Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yosemite Plan B - Update
Quote | Reply
An update for those thinking of visiting California anytime soon.

We flew into San Francisco and spent 4 days in the bay area. The weather was "Special" with fog every day until the early afternoon. fortunately being Albertans and prepared for all weathers we had adequate clothing.

Alcatraz was amazing as was Sausalito. We really enjoyed riding the Trolley car up and down the hills whilst hanging onto the sides. Running was fun and heading out along the coast each day towards the bridge was nice.

Instead of Yosemite we took the advice of some of you people and went to Monterey where we spent 3 nights. We liked the town and really enjoyed the walks in the area. The Aquarium was very good as well and recommended.

We took the drive down to Hearst Castle which was fantastic, what an amazing collection of art. The drive back at sunset was beautiful.

Lake Tahoe next, there was some smoke in the area but not enough to make a real impact. You couldn't really get the view across the lake but it was enough to get the general impression. I would highly recommend Pope beach as a place to hang out, I learnt to SUP with the kids which was great fun.

The Rubicon trail was a pleasant hike and i would recommend visiting Vikingsholm if you like architecture at all, very nice.

final location was Eureka on the Northern Coast for the Giant Redwoods. Probably our favourite place during the trip, those trees are just beautiful.

Thanks for looking after us California and good luck with those fires. We didn't realize there were so many of them.

Last edited by: russ: Aug 14, 18 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they aren't already part of your plans, Monterey down to Big Sur and Muir Woods out to Point Reyes are both pretty damn cool.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't look like the fire west of YNP is going to get better any time soon--in fact it looks like it may get worse.

I'd recommend SEKI as an alternative to consider as you work your way towards Tahoe

https://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, great suggestions that i can put forward to the Domestic Commander.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can go to the historic gold mining town of Columbia...

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=552

then to the Moaning Caverns...

https://caverntours.com/...alifornia-zip-lines/

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you have reservations for this week, don't cancel your plans yet. Forest Fires are unpredictable, sometimes they grow big but only last a week, sometimes they last months. Also remember that Yosemite is a big place and air quality may be poor in one area and just fine in other areas.

But if it you are smoked out then consider Lassen or Sequoia. Lassen in particular is much less crowded but has some great geothermal activity. Plus your kids can say they hike to Bumpass Hell.
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Bumpass hell sounds like a winner for sure. I'm monitoring the fire situation to see which way things go but it's not looking good. We had a load of fires last year up here in the Great White North and they dragged on for a long time, fingers crossed for the people in California that this gets put down quickly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be afraid to look back north. Northern California has some jewels, particularly along the coast, and they're nowhere near as overrun as the big tourist destinations. You could even head to northeast California, where you'll find a different kind of beauty, hiking, and, again, fewer people.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trinity Alps Wilderness
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park - less crowded, nearly equally spectacular.

Quote | Reply
mammoth lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park - less crowded, nearly equally spectacular.

Shhhhh!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for your recommendations, Sequoia - Kings Canyon does look amazing and i think we'll look at hotels etc in that area although the drive down to Big Sur looks great too, so many choices.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.google.com/...quality-13101183.php

Damn, Yosemite is closed.

Currently at Sequoia and was supposed to go to Yosemite Friday through Monday. Thankfully cancelled cabin in time and got a full refund.

Pray for the firefighters fighting the fire and the heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:
We're down in California later this month on a 2 week vacation where we had planned to spend a few days in Yosemite hiking. The Ferguson fire appears to be getting worse and Yosemite has issued a smoke / Air quality advisory.

We had planned to drive from SF to Yosemite and then up to Tahoe. what alternative could i factor in to replace Yosemite if the smoke situation stays bad?

There are four of us including 2 teen kids in a rental car.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Head south to Big Sur, see it, then turn around and go north along the Cali coastal highway all the way up to Oregon. That's what we did one year, We were also able to take in Tahoe and Yosemite on the same trip, but if its still closed there is still lots to see in northern California. Sucks if you have to miss Tahoe and Yosemite though.
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crater Lake is definitely worth a drive.
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a drive from Sequoia, but Lassen and Shasta are interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Yosemite is pretty much out now and parts of the park are closing or closed already. There have also been some smoke issues in Lake Tahoe..go figure..Nature.

We have decided to head south a little ways along the coast and stay around Monterey for a few days before heading up to Tahoe. After Tahoe we're in Northern Cali looking at big trees anyway so we get to enjoy a bit of everything.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit Pt. Lobos if you down in Carmel. A far superior option to 17 mile drive.

If you want to see coastal redwoods there is a really nice short hike in Henry Cowell State Park just outside of Santa Cruz. Their parking lot boarders the parking lot for Roaring Camp which offers steam train rides which is great for younger kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd stay near the coast on this trip. We are in an oppressive heat wave and it is likely still going to be 90 at 5,000 elevation.

Quote | Reply
If you stay in Monterey a few days, go for a whale watching trip...

https://www.facebook.com/gowhales/

or kayak in the Moss Landing/Elkhorn Slough or along Cannery Row...

https://www.montereybaykayaks.com/

and if around on a Sunday, go for a swim with the Kelp Krawlers...

https://www.facebook.com/KelpKrawlers/

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [Smil'n Hawaiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions, seems like we have lots to do now. We're looking forward to seeing California in all it's glory.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will add another vote for Lassen. We spent a week in and around the park. Loved it. Great scenery. Few people. Interesting conversations with people hiking the PCT.

Kings Canyon is outstanding as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’ve got the effect of fires. If we can throw in a good earthquake, huge traffic jams, a few full gas tanks at our prices and a bunch of illegals running around with Mexican flags denouncing America you’ll leave fully California-Ized.
Quote Reply
Re: Yosemite Plan B? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds awesome, coming from Canada it's going to be fun. Make Murica great again...wrong state maybe?

Quote Reply