Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if Putin really wanted to fuck with Trump and further destabilize the power of our President, he would have his translator release a statement of things Trump said during their private meeting. May or may not be a net positive for him and Russia, but it would definitely hurt Trump.

Putin's translator could say just about anything and what could Trump do to defend himself? The Double Negative Defense has been played so perhaps he would pull out the He Misunderstood Me or The Translator Got it Wrong Defense.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
So if Putin really wanted to fuck with Trump and further destabilize the power of our President, he would have his translator release a statement of things Trump said during their private meeting. May or may not be a net positive for him and Russia, but it would definitely hurt Trump.

Putin's translator could say just about anything and what could Trump do to defend himself? The Double Negative Defense has been played so perhaps he would pull out the He Misunderstood Me or The Translator Got it Wrong Defense.

Not only that, but Putin could say false things about the private meeting and it would be on our trust of Trump on who to believe. Once again, why he should have had staff present during the meeting.
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
jmh wrote:

Not only that, but Putin could say false things about the private meeting and it would be on our trust of Trump on who to believe. Once again, why he should have had staff present during the meeting.

So here's a question:

Could Mueller subpoena Trump's translator from his private meeting with Putin?

It would be relevant to the investigation.
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
So here's a question:

Could Mueller subpoena Trump's translator from his private meeting with Putin?

It would be relevant to the investigation.

Sure he could, so could congress.
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
jmh wrote:
slowguy wrote:
With regard to his notes, my question is, what kind of mediocre writing staff does he have? A professional staff learns their boss’s style. There’s no way they didn’t know he was going to say “there’s was no collusion” somewhere in his remarks, so why did he have to add it as a note?

Maybe they are trying to keep him on message? I'm surprised he had to add the note to himself as he pretty much uses that phrase at every single press event and in many of his tweets. It is almost a reflex when a microphone and camera are pointed his way.

Do you think anyone can manage Trump or guide his words or actions? Can you imagine Trump without those in place who are trying?

The likelihood of no collusion is significantly higher than there being collusion. This is Trump’s way to delegitimize everything the Mueller investigation finds. “I told you there was no collusion. Witch-hunt.” It is the one weapon he has. Again, most likely for good reason.

Trump doesn't need to play the percentages; he knows if he colluded.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That is of course the reason you don't meet one on one with a leader like Putin. Putin has the media in Russia controlled so he can say whatever he wants without a lot of recourse but with Trump, it could all end up in a "he said" vs "he said" situation.

Given Trump's history of playing loose with facts and his recent aversion to saying anything bad about Putin means that even if Putin didn't have anything on him before, he does now. Putin could say just about anything he wants in terms of what happened during their meeting and Trump will be having to defend himself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

Why burn up a valuable asset? Right now Putin seems to be able to either directly control or at least manipulate Trump. It is in Putin's best interest not to destabilize Trump too much and risk having him impeached.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trump also just walked back his walkback from yesterday. DNI coats last week said that russia was still attacking the US. Trump today said it wasnt.

The big issue from the "summit" was the trump sided with Putin over the intelligence community. It looks like he still is.
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Trump also just walked back his walkback from yesterday. DNI coats last week said that russia was still attacking the US. Trump today said it wasnt.

The big issue from the "summit" was the trump sided with Putin over the intelligence community. It looks like he still is.

As NBC points out, it wasn't just one sentence that was the problem.

To be clear about the entirety of Trump’s remarks with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki, however, here are the president’s OTHER remarks from Monday that he didn’t try to clean up:
  • “I hold both countries responsible [for the decline in U.S.-Russian relations]. I think that the United States has been foolish. I think we’ve all been foolish.”

• “I think that the [Mueller] probe is a disaster for our country. I think it’s kept us apart. It’s kept us separated. There was no collusion at all. Everybody knows it.”

• “You have groups that are wondering why the FBI never took the [DNC's] server. Why haven’t they taken the server? Why was the FBI told to leave the office of the Democratic National Committee? I’ve been wondering that.”

• “What happened to Hillary Clinton’s emails? Thirty-three thousand emails gone — just gone. I think, in Russia, they wouldn’t be gone so easily. I think it’s a disgrace that we can’t get Hillary Clinton’s 33,000 emails.”

• “So I have great confidence in my intelligence people, but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today.”

• “And what [Putin] did is an incredible offer; he offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators with respect to the 12 [indicted Russians]. I think that’s an incredible offer.” (By the way, Putin’s condition for that offer? That Americans and U.S. residents who Russia believes have committed illegal actions should be questioned, too.)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

To be clear about the entirety of Trump’s remarks with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki, however, here are the president’s OTHER remarks from Monday that he didn’t try to clean up:
  • “I hold both countries responsible [for the decline in U.S.-Russian relations]. I think that the United States has been foolish. I think we’ve all been foolish.”

• “I think that the [Mueller] probe is a disaster for our country. I think it’s kept us apart. It’s kept us separated. There was no collusion at all. Everybody knows it.”

• “You have groups that are wondering why the FBI never took the [DNC's] server. Why haven’t they taken the server? Why was the FBI told to leave the office of the Democratic National Committee? I’ve been wondering that.”

• “What happened to Hillary Clinton’s emails? Thirty-three thousand emails gone — just gone. I think, in Russia, they wouldn’t be gone so easily. I think it’s a disgrace that we can’t get Hillary Clinton’s 33,000 emails.”

• “So I have great confidence in my intelligence people, but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today.”

• “And what [Putin] did is an incredible offer; he offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators with respect to the 12 [indicted Russians]. I think that’s an incredible offer.” (By the way, Putin’s condition for that offer? That Americans and U.S. residents who Russia believes have committed illegal actions should be questioned, too.)

People on the high end of the intelligence scale can appreciate how good he was in Helsinki. The rest of us? I guess we just aren’t going to ever get it. #sad
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

Yes, I'm glad you brought that up. He probably would have received more backlash on those if he didn't go way beyond all of those with his assertion that he trusted Putin more than US intelligence.

It was especially cringe-worthy to hear him refer to our country as being foolish. I'm pretty sure that is the first time I've heard that from a POTUS in that situation. He doesn't elaborate on how we were foolish, but you've got to assume it was a swipe at the Obama administration and the Mueller investigation. SAD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then there's this from today.

Quote:
Christina Wilkie‏Verified account More
BREAKING
Q: "Is Russia still targeting the U.S.?"
Trump: "No."
Just now in the Cabinet meeting.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
And then there's this from today.

Quote:

Christina Wilkie‏Verified account More
BREAKING
Q: "Is Russia still targeting the U.S.?"
Trump: "No."
Just now in the Cabinet meeting.

Quote:
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters that Trump was saying "no" to more questions, and not answering the specific question about Russia.

Dan Coats, Trump's director of national intelligence, had a very different assessment about Russian efforts to influence U.S. elections as recently as Monday.

https://www.cnbc.com/...e-united-states.html
Quote Reply
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. SHS has as little credibility as POTUS.

2. Did you see the video of him saying "no" to the question? What was your assessment of his answer?
Mine was he says "no" and leans forward for more questions. See #1. SHS is full of shit.

3. Dan Coats has got to be pulling what's left of his hair out.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its so stupid.

Last week Coats said that U.S. digital infrastructure is "under attack." Russia, the intelligence director asserted, is the "worst offender" among foreign entities. In response trump said "I don't know if I agree with that,"

So last week you didnt agree with Coats, this morning you didnt agree with coats, but all of this is just some big misunderstanding because of your lack of grasp of the English language?

how does trump plan to beat russian election interference if he cannot even say the "magic words" "Radical Russian terrorists meddled in our election!"
Last edited by: patentattorney: Jul 18, 18 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Coats get surprised by his boss again.

http://thehill.com/...-us-intel-chief-that

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

I am really impressed that Putin can keep a straight face during all of this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
jmh wrote:

And the next article says that the Russians are testing nuclear cruise missiles and nuclear underwater drones. That must have been some meeting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That's only in public. You can bet that there is a lot of celebrating going on in the Kremlin this week. The FSB staff must feel like it's Christmas with Trump performing better than anyone could have imagined.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Jul 19, 18 23:57
Re: "I don't see any reason why it would be." [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
jmh wrote:

Wow, what a soap opera the current administration has turned into....

That little showpiece right there (being left out of the loop) is a not so veiled signal for Coats to better start looking for a new job...

When asked if he could stay in his job, Coats said he would remain in it for as long as he could "seek the truth, and speak the truth."

That sounded like a bit of a warning and challenge to Trump. I doubt Trump will fire anyone pre-midterms, but some may resign. John Kelly is probably desperate to leave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next