are a ton of good neighborhoods and with you coming from the north you will be able to land a solid house in a nice area, at least that's what seems to be the pattern. Downtown is nice and has a lot going on, but still retains a small feel. Higher education wise, this area has more people per capita with degrees than anywhere else in the country last time I looked. That isn't saying the general education system in the state isn't flawed, just that there are a lot of smart people within RTP. For your kids, there are a lot of solid schools depending on where you choose to live within Wake county. I live south of the city, its a little less populated right now, but growing just the same. Infrastructure is being bolstered to keep up. Raleigh has a very young vibe going on with a great music and food scene. . .and a shitload of breweries.

Garner area is growing considerably as the land and housing values are still cheaper than the rest of the area.
Cary/Mooresville area is pack with a lot of northern transplants. Its a very clean and nice area, but Cary specifically can be a pain in the ass.
Raleigh Proper has its pockets just like every other city in the country, but there are nice neighborhoods within distance to most major downtown areas.
Wake Forest area not to familiar with, but its busy as well.

Tri/athletic perspective: I know of at least 2 triathlon clubs in the area that are active and probably a few more triathlon specific coaching groups that also have several athletes. There are too many run clubs to keep track off. There is one that meets at least every single day of the week, some days have multiple going on. All are tied to breweries or a few run stores.

If you decide to come down and look let us know. I am sure there are a lot of people that will chime in from Slowtwitch.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are multiple threads on the RDU area. Search them and you'll get a ton of info.

It's pretty sweet on the whole, lot's to do. I don't regret moving back to Tucson yet at times I do.

The riding is pretty good, a bit limited in terrain and the population is growing faster and further out so it's taking longer and longer to clear higher traffic areas. That being said it's pretty safe and drivers are pretty good.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the same move about 4 years ago. I loved that I never used an ice scraper, and it was pretty seasonable year round. The roads are not really built for running and riding, so I had to be creative to get some of my longer runs in. I got into mountain biking as a result, and there are some really nice areas for that in NC. In the end however southern life was not for us, family obligations etc and we are back in CT. Sometimes I miss the weather but that's about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering a move... [caffeinator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s really interesting. What about southern life wasn’t for you? Did you want to leave CT originally? Could you elaborate a little more about what didn’t work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in upstate NY and moved to the Raleigh area (Cary to be specific) in 1993 and lived there until the government sent me to Houston it the beginning of 2004.

I would move back in a heartbeat. Loved the area.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sending you a PM
Quote Reply
Re: Considering a move... [caffeinator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caffeinator, would you mind sending me that same PM? Husband and I are considering a move from Maine to Wilmington, NC - so although not quite the same, I would imagine the north-to-south living challenges would be similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Fairfield CT and moved to and stayed in NC..has it’s good and bads as anywhere...the humidity sucks, but the short winters don’t. You’ll be in a great fitness area
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If nothing else, just look at the cost of living and the quality of life. Raleigh has some traffic, but it's nowhere near that of Hartford. Cost of living is lower in Raleigh (if you look it up, it looks like Hartford is cheaper, but that's the average housing cost... including the crappy areas you definitely don't want to live in... if you compare what you can get in Raleigh vs Hartford when it comes to a nice home, you'll see that your money goes further in Raleigh).

If you and your family can't stand humidity, then Raleigh is probably not the place... and if you can't stand the snow (and slush...) then CT is not for you

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raleigh is very nice. It always rates high on best places to live, etc. However, I am very glad I am in Winston-Salem 90 miles West of there. The traffic in Raleigh when I occasionally ride there is MUCH worse. A couple of Saturdays ago I met a couple of young guys here to take them on a 100 mile ride. I live in town 3 minutes from my office and I always start right out our front door (garage really) and we saw a total of 7 cars during our first 2 hours of riding. It picked up a bit on the return trip but not bad. Raleigh also doesn't have as diverse terrain. I can be in mountains in a little over an hour, and frequently bike to the Blue Ridge Parkway from home. I would not trade living in the fair city to our East for anything. The Raleigh area does have Cid Cardosa and InsideOut Sports which is a HUGE plus!

It is interesting, now that I am older, I am glad I never traded away lifestyle and convenience. I wish I had a few more close (out the door) trails, and there is always a wish list of other things. All in all it is great being close to work, close to kids' schools, safe, and athletic lifestyle friendly. . . . all while having big city conveniences, arts, etc. I would be miserable if I lived somewhere that I had to drive to get to a bike route.

Lastly, I came from the Chicago area to NC 36 years ago (just after I started triathlons) and have never looked back. I love it here!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering a move... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds very similar to life in and around Chattanooga. Can't beat the laid back lifestyle of us Southerners.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering a move... [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I LOVE Choo! Actually very similar! We even submitted an IM bid but you all beat us.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply