Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P2 SL as a first TT bike.
Quote | Reply
Hey, everyone, I am a roadie who enjoys an occasional TT, triathlon, or duathlon. My favorite race is a hilly duathlon that is a 5k and hilly 17.5 mi bike. I got beat by a guy on a fancy TT bike with deep wheels last year, and that wasn't fun!

Anyway, I just picked a cervelo P2 SL frame for less than $100 on the bay. In reading various reviews and forum posts, it was very aero in it's time And not too far off the P3C. Is it still decent and will it still save me quite a few watts over my SS EVO with aero bars? I figured for the price it might be a good start.

It is a 54, which is smaller than my 58 EVO, but I have also read that TT bikes need to be smaller anyway. I am a 6' normally proportioned dude.

Any thoughts or advice on any of this is appreciated.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 SL as a first TT bike. [BLD 25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd guess this frame will have a lot of drop so choose your aero bars carefully. Most of your improvement will be from the position.
$100 is a steal for that frame. Fast wheels, tyres and bars and you won't lose much to newer bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man. I keep looking for just such a deal. O.O

P2s are kind of one of those timeless frames, imo. Have one myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a steal. If you it gives you any piece of mind, I'm 6 ft and pretty average in proportion and ride a 54cm P2 very comfortably.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 SL as a first TT bike. [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
I'd guess this frame will have a lot of drop so choose your aero bars carefully. Most of your improvement will be from the position.
$100 is a steal for that frame. Fast wheels, tyres and bars and you won't lose much to newer bikes.

And, an aero TT helmet.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 SL as a first TT bike. [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
awesome! Thanks to the replies so far. I found an s works transition for more, which I am sure is nicer, but you guys say this is still good? So I should see an improvement in my splits over my EVO and aero bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 56, and I'm 6' with a 33" inseam. Been riding my P2SL for ten years or so. And, mine has a "Slowtwitch approved" sticker on it!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLD 25 wrote:
Hey, everyone, I am a roadie who enjoys an occasional TT, triathlon, or duathlon. My favorite race is a hilly duathlon that is a 5k and hilly 17.5 mi bike. I got beat by a guy on a fancy TT bike with deep wheels last year, and that wasn't fun!

Anyway, I just picked a cervelo P2 SL frame for less than $100 on the bay. In reading various reviews and forum posts, it was very aero in it's time And not too far off the P3C. Is it still decent and will it still save me quite a few watts over my SS EVO with aero bars? I figured for the price it might be a good start.

It is a 54, which is smaller than my 58 EVO, but I have also read that TT bikes need to be smaller anyway. I am a 6' normally proportioned dude.

Thanks!

I am 6’ and perfect fit is the 10 year old 54 P2 I ride

I think you can get a full bike for around $800 of you look for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 SL as a first TT bike. [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
BLD 25 wrote:

Thanks!

I am 6’ and perfect fit is the 10 year old 54 P2 I ride

I think you can get a full bike for around $800 of you look for a while.
nice! Actually, I picked up the frame for $83
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLD 25 wrote:

Thanks!
I rode a P2SL for 4.5 years and loved it to death. If you can get a good aero fit on it, you'll definitely save watts over an SS Evo. I will say that when I replaced the bike with a 2014 P2 (same frame as P3C w/different fork), I saw noticeable improvement right away, but probably much less than going from a SS Evo to a TT frame. And at $100, that's a freakin' steal of a deal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, smart pickup. That's a very fast frame if you can get dialed in properly. A few accessories like mentioned above and you are as quick as most of the newer rigs out there (engine dependent, of course).

I kept mine for a Frankenstein project. Hacked off road setup, use it for commuting and the occasional ~1hr hammerfest with a local group. It's best served in the tri setup, obviously, but this has been fun.

Anyways, great pickup, way to get in the game without dropping a ton of coin! Nice job. Some others should take note!

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 SL as a first TT bike. [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Thanks, guys! I just need to find a basebar and brakes and I should be set!
Last edited by: BLD 25: Jul 17, 18 19:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a older P2c and will def agree with the others that is is a fast bike! I swapped the base bar to a shimano pro missile, but haven't made any other changes besides wheels. When I have some extra dough to spend I will likely get a pair of brakes, and maybe some OPW.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 SL as a first TT bike. [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for all, does an "official" P2 Thread exist on SlowTwitch? I ride a 2016 p2.. Couldn't find one.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 SL as a first TT bike. [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have an older (2009) P2C, with a few upgrades over the years - wheels (obviously) brakes, bars, stem, bike fit etc. With limitless $$ I would love a newer superbike but I really can't justify it for the gains that I would likely get. I should concentrate on better training and losing some kg's...

But under a hundy for a P2SL? That's a steal (or is it aluminium/aluminum? Bahahaha).

I'm a long legged 6 foot dude and ride 56. If your's fits you, it should serve you well. Check the headtube tho, alu likes to crack there with press fit headsets.
Quote Reply