Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do I handle this possible job change?
Quote | Reply
I am very happy with where I am now, however there is a talk that our schedule may change and that will seriously screw me up.
The other day I received an e-mail that another hospital is looking for people with my qualification, it was one of those circular e-mails, contact this person if interested. The e-mail didn't specify anything, no work days or hours, specific locations... So I e-mailed that person and the next day I received a response to call for a talk. I am not looking to change now or at all, just down the road if the changes that I don't like are implemented. So how do I handle this, I am asking as I really don't know. Is it ok to say that I am just looking/feeling for now, just in case for the future? Should I mention the possible changes that I don't like and why. What else?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I handle this possible job change? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those emails are always the night shift on weekends, at least in my job.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't respond to an e-mail but if the talk is in person there is nothing wrong with going there in person.

There is no decision to be made until another company offers a job so until then, nothing wrong with keeping your options open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a GREAT time to be looking for a new job! Go listen. You have nothing to lose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing wrong with inquiring about the position. That is really all you are doing. You will likely be asked a number of questions but you only have to disclose as much as you are comfortable (keep in mind they are trained to learn about you). At a minimum, you tell them that you saw the email and are curious to hear more about the job and the details.

If it isn't for you, then thank them for their time and be done with it. If it sounds like a great fit, you should explore it. If it is a better fit, why wouldn't you consider it. In the end, life is about relationships. There is no reason to not make a contact if it is something you might be interested in the future OR something you could refer another co-worker. It is never a bad thing to have options.

This process played out for me just this past week. I am a finalist for a job. I know the job is mine as I helped write the job description. Great opportunity, going to enjoy it. It's just taking forever to go through the process. Last week a friend of mine that works at a Big 4 firm called me to catch up. He then dropped that his company is looking for a position in my town with my exact background. My ears perked up. He wanted to know if I would consider it. Consider? Sure. But it's unlikely. He gave me a hard sales pitch and wanted to schedule a meeting with the regional guy. I am agreeable to that. No harm in just talking. Talked to regional VP for over an hour yesterday. He wants to move to interview next week, fly me out there, whole 9 yards. I flat out tell him that it is very unlikely I would take the job. He ups the ante. I finally get him to admit the job is 80% travel and that is a complete deal breaker on me end. He understands that. Game over. In the end, I made a contact, had a good conversation, explored an area that I didn't originally have interest in, learned more about what a Big 4 does in my area and enjoyed a conversation. All good things on my end.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I handle this possible job change? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply