Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replace rim tape before race?
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Beginner question here I’m hoping you guys can help me with - I’m getting ready for my first IM next week and I’m in the process of installing new tires and tubes.

The rim tape I use (Stan’s) has a few holes in it from various punctures, tire levers, etc. Any advice on whether I should replace the rim tape as well, or is it fine?

Here’s an example of some of the “damage”: https://imgur.com/a/6lA40hV

Nothing affecting the cover of the spoke holes, though.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Last edited by: JonathanNYC: Jul 14, 18 16:53
Quote Reply
Re: Replace rim tape before race? [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need that will be fine. It's the tube pushing through sharper edges of the rim holes it is protecting your tube from.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace rim tape before race? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice! That’s what I figured, but I wanted to get another set of eyes. I know I’m overthinking it, but just want to make sure that I’m not making any stupid mistakes prior to my first IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha you wait to trying to sleep the night before the race. My suggestion there is write down your race and nutrition plans and a list of everything you need to check off so you feel satisfied you have left no stone unturned and forgotten nothing. Your brain will still probably race and you won't get much sleep but I think it certainly helps. Good luck...
Quote Reply
Re: Replace rim tape before race? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Haha you wait to trying to sleep the night before the race. My suggestion there is write down your race and nutrition plans and a list of everything you need to check off so you feel satisfied you have left no stone unturned and forgotten nothing. Your brain will still probably race and you won't get much sleep but I think it certainly helps. Good luck...
Thanks! Yep, that’s the plan. Already having trouble sleeping and the race is still one week out, so certainly will be trying everything and anything to calm my mind at bit. Couldn’t sleep a wink before my first triathlon a few months ago and think it definitely had an impact on my race day performance (although not as much as I would’ve imagined)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tape should be fine if you're currently having no issues. It's always best not to change anything right before a race unless something is broken, about to fail, or you have enough time to test it out. You're better off racing on the tape as it is now, then replace it later on. If you were to replace the tape now, you expose something that could lead to a tube puncture, etc. Not to mention, if you screw up putting on new tape, then don't have any extra and no time to get it. Good luck!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply