Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First 2-Gun Match
Quote | Reply
Shot my first competition match this past Saturday. Four stages, four squads, rifle + handgun, paper and steel targets, hostage no-targets, max 100 yards. Was at the range for about 7 hours, from registration through cleanup.

I've taken a number of classes & shot a couple indoor leagues, but this was waaaaay outside my comfort level. Nothing like having 10 other dudes (who all knew what they were doing) watch every step and every shot I made. Everyone was friendly enough, though. Overall, it was a lot of fun.

> The organizers were very strict about safety rules and what would result in an instant DQ or banishment from the range. I only saw one DQ, and it was because someone's holster retention failed and his handgun fell out while running.
> I shot a stock Ruger AR556 with Holotech red dot & .45 cal Glock 21 with iron sights. It seemed like mine was the only stock rifle there...
> Now I'm dreaming of a .300 BLK and a suppressor.
> First stage went well until the mag change, when the new mag jammed too far into the mag well, confused the crap out of the hammer & bolt, and rendered the rifle useless. Lots of penalty points for un-engaged targets. No mechanical problems the rest of the day.
> I impressed myself plinking steel targets at 100 yards from a semi-kneeling position.
> And, finally (from the night before): the little pin above the trigger isn't a takedown pin, it's the hammer pin. Oops.

Overall, I didn't finish so well (not even in the top 80%), so there's plenty of room for improvement. It reminded me of getting started in triathlon many years ago.

There are a couple more monthly matches to do this summer... then a 2-day event in September called the Michigan Combat Rifle Championship. Hmmmmm...

Anyone else have experience with 2-gun matches or some good stories?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: First 2-Gun Match [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you had fun, it's always fun to try something new. Your magazine malfunction is... unusual. What type of magazines were you using? What precisely happened with the bolt? Wouldn't close?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Anyone else have experience with 2-gun matches or some good stories?

Yes and his name is TheForge !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: First 2-Gun Match [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relatively new Gen 2 PMag. I yanked it out while someone else held the rifle. The plastic notch was deformed, leading us to believe it was over-inserted. But the PMags have the insertion limit feature, so I'm not sure.

On the reload, I inserted the new mag as usual (I thought) and gave it a yank - all seemed well. Maybe I was extra-excited and gave it a super-insertion, who knows...

It wasn't a double feed. I thought the guy who was helping said the hammer was behind the bolt, or in front of the bolt, or something - the internal pieces were confused and not where they were supposed to be, whatever happened. After yanking out the mag, we cycled the action a few times and everyone was happy again.

It was one of those failures where, when the instructor asks, "What do you do next?" the correct response is "Run".

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hammer in front of the bolt would prevent the bolt from closing but, tbh, I don't think that malfunction is even possible with an AR. Regarding the magazine, send it back to Magpul. Very unusual malfunction.
Quote Reply