Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV
Quote | Reply
It's amazing. More so that the two fastest cars this year are electrics

The technology is amazing. AWD, they deliver huge power and torque, have enormous down force

I suspect in years to come hydrocarbon cars will just look dated, not from a technology perspective but from a performance perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

The technology is amazing. AWD, they deliver huge power and torque, have enormous down force

I suspect in years to come hydrocarbon cars will just look dated, not from a technology perspective but from a performance perspective.

The speed thing is already there for the electrics but I think it will still be awhile before an electric vehicle wins the LeMans 24 hrs. They won't dominate the consumer market until the range is increased.
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I accept that. Fast laps for hybrids at Nurburgring and electrics is one thing. Scaling power is different

Though the pit stop doc on Redbull pointed out the size pre pitstop of tanks in vehicles.

Performance wise if storage of power can be matched to that of hydrocarbons its almost certainly game over.
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pikes Peak? I liked it better when part of it was unpaved.
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:

I drove up to Pikes Peak 2 years ago. I was back in Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago and refused to drive it again. It was nerve wracking going up slow, I can't imagine racing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminder. I love watching Goodwood, but mostly for the older vintage race cars, one offs, etc.

I'm in agreement about electric race cars. The performance potential is huge and were just seeing the beginning. Yes, the range is a limiting factor but it will improve. I foresee quick change battery packs pit stops being a potential option.

What I'd really like to see is an unlimited F1 style race series with only basic rules (ie: specific driver safety criteria, 4 wheels, must fit in certain size "box", controlled by driver in the car, etc"). Let's see what the engineers and drivers can really do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Goodwood, but you will appreciate the speed!

My balls are not big enough to drive like this in a video game!

And... like my wife's car it's a hybrid:
https://wired.com/story/porsche-919-hybrid-evo/
"Turns out, when you get to ignore the rules that govern the World Endurance Championship (which includes Le Mans), there's a lot you can do to go faster. Porsche's engineers cut the weight of the carbon fiber and aluminum car by 86 pounds, to 1872 pounds, by dropping useless frills like the windshield wipers, lights, air conditioner, electronic race controls, and the pneumatic jack. They also tweaked the exterior aerodynamics, generating 53 percent more downforce, the all-important stuff that keeps the car stuck to the pavement when it's clocking jumbo jet takeoff speeds. They upgraded the suspension and tires to deal with the extra loads.
The Evo carries the same two-liter, turbocharged V4 engine as the Le Mans-winning car, minus the fuel flow meter that limits how much gasoline goes kaboom. Combined with a software tweak, that upped its output from 500 horsepower to 720 horsepower. The car uses two energy recovery systems, generating electricity from braking and the exhaust. That’s stored in a liquid-cooled lithium ion battery, and then used to drive an electric motor on the front axle while the engine drives the rear, for maximum all-wheel-drive acceleration. Without imposed limits, that motor now adds another 440 horsepower (as much as the total power of a BMW M3), up 10 percent."

Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was amazing with the caveat that no one had really put any effort in to it for 3 decades

It's impressive due to the drop in time but had porsche or anyone else put effort in over the years it would have gone sooner

The production car records I think are the most amazing
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
Thanks for the reminder. I love watching Goodwood, but mostly for the older vintage race cars, one offs, etc.

I'm in agreement about electric race cars. The performance potential is huge and were just seeing the beginning. Yes, the range is a limiting factor but it will improve. I foresee quick change battery packs pit stops being a potential option.

What I'd really like to see is an unlimited F1 style race series with only basic rules (ie: specific driver safety criteria, 4 wheels, must fit in certain size "box", controlled by driver in the car, etc"). Let's see what the engineers and drivers can really do!

The Goodwood vintage event is #1 on my must do someday list of automobile events. But for now, the closest I can get is the Watkins Glen vintage event this September.
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
50+ wrote:

I drove up to Pikes Peak 2 years ago. I was back in Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago and refused to drive it again. It was nerve wracking going up slow, I can't imagine racing it.

Will be cycling up Pike's this summer. Hope it's not too bad!

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

The speed thing is already there for the electrics but I think it will still be awhile before an electric vehicle wins the LeMans 24 hrs. They won't dominate the consumer market until the range is increased.

When solid state batteries are available, I think it will be the tipping point. Much better range and lower fire risk.

The race rules can also be changed to allow battery swaps, just like they allow swapping of tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you heard of Formule e?
Season 4 is wrapping up this weekend
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

SHhh don't tell them.. in about 10 yrs they will find it and think its amazing new shit.

In a 3 or 4 yrs they will be posting about how its amazing to see a production EV that is getting 230 mile range for under $40k before rebate's.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0-60 bragging has been killed by Tesla.
I would recommend anyone to try a Tesla in a straight line.
The acceleration is amazing.

Soon al the big car companies will dive in 100%.
All my friends in Norway are just buying electric cars.

My favorite right now is the Jaguar I-pace. But I cannot wait for the new VW, Audi and MB.
The Koreans are coming out with good ones also.
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:

Yes, I have heard of formula E. A 200 kw car, top speed of ~ 145 mph, mid race car swap. While impressive, still slow compared to F1. The 2nd gen car looks to be more impressive. Are they racing it this year or next?

What i was referring to above was a truly unlimited class of racing. Power plant of choice, do whatever you want for suspension and aerodynamics, spare no expense. Just let the engineers go nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

SHhh don't tell them.. in about 10 yrs they will find it and think its amazing new shit.

In a 3 or 4 yrs they will be posting about how its amazing to see a production EV that is getting 230 mile range for under $40k before rebate's.

Don't know where the smugness is coming from.

I won't be amazed to see a production EV with a decent price and an adequate range. I'm not attached to or enamoured with ICE as a vehicle power plant going forward.

What does amaze me is that we're not there yet. You work for GM. Why haven't we made this happen yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
50+ wrote:

Will be cycling up Pike's this summer. Hope it's not too bad!

I rode up it in 2016 on a poor-fitting rental bike. Best ride of my life. I hope you enjoy it!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
Yes, I have heard of formula E. A 200 kw car, top speed of ~ 145 mph, mid race car swap. While impressive, still slow compared to F1. The 2nd gen car looks to be more impressive. Are they racing it this year or next?

They are racing the generation 2 car next season, although the season starts this year (December 15).

I've really enjoyed watching FE - I think the racing has been entertaining, the technology improvements have been interesting, and it has also been interesting in seeing who the players are, as most of the major manufacturers have gotten involved over time.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't follow formula E closely but saw some stuff that made it sound like the mid-race car switch won't happen next year. What are the doing instead?
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the new cars, there will be no pit stops at all. The new car has twice the battery capacity of the current car, so there is no need for the swap. The races will be limited to 45 minutes plus one lap, and I imagine that is also to ensure the range is there.

It will be interesting to see how the racing changes without the car swap. I know a lot of people didn't like it. It was certainly different than what we are used to with other forms of motorsport, but added an interesting element to the race.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Re: Good wood. If you like cars. Watch the hill climb on Redbull TV [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watching dumas race the vw pikes peak electric car up the hill climb was just amazing

He put half a second in to the field in the first 100m. The acceleration was just bonkers

It's interesting that the reality of buying a hot hatch or a M3 or rs3 or any other vehicle for performance is going to be dated much sooner that anticipated

When you have the range plus downforce of f1 combined with instant power racing is going to be spectacular
Quote Reply