Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Women, what wheels (depth) did you use?
Quote | Reply
My wife qualified for Kona at IMWI last year and she can't decide on what wheels to race with. She'd normally run Aeolus 7 (70mm deep) or 9 (90mm deep) up front with a disc in the back. Obviously can't run the disc but she's not sure how shallow to go up front and if she should run a 7 vs the 9 in the back or if thats even to deep.

If you've raced at Kona for the World Champs, can you please post what depth wheels you ran front and back and if you thought it was too deep, too shallow, or just right?

Thanks!
Last edited by: SiRcivic27: Jul 15, 18 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women, what wheels (depth) did you use? [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced Kona several times and have used Zipp 404 in front and 808 in back and that was just right for me. I'm a smaller athlete though (110 lbs at Kona) and really not a power biker. I think its better to be a bit more conservative and not worry as much about controlling your bike descending from Hawi, but if she's a strong cyclist, she may be able to handle a deeper wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your wife's KQ!

When I rode the course (NOT during the race, but vacationing in February) my impression was of how strong the winds were. As is evident from my screen name, I am also a little person and between the cross winds and the vacuum created by trucks going by, I was glad to be only on training wheels. My $.02 would be to choose conservatively, as the disc prohibition is for a very real reason ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you both for your feedback, it is very helpful to know this information from other amateurs. She's been looking at photos of the pro women wheel choices but pro vs amateur is different in my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced last year on 60/88samd thought they were perfect! I’m a little bigger - 5’10, 145 lbs so I don’t get thrown around too easy but I didn’t have any issues with them
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Women, what wheels (depth) did you use? [ktommila] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I think we've settled on the 9 out back and will be taking Aeolus XXX 4 and 6 as options for the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced with 808s, but I've done honu with Flo 90s. I lived in Hawaii at the time and the wind wasn't a big deal for me. I just held on tight and pushed the power descending Hawi to get through that section as fast as i could.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More importantly, did you RSVP for the Slowtwitch Kona Gathering over on the main forum?

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply