Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Splain this imported drug thing to me [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
No wonder people give up on the scientist types and believe the earth is 7000 years old.

Scientists don't fund themselves. If you find this type of science lacking, go after Big Pharma, NIH, etc. Not "scientist types."
Quote Reply
Re: Splain this imported drug thing to me [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
H- wrote:
No wonder people give up on the scientist types and believe the earth is 7000 years old.

Scientists don't fund themselves. If you find this type of science lacking, go after Big Pharma, NIH, etc. Not "scientist types."

I have no idea regarding the extant science. What I find lacking is data in a thread where critical thinking would be informed by data. Without data we are just as good as new earth creationists.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Splain this imported drug thing to me [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Without data we are just as good as new earth creationists.

Right. But those types of studies are very complicated and expensive to do well. You have to handle multiple medical systems, multiple languages and types of consent and compare medical outcomes that are reported differently into some normalize format. Across national boundaries.

The two entities with that kind of money are Big Pharma and Big Government. And neither, by itself, has a strong incentive to perform that kind of study. So you'll have to lobby them. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Splain this imported drug thing to me [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
H- wrote:
Without data we are just as good as new earth creationists.

Right. But those types of studies are very complicated and expensive to do well. You have to handle multiple medical systems, multiple languages and types of consent and compare medical outcomes that are reported differently into some normalize format. Across national boundaries.

The two entities with that kind of money are Big Pharma and Big Government. And neither, by itself, has a strong incentive to perform that kind of study. So you'll have to lobby them. Good luck.

You have taught me something. I've learned that there is no, or not much, data on comparative drug safety, effectiveness, and regulation and, thus, research in this area would be a good thing, something to be worked for, to be advocated for. Thank you.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Splain this imported drug thing to me [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
len wrote:
Slowman wrote:
we don't want americans to buy drugs from canadian pharmacies, or from any other overseas countries, because they lack the safeguards and standards of american drugs. right? or is there some other defensible reason? so, no snarkiness about the probable true reason (the protections of profits). are there other defensible, logical reasons not to buy drugs from, say, spain or iceland?

i ask because i just read about a recall of a blood pressure drug sold in the US and made in CHINA! meaning, i won't buy dog food or dog treats made in china. literally. i pay twice as much for food for our 4 big dogs because i want it made here in the US, because of china's history of killing US dogs with their dog food.

now, you might say slowman, don't get your panties in a wad over 1 drug. but here's how this article ends, with a quote from a cardiologist: "it’s not just valsartan,” dr. lever said. “it’s becoming very difficult for me to write prescriptions at all. there are so many drugs that are coming in from india and china and companies are buying and selling each other and you don’t know what’s what."

so, i guess my question is - not that i take any prescription drugs but in theory - is it just a fact-based fallacy that prescription drugs in the US are safer? are they even as safe as drugs purchased by consumers in, say, switzerland or norway or france?

Last night I spent 90 minutes issuing all the prescriptions for folks who are on valsartan and need to be switched to the alternative bp meds. I am in Canada. Good times. As to your question I cannot see any reason why not to buy medication from other first world countries. My understanding is that brand name valsartan (here called diovan) was not affected so that might be a plug for brand names vs generics. But that is another conversation.

can you tell me whether it's a requirement for drugs to have the country of manufacture identified? as it is with foods and many other consumer products in the US?

I can tell you this much. My Valsartan was on the U.S. recall list. My normal pharmacy did not have a supply from a manufacturer that was not. My physician found a pharmacy that did and wrote a Rx and sent it to the other pharmacy. So, there appears to meaningful tracability.
Quote Reply

Prev Next