Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Social media and race results
Quote | Reply
I have a question that could extend to the main page but I'd rather not be eaten alive for asking it.

How many excellent results do you get to have while posting, "not my best result or what I wanted / was capable of" etc before it seems... distasteful? I'd love to have the kind of confidence in myself to feel comfortable thinking such things but still, kinda think it would be arrogant of me to post so if I did. Actually, forget arrogant, I'd feel like a jack ass.

It's true my point of view is skewed to the "nobody cares (what I do)" side of life and my perspective on this is probably just my issue. None the less, curious what other women(s) think.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Social media and race results [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A decent chunk of my social media is comprised of cycling club members, friends I've met through another online health and fitness forum, and people who are in my close "circle" but have nothing to do with anything SBR-related. So it seems like whatEVER I post, it's met with a certain mixed commentary of awe, cheerleading, and people who "get it". And everyone else just ignores it. I usually post my race autopsy/recap for the H&F people, so they know the full story behind whatever 32 word blurb I post in other places.

But yeah, I get it. I want to brood or just be meh about results from any given day and the "OMG YOU ARE AMAZEBALLS" lines seem so trite. But I also take that with a grain of salt that these people genuinely care about me and are happy that I put myself out there at all. And I also extend that to my other friends who don't have their best days on the line, and offer whatever tea and sympathy they may want or need.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about people that "humblebrag"? Cause that annoys me. If you did well, own it.

But the are a lot of people faster than me who might have what I consider a good result, but they were expecting/hoping to do better. Just because their result would make me happy, it might not make them happy.

If they do it everytime though - I'd get annoyed.

There are a few people that annoy me everytime they post - but I'm pretty sure that's a me problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Social media and race results [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:

There are a few people that annoy me everytime they post - but I'm pretty sure that's a me problem.

I have that issue too, lol. I think everyone has their BECs and social media magnifies the BEC factor by a thousand.

Quote Reply
Re: Social media and race results [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:

I have that issue too, lol. I think everyone has their BECs and social media magnifies the BEC factor by a thousand.

Mine is my sister. In real life she's awesome and I love her. Her carefully crafted social media persona makes me crazy. Unfollowing her on Facebook was a lifesaver - too bad Instagram doesn't have that option...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:

Mine is my sister. In real life she's awesome and I love her. Her carefully crafted social media persona makes me crazy. Unfollowing her on Facebook was a lifesaver - too bad Instagram doesn't have that option...

You can mute them. That way they don't get all e-hurt about it and you don't have to see their posts. Win-win.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely post anything about races, etc....besides "I finished" -- at the end of the day I try to remember that I do this crazy sport for myself and not for validation.

On that same note, I "changed" my mindset and feel sorry for people who have to "humblebrag" or post about every workout, every century ride, claim "martyrdom" because they've "overcome so much and feel so empowered." They are obviously in need for a lot of validation with social media is ready to hand out.......Mute, Hide, Unfollow.....and you're life will get much better!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day there was a blogger who was unhappy with her run time and pretty much trash talked herself, saying she was barely jogging and didn't deserve to be out there, meanwhile running a time I would have been thrilled with. That gave me a WTF??? and honestly I wasn't as big a fan of her afterwards.

BUT, I recognize that if you are pro or elite, yes, running my PR pace would be a bad day for you. BUT BUT, you don't have to be a jackass and alienate most of your social media following, either. I mean, I have voiced disappointment with my marathon time before, but I can still recognize that the ability to run 26.2 is something not everyone has, you know?

I think it comes down to the pressure to curate a perfect social media life. And seriously, if someone bothers you that much, it's probably best for your mental health to block or unfollow. I don't do it much on Instagram but have been on a Facebook purge lately and it has made me so much happier, honestly.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get having a goal, working to achieve it, and admitting to a little disappointment the goal wasn't reached. I also get posting about joy in successes as paces, etc get faster. And I get that one person's successful day can be someone else's bad day. And some of my friends have toned down what they post now that they've settled into their new found identities as fast people.

Maybe it mainly boils down to a difference in approach to social media. There was just something about the listing of results seemingly expressed with enthusiasm that were preceeded with something resembling disappointment that struck me. I'm unsure the person's intent was to humble brag but maybe the post reads so anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: Social media and race results [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny, your response reminded me of taboo topics. At one time I'd talk to my dad about training as he was one person who sorta got it - he's a runner. But then I stopped. His input started to feel to judgy, like my goals and approach were wrong. So much so that "BQ'ing" is now a hot button / trigger word for me. (I do not now, nor have I ever, had any interest.)

Race results has stopped being something I talk about much with this individual now too. I have trouble partitioning distaste for results that I'm nowhere near obtaining. But I can't put my finger on why it bothers me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami, good question.
I find faux humility as annoying as the deluge mirror selfies.
Some of my social media is self-serving validation, of course, but I've tried to share more about uncovering and overcoming past performance ghosts (and that was before my cycling accident) and a sort of athletic impostor syndrome that kept me on the sidelines after college. That anxiety and shame can haunt all levels but that doesn't resonate with everyone.
I try to keep things real when I race with a retrospective on what went well and what can be improved -- if I swing and miss, I say so. I also started doing #FailFriday to keep things a little more real on regular training.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a rule of thumb that I try to follow on social media as far as race results: if I won my AG, podium'd, or PR'd, I don't complain about my time, even if I am secretly unhappy with the result because I had a different expectation for myself. I don't think everyone needs to blow sunshine all the time on social media and I actually like it when people keep it real, but I try to have some awareness that my bad day may be someone else's best case scenario and it seems like poor form to complain about things like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Social media and race results [jenschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make a good point and I try to remember this too. For example, I admittedly scoff at gigantic finisher medals. I don't see the point b/c I do several races and I find them gaudy as hell. But the race that's just "another race" to me is someone else's big deal.

Quote Reply
Re: Social media and race results [jenschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jenschaf, this is a good rule.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well... in some ways one could argue that the only thing that matters in this world is how other people react to our own behaviors, regardless of what is actually happening inside your mind. That said, everybody is going to react slightly different. IMHO, hang around the people (friend, follow, like, whatever the platform) that react in a way that helps you be a healthier person and be aware of the people that react in a different way so you can be aware of diverse perspectives.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In answer to the OP's question, why would anyone post race results at all, unless they are a professional athlete? I've seen the way my husband's and my kids' eyes glaze over when I try to tell them my time and rankings from that trail race at the weekend...

Literally, nobody cares about the race results of amateur athletes. Nobody.

If you want to know your friends and family know how you did at a race, why not just let them know gutted/disappointed/elated you are about the result, without giving times?

I agree with the OP that anyone who mentions an objectively good time, and then talks of their disappointment, is just a "jack ass".

PS. So, at that 10km trail race, I ran 52-something, 11th woman out of 41. Yeah, I know that's slow, but it was really hilly.
Quote Reply
Re: Social media and race results [alexxm21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I've got no grief for people posting about a result, even with time included.
"I ran X, I wanted Y, and I'm a bit disappointed." No problem.
"Missed my goal time but it was still fun to be the fastest 40-year old woman today." Also fine.
"I'm totally better than this result reflects, I guess winning my AG is ok though." Ouch.

My friends list is mixed. Some know what a good 5k time is for me, others don't know what a 5k is. I ran really hard yesterday for 31:50 and enjoyed it - should cut across all demographics. This was the final leg (5k) of the 7-stage triathlon I did. A super cool little event called Survival of the Mills. Neat trail run, open and sandy in places plus twisty hilly single track over wooden planks / foot bridges. Just a blast!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was talking about social media with a friend last night at dinner. I was saying that Facebook causes me to dislike many people that I might normally enjoy in person. Not everyone, but some people (athletes and non-athletes).

It's nice to share aspects of our life. As humans we all have the need to share our lives. But some people don't seem know when too much is too much...…. whether it's daily workouts statistics every single day, weekly race results, endless vacation spam, too many photos of children, etc. Everything in moderation please!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Social media and race results [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thread. This is something I have been struggling with, so it was interesting to read people's thoughts on it.

I have never really been into social media, but recently got an Instagram account and set up a website/blog. Having earned my pro card a few months ago, I feel like it is an obligation to post stuff about my training and racing.

They say that when you stop seeing ways you can improve, you will stop improving, so I usually try to include both positives and negatives. But if the positive is that you won the race, then I guess any negatives (like not achieving a time goal) can easily come across as a humble brag.

On the other hand, if I have a race where I am really struggling, I want to be honest about that, too. As others have mentioned, it feels really awkward when people say "OMG you are amazing" when you know you should have been able to go faster. The Augusta 70.3 last weekend was a great example. I was 13th out of 14 pros, and also got beaten by a handful of age groupers. My run split was eleven minutes slower than my run PR. It is tough to figure out how to write about that, acknowleging the disappointments, while still realizing that the vast majority of participants would happy to trade times with me.

One thing I'm trying to do is list specifics: "I was thrilled with my swim, but bonked on the run", instead of making a blanket statement about whether it was a good race or not.

Just learning the ropes of the social media stuff, so it's useful to see people's thoughts on what is and isn't good to say about race results.

Cheers,
Ginger

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Last edited by: gingersnaps: Sep 30, 18 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Social media and race results [gingersnaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My coach handles social media and sponsorships for some of her pro clients. She will share race results for her pro athletes on social media so it takes the burden off the athletes. She also does that (sometimes) for age-groupers who she coaches too which is nice. I personally don't feel comfortable sharing my own results/rankings on social media even when I do well. I prefer to post random, fun photos of a race, maybe a photo or two from finisherpix that doesn't suck, the race venue, my husband racing :-), and maybe some scenery if it's a destination race. But that's just me. I think whatever people want to post is fine. I like hearing about how someone did in a race and what they had to overcome to finish or win. Moderation is always key. "Keep it classy" :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply