Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Democrats moving left? I don't see that. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Norm, thanks for posting that link. Though this was a good thread, I think that was more informative than all of the anecdotal information posted here.

The part you quoted from the bottom link, I disagree with:

"The Pew data, however, make it clear that the shift toward the extreme has happened among Democrats, not Republicans."

In my opinion, the data shows that it has happened in BOTH parties. The graphs on page 12 and 13 sum it up best, but it visualized the same inference I was getting from scanning through the 20 or so graphs.

I was listening to a pod cast recently where they were discussing modern social media technology and its impact on society and they were fearful that this may be the new norm. Mainly because people can create ideological bubbles for themselves.

i would post my thesis here, but i've already done it three times, it seems like no one is interested in it, which is fine, so i'll leave it up to you all.

I thought I understood your position, but, perhaps I do not. I thought your point was that the DNC was not, as a whole, moving left. Instead, it was moving in both directions trying to cater to the far left while brining in some disenfranchised GOP loyalists. Correct? Is that wholly inconsistent with Barry's point?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"i would post my thesis here, but i've already done it three times, it seems like no one is interested in it, which is fine, so i'll leave it up to you all. "

Don't take it personally. Its a work day and there's a lot of things I could be reading. I skimmed and the pew poll caught my eye.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what its worth, the poll seems to be addressing the beliefs of voters. It doesn't take into consideration a lot of points you've brought up, like what kind of voters the leadership is going to try to attract, or a willingness to comprising, etc.

Hypothetically speaking, half the people can have a far left opinion on a subject while half the people can have a far right opinion, which is what the poll shows. What it doesn't take into account is what happens from a political standpoint if one party tries to attract the few remaining in the middle, or if one party is willing to compromise while the other one demands a stringer shift to their position.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Democrats moving left? I don't see that. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Slowman wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Norm, thanks for posting that link. Though this was a good thread, I think that was more informative than all of the anecdotal information posted here.

The part you quoted from the bottom link, I disagree with:

"The Pew data, however, make it clear that the shift toward the extreme has happened among Democrats, not Republicans."

In my opinion, the data shows that it has happened in BOTH parties. The graphs on page 12 and 13 sum it up best, but it visualized the same inference I was getting from scanning through the 20 or so graphs.

I was listening to a pod cast recently where they were discussing modern social media technology and its impact on society and they were fearful that this may be the new norm. Mainly because people can create ideological bubbles for themselves.

i would post my thesis here, but i've already done it three times, it seems like no one is interested in it, which is fine, so i'll leave it up to you all.

I thought I understood your position, but, perhaps I do not. I thought your point was that the DNC was not, as a whole, moving left. Instead, it was moving in both directions trying to cater to the far left while brining in some disenfranchised GOP loyalists. Correct? Is that wholly inconsistent with Barry's point?

yeah, i think you have it. with these addenda: the true test of the party trajectory is...

1. what happens at the polls, not who makes the most noise.
2. the party's legislative agenda, should it regain power.

i see a lot of articles saying the party is moving to the left. over the last few days i've seen a number of pushback articles saying, not so fast; that's not reflective of the reality on the ground. i may be way wrong, and if i am i'm happy to acknowledge it the day after the polls close. i haven't seen a bunch of lefties winning primaries over centrist democrats. i don't see the purity tests. the democratic party is going to prevail or succumb based on whether the various wings realize this ideological elasticity is a strength or a weakness; and the party's trajectory will be reflected in how the party votes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next