Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Educate me on practical application of some Ironman rules
Quote | Reply
In August, I'm going to cover the bike leg for a relay team at Ironman Tallinn. Since I've been a road biker all my sporting life, this is going to be my first Ironman-type-of-event participation ever, albeit a partial one (so let's call it just a 180km TT :) ). Looking around the official Ironman site, I did not find event specific rulebook, although, as far as I understand, there should be one? Anyway, then I went to study the "generic" Ironman rules, but some questions still remain unanswered, at least for me.

My main question is (obviously, associated with more-aero), are long sleeve (here I mean - sleeves extending up to wrists) speedsuits allowed, provided this is a wetsuit legal race? The generic rulebook doesn't specifically ban them? But, if the race is not wetsuit legal, then it looks like speedsuits are banned due to clothing limits imposed on the swimming leg?

How about aero-improving calf guards, like Tripsockz and similar?

What I also found quite weird, is that online information seems to be quite limited, course maps are available, but without any marked points for penalty tents, feeding zones etc. So this means that more detailed information will be available basically on pre-race day only by obtaining athlete starter pack? Is this normal for Ironman events?

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on practical application of some Ironman rules [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All that information can normally found in the Athlete's Guide which is published sometime around 4 weeks before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on practical application of some Ironman rules [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the bike you can wear anything - you're allowed a full change of gear at each transition.

The course map with the marked points is usually in the athlete guide (which is usually available by now).

You can expect about 6 speed stations on the bike - fairly evenly spaced.

Wish I could be there - enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 aid station for a half. Not sure of exact miles for august, but I'd think 15,30, 45...you usually have a notice about a .5 mile before you get to one.
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on practical application of some Ironman rules [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tallinn is a full
Quote Reply
Re: Educate me on practical application of some Ironman rules [pvl000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it. I read it as Augusta and not August at first [m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full sleeves and calf guards only matter for the swimmer in a non-wetsuit swim. You can wear whatever you want and go with a full Spider-Man costume on the bike irregardless of the swim rules.
Quote Reply