Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cottage water system question
Quote | Reply
I rent a cottage every year - never any issues with water supply. It is the usual: hose from the lake, water pump, pressure tank setup.

This year the owner just had an inline Rainfresh sediment filter installed. Ever since, the water supply will just shut off while in use - usually for longer duration like a shower or dishwasher or washing machine. The pump won't lose prime, so five to ten to fifteen minutes later the water will come back on normally.

I have the filter on the bypass setting and it still doesn't matter - same result. If I switch the filter setting from bypass to on, or from on to bypass, it seems to release pressure in the system and the pump will kick in immediately and the water will flow fine.

If I had to guess, I would think the filter is creating some kind of vacuum that is tricking the pressure tank/pump into not realizing that water needs to be drawn, but I can't figure out a solution.

Any tips appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Cottage water system question [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance the filter is clogged?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Cottage water system question [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The filter is not clogged but even if it was, I figured the bypass setting should have made that irrelevant.

It is confounding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a suggestion, but I'm wondering why you are trying to fix this and not asking to owner to deal with it. If I owned a property that I rented out I'm not sure I'd be very happy about my renter/tenant messing around with the mechanical systems. Just my $.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Cottage water system question [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Owner is a friend. He is not handy. Plumbers, etc. take a long time to get up here, so owner is happy for me to fix what I can and save him some bucks - and so that we can actually enjoy normal water flow for the week or so before a plumber gets here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever think it may be the pump? Maybe if it runs too long it overheats and shuts itself off. Then cools down and comes back on. I've seen this happen with swimming pools pumps. Since it only happens on longer cycles, maybe something to look into.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bypass may have too small an orifice for full flow. Try putting in a 20 micron filter Instead of the 5 it likely has. Too fine of a filter may be causing back pressure.
Quote Reply
Re: Cottage water system question [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. Will check both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The impellers on pumps wear down as they age (mostly from grit in the water), causing the pump to have to work harder for the same lift and flow. Eventually, they have to run continuously to pressurize the tank and they'll overheat periodically while doing so.

My guess is that the pump is periodically going into thermal shutdown because it is worn and having to work too hard. It may be time for a new pump (or at least a new impeller if the pump is serviceable). You can test this by feeling if the motor is hot to the touch when it shuts down.

In the mean time, it might help if you reduce the cutoff pressure on the sensor. This will reduce your water pressure and flow a bit, but will make it easier for the pump to do its work.

EDIT: Also check the air pressure in the tank. Assuming it is a bladder tank, the air pressure while empty should be 2 psi below the cut-in water pressure. If any water comes out of the air valve, the bladder has ruptured and the tank needs to be replaced.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Jul 21, 18 19:00
Quote Reply