Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [TTrider331] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTrider331 wrote:
Hello - first post here, I hope it's okay to bring up this old thread but I figured this was an appropriate one.

I'm on the verge of buying a SystemSix and have done a lot of research; the bike looks incredible. I'm wondering how this bike would fair to dual purpose as a TT frame, switching out the cockpit (and wheels) on race day.

My TT saddle position is basically identical to my road bike saddle position with a lot of setback and me requiring a lot of arm pad stack. Fit wise I would imagine this could be better for me than a regular TT frame. My question is will this frame be significantly slower than a full fledged TT frame, take the SuperSlice as an example? Or will it likely just be two or three watt loss? My target races are likely to sustain speeds of around ~29-32mph.

For reference I am pretty serious about time trialing, to remain semi anonymous I got top ten at TT nationals and top ten at Grand Fondo Worlds TT, with a target of winning both in the future.

my instinct tells me that you have better options available. 2 things come to mind. first, you're a very strong rider, and you therefore take this seriously. nobody that i know who's really good time trials in the same saddle position as his road bike, and with a high front end. that's how we started. in the beginning of 1987, when we first got the aerobars and no one knew how to use them. we had them figured out by the end of 1987. so, notwithstanding your palmares, i question whether there's a better position available for you, simply based on 30+ years of evolution.

second, there is not going to be any cockpit switching on that bike. there could be cockpit adding, that is, you put an aerobar on the road bike. but not on that bike. so, you'd take off the front end. but that bike has hydraulic brakes, no? you're going to disconnect the hydraulic brake line, take the front end off, replace it, and reconnect and bleed the brakes? for your TT? and then switch everything back? you can tell me what you think, but, i'm guessing not.

if you wanted to spend the SAME money, you could go to The Pro's Closet, right now, get a supersix evo, basically new bikes, the demo fleet, and have enough left over for a standalone TT bike. and then we'd work on your position here on the forum ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the quick reply. I believe I've found a good deal on a lightly used SystemSix which has sparked my interest in the bike.

My intentions are to add aero bars to the drop road bar during training and non-target TT's (there's hardly any around here anyway.) This would allow me to "ride my tt bike" basically all of the time. For TT nationals, and if I go back to Grand Fondo World's, I do intend to completely swap the cockpit even with the hydraulic brakes as I do all my wrenching and have shop tool access. Running mechanical actuated Spyres is also an option which I'm running on my current bike.

Off topic regarding TT fit...

To start I am completely open to all advice. I am 6'3", 800mm saddle height to BB, ~10cm setback, long femurs, short tib/fib, only size 11 shoe, and a shorter torso with longer arms. My lower back does not bend too well and instead I have a hunch in my upper back. For the past year I've been stretching and working on mobility religiously to get my lower back to bend more.

In my experience - I must have my pelvis upright to activate my glutes & hamstrings and be "behind the pedals" to generate my power. I've tried the forward saddle, forward tilted pelvis, low torso - and my power would uncomfortably drop ~50 watts at threshold, and practically prevent me from going to higher power zones. With my more upright pelvis position and higher pad stack, I can comfortably "sink" between my arms, turtle up my shoulders, and have a relatively flat mid to upper back/head/helmet. In short - instead of getting low I try to get narrow and flat; right or wrong I don't know...

I am really fascinated about aerodynamics and time trial bike fitting, balancing with power output; but I have only researched the internet and have never really conversed with anyone on the subject.

Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [TTrider331] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Systemsix with mechanical Ultegra and Vision Metron 4D bars and there are mounting points specifically on the bars for their MAS TT extensions on there. Although your position will be a compromise I think, you wouldn't have to swap everything to make it work. I don't have the TT extensions but it's a great bike, I really love how responsive and quick it feels without being too hard or nervous.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale SystemSix [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker, first time poster here.
For the owners (or designers) that run fully integrated mechanical setups through the handlebar, stem and head tube:

1.) Did you use an aftermarket cable system like Alligator iLink or Jagwire Elite Link to make the tight bends through the cockpit?

2.) Can you use the BB cable guide as a cable stop for the derailleurs (and rear brake if you’ve got mechanical discs)?

3.) How is the shifting performance? I’m planning on building with Campy SuperRecord 11spd with a Quarq PM and have heard the front derailleur can be finicky during shifts from small to big ring. I know Damon says it’s possible to do the full integration. But, it’s not endorsed by Cannondale and the shifting won’t be 100%.

Thanks for the input!

Brett Z

“Livin’ in a van down by the river”
Quote Reply

Prev Next